[solved] LAV audio over HDMI not working until I pause then continue a video (1 Viewer)

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Have you set the hdmi audio device to be used as the default device?
    View attachment 192073

In the Windows 'Playback Devices' control panel, if you select HDMI output and hit 'Configure' then run the speaker test, do you hear anything?

If you click on the LAV Audio system tray icon (when MP is playing), I *think* LAV can show you a live sound 'levels' display somewhere, which should enable you check if sound is getting that far i.e. LAV is decoding it (assuming bitstreaming is disabled).

Statick

Portal Pro
    December 25, 2008
    Home Country
    Good idea, I hadn't thought to try that - seems it works fine when I play from Windows Media Player, the audio plays over HDMI just fine.

Statick

Portal Pro
    December 25, 2008
    Home Country
    yes the speaker test in HDMI config works fine, and again the button beeps that happen when you navigate the MP menus have always worked over HDMI audio, it's just audio from video playback that isn't working

Statick

Portal Pro
    December 25, 2008
    Home Country
    okay so the LAV audio system tray icon does indeed show levels - and they are lighting up to show output to L and R, it's 2 channel PCM, 48khz 16-bit which should all be fine for my TV. and yet no audio comes out.

Statick

Portal Pro
    December 25, 2008
    Home Country
    okay this is weird - since putting MP into windowed mode, and opening up the LAV audio codec, and poking around at it a bit, the audio suddenly kicked in. it suddenly started the audio from the very start, even though at this point the video was about 3 minutes in, so it was terribly out of sync, but it was at least making sound! so I stopped the video, then started it again from the menu, and now it seems to be working! put MP back into fullscreen mode and it's still working. not entirely sure what has brought this about, but if it stops working again I shall be back!

Statick

Portal Pro
    December 25, 2008
    Home Country
    I've been away for most of the last week so only came back to this today

the problem persists - and I've narrowed it down further. when I press play, the video starts playing but with no sound. if I then pause the video, then press play again, the video continues and also the sound starts playing from the beginning. the video then goes a bit weird (running quickly, freezing, etc) while the sound catches up, and after that it's fine. subsequent video plays behave the same way, requiring that I pause and continue the video before sound will work.

this happens every time if I run the sound over the HDMI output, and only from MP2. if I run the sound over the headphone jack, or if I use a different media player, then it works correctly every time.

Last edited:

Statick

Portal Pro
    December 25, 2008
    Home Country
    more updates, I just installed MP1 alongside MP2 and that's behaving correctly, with audio working as expected, all using the same LAV filters and configurations as MP2 (i.e. LAV selected for everything)

this problem seems to be unique to MP2, as all other media players (windows media, MPC-HC and VLC all tested) work properly as well, so I'm going to chalk this up to a bug in MP2, and I'll set up my HTPC using MP1 instead. happy to help debug this with logs etc as I still have MP2 installed.

Statick

Portal Pro
    December 25, 2008
    Home Country
    Done. Debug mode enabled, then restarted MP2, played a video, waited around 20 seconds without sound, paused it, continued it and waited another 20 seconds while the sound caught up with the video, then stopped, exited, and collected logs.

Let me know if you need anything more.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks for the logs.:)

One thing that I noticed is that the file that you attempt to play is a 24 Hz mkv, however, the screen switches to 32 Hz refresh rate, which must cause stutters and snychronicity problems:
    [2017-08-09 15:42:53,449] [79739 ] [Main ] [INFO ] - SkinEngine MainForm: Display changed refresh rate, size remained 1920x1080@32.
    Did you make any adjustments to the Player settings in the Settings section of the client? Is the dynamic refreshrate changer activated, and if yes, do the settings include an entry 24:24 (which should be the case by default)?

The other thing is the sound. You mentioned that analogue plays normally, yet digital over HDMI does not. You could try two things:
    • Replay your video - no sound. With pausing the stream open the context menu (Info on remote, Windows menu key on your keyboard, right-click with your mouse) and verify which audio stream is selected. Change if it is the wrong one.
    • In the Settings section, check that you have selected "prefer mullti-channel audio streams".
    I have no explanation though why the sound is played if you pause and resume the video. Could you please post a copy of your LAV Splitter settings page?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom