LAV Video Decoder not found (1 Viewer)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @Snoopy87
    I don't want to get into an argument, but I feel that your reply deserves an explanation/response.

In short: you have misunderstood how MP works for codec settings.

If the User makes a clean installation and opens the Config and sees that all filters were set correct to LAV Video and LAV Audio there is no need to changed something and so he clicks OK.
    If a user does this the settings will be saved => no bug.
    All that is required for settings to be saved is to open MP Config and view the settings that you want to be saved. My bet is that you didn't view the codec settings until you tried changing to MPAR. That's why I think the problem would be solved if you change back to DirectSound now. ;)

You say that those values then are not saved
    I didn't say that. You've misinterpreted what I said.
    The settings are saved when you view them, even if you don't make changes... but if you haven't viewed them, there will be no settings.

And yes it is frustrating when I say everything is set up correct and then someone says that I didnt!
    I'm sure it is frustrating... but sometimes we can be mistaken, and in this case I think you were/are mistaken. It's okay to be wrong sometimes.

Like I said: from my side I respectfully chose to believe the log files instead of what you said because it was obvious that you didn't understand how MP works for codec settings. From your side, you can choose whether to trust that after 10 years I understand how MP works for codec settings... or not.

Also it then makes no sense that LAV Audio Devoder is used fine, but Video has to reset because by default it is Null but shown as set in Config Dialog which then is a bug and not correct.
    This statement shows that you don't understand how MP works for codec settings!
    When there are no settings:
    1. MP (not MP Config) will use the system default codecs, which are chosen by the DirectShow merit system. In your case MP chose the LAV audio decoder because it had the highest merit on your system for the TV channel audio stream's format. Similarly, MP chose Microsoft DTV-DVD video because it had a higher merit than LAV video decoder.
    2. MP Config (not MP) selects LAV by default if it is installed/available. This saves you time having to go through and select LAV for ~20 (?) settings.
    It all makes sense if you understand how/why it works! ;)

By the way I set madVR directly so the Config dialog was changed at the first time. Then I also set back to EVR.
    Again, this statement shows that you don't understand how MP works for this part!
    Only the settings that you view are saved.
    If you view the video renderer tab then the settings for that tab will be saved... but the codec settings in the other tabs won't be touched.

As I know you need logs that why I created debug logs and added them. So I did what you always asking for.
    Yes, you did attach log files to the first post... but they weren't log files from the Watchdog tool, were they?
    ...and in my second reply I asked for new log files and you completely ignored me!
    So, my view is that you didn't do what I asked.

I did not know that you need Watchdog full log because I dont know what kind of information you are looking for. All other information in full log have nothing to do with this issue.
    Argh, Sascha! After so many years using MP and getting help from us here on the forum you should know (because it's team policy and because I've specifically asked you over and over again in other threads) that we ALWAYS want you to use the Watchdog to collect log files.
    I don't know why you've chosen to ignore the policy and continue to zip only what you think is relevant, but it's really really annoying.
    The Watchdog collects all the information we need to solve problems. Don't you trust us to know what's needed?

I said the filter is working fine and Merit is fine too. I already checked everything before posting to make sure that I didnt miss something.
    Like I said: I prefer to believe the log files. If you'd used the Watchdog as you should have, I would have been able to double-check the merits etc. for myself and make sure you hadn't made a mistake. This is just one reason why we always expect/prefer Watchdog log files.

But yes I can post Watchdog log but you will of course find no new information...
    A little humility would be appreciated!
    I will reserve judgement until I actually see the log files.

...when it is a bug of MediaPortal showing the user that LaV Video Decoder is set fine even though it is not set (GUI bug of those comboboxes?)
    What you consider to be a bug is actually done by design. As I explained above, MP Config selects LAV by default to save you time. It's not a problem unless you go ahead and use MP without checking that the settings are okay first, which is never recommended.

Snoopy87

Portal Pro
    August 12, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    As I said, I will post new logs, so I didn't ignore you, but I still hadn't the time yet.

As I said: LAV Video Decoder HAS the highest Merit, so no it makes no sense if you say that MP Client uses the decoder with the highest Merit by default. Also it is still a bug, if you say, that the user has to VIEW the Codec Settings Tab to apply the values. That makes no sense and is not user friendly.

If you would read my posts carefully you would understand, that there is a bug, because I said:

- I made a CLEAN installation
    - Of course I first open MP Config and CHECKED that any settings are correct
    - So if you say that just viewing the Codec Tab will save those settings, then they were SAVED. The log files I posted in my first post where created after I checked the MP Config settings 1000 times
    - Also I changed Video Renderer from EVR to madVR and vice versa, so there were changes in the Codec Tab
    - I tried EVERYTHING and checked everything for many hours before I asked for help. I said: Clean installation, everything is working perfectly, LAV Codecs are working perfectly. With ANY App around the world. I checked everything with GraphStudio. EVERYTHING IS PERFECT AND FINE. By default LAV Video Decoder has the HIGHEST Merit on System. The Microsoft DTV Decoder has a VERY LOW Merit by default.

But MP Client always used MS Decoder instead of LAV and log file says that MP Client couldn't find LAV Video Decoder which makes no sense. Exactly at this point there is an issue where we have to find out what is going wrong.

THEN: I only changed Audio Renderer from "DirectSound Device" to MPAR and made NO OTHER SETTINGS on my whole system. Suddenly MP Client were able to use LAV Video Decoder. And again: The Codec Tab were already saved 100 times before.

So today I will change Renderer back "DirectSound" to check if LAV Video Decoder is still used or not. If it is not used I will create log files for both cases with Watchdog. If it is working also with DirectSound I will make a clean uninstallation, reinstall MP and will check if LAV Video Decoder is then not working anymore to reproduce the behavior I had on Saturday and then I will make Watchdog logs too.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Only the settings that you view are saved.
    Hmmm. I seems to me that this is not the first time that this issue has caused confusion and I did not find anything specific about it in the Wicki (please tell me to RTFM properly if I missed it:)).
    Would a warning message upon completion of a new install, perhaps in conjunction with the auto forwarding to MP config, that also occurs on occaision be helpfull?
    Just my tupence worth.;)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    - Of course I first open MP Config and CHECKED that any settings are correct
    - So if you say that just viewing the Codec Tab will save those settings, then they were SAVED. The log files I posted in my first post where created after I checked the MP Config settings 1000 times
    The log files that you attached to the first post contradict what you say. I copied and pasted the relevant section in my first reply. Respectfully, I choose to believe the log files. They show that the TV codec settings were unset/null. This means that you had not yet visited MP Config -> codecs and renderer section -> TV codecs tab before collecting those log files.

- Also I changed Video Renderer from EVR to madVR and vice versa, so there were changes in the Codec Tab
    I've tried to explain twice now but obviously you still don't understand... :(

One last time.

Do you understand the difference between a section and a tab?
    upload_2017-7-10_22-26-38.png

Like I said in my previous reply: if you visit the "codecs and renderer" section -> "video renderer" tab, only the settings in that video renderer tab will be saved.
    None of the settings in the other tabs and sections - including the TV codecs tab - will be saved.
    Again and in other words: TV codec settings are not saved when you visit the video renderer tab.

Obviously it's pointless for me to say anything more until you provide Watchdog log files.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @joecrow
    Hello :)
    The wiki/manual doesn't include/explain such things.
    Personally I'd have thought these things would be blindingly obvious common sense.

Do you actually think the wiki needs to explain that settings which are viewed are saved and settings which aren't viewed aren't saved?
    ...or are you just "pulling my leg"?!? :)

Snoopy87

Portal Pro
    August 12, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Ok now I understand what you mean and then everything is clear and the behavior should be changed because noone does understand this strange behavior.

I thought you mean that the settings were saved when I open the section. So yes it could be that I didnt open the TV Codec Tab.

So please change this behavior because it makes no sense that you have to view any section and any tab in MP Config to save default values. So there are two possibilites which make sense:
    1. On first view of Codec Tabs the default codecs were used by MP Client should be displayed and selected
    2. Or: If MediaPortal Config Tool display LAV Filter as default then MP Client should use LAV Filter by default. This would be the best and makes most sense to the users, because 99% of the users using LAV Filter and: what you see is what you get. And if a user wants to use a different filter he can change the filter in MP Config like before.

So if there is no information in Wiki/Manual/Dialog I was right, that I made nothing wrong :-P

I will try to reproduce the issue with clean installation, because I am pretty sure that I also viewed TV Codec Tab, because after I found out that LAV Video Decoder was not used the first thing I looked for was MP Config -> TV Codecs. So maybe I clicked on cancel because I did not make any changes or the TV Codes were only applied after I changed Audio Renderer.

Snoopy87

Portal Pro
    August 12, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Ok it is reproducable.I deleted MP Config xml and LAV Video Decoder is only used after I viewed the TV Codec Tab without making any changes and click on OK.

So everything is working fine now, but as said, this strange behavior should be fixed in future release, cause the current solution makes no sense to the user. Thanks! ;-)

Watchdog logs are not needed anymore because the reason was found and as always said: My system is fine, nothing was wrong configured and I made no mistake :-P So next time it would be nice to read my posts carefully and believe me if I say that it is an issue of MP ;-)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @Snoopy87
    Ok it is reproducable.
    Of course it's reproducible! MP works the way it does by design.

...this strange behavior should be fixed in future release, cause the current solution makes no sense to the user.
    Your opinion is duly noted.
    If it bothers you, how about submitting a patch?

nothing was wrong configured
    Yes it was! You had no codec settings! :rolleyes:

and I made no mistake
    Yes you did! You tried to use TV before configuring codec settings! :rolleyes:

So next time it would be nice to read my posts carefully and believe me if I say that it is an issue of MP ;-)
    :(
    Let me reply in this way...
    1. There's unlikely to be a "next time" because your tone/attitude rubs me the wrong way. I don't like to waste my time repeating explanations over and over again.
    2. I did read your posts carefully. That's why I understood the situation from the start. Unfortunately it seems like you didn't show me the same courtesy because I had to explain what was happening 3 times before you finally listened and understood.
    3. I'll believe you if and when you provide proof (for example, Watchdog log files) that confirms what you say.
    4. The idea that "it is an issue of MP" is your opinion. You're entitled to your opinion... but other people can and do have different opinions.

Snoopy87

Portal Pro
    August 12, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Sorry, but there NO two opinions!

The fact is:
    - user makes clean installation
    - user opens MP Config looks if eveything is fine
    - user sees that LAV Filter are already set and thinks "yeah, great, everything is fine!
    - user closes MP Config (clicks on X), because there was no need to change anything!
    - user opens MP Client and wonders why LAV Filter is not used

So, please explain, WHY this it not an issue of MP? Sorry, but that makes no sense and it is fact that EVERYONE agrees that this is not the user's fault! The user made everything correct and made no mistakes. That's fact.

So please calm down. Everytime I found issues of MP you feel offended and your replies always suggesting that I am too stupid to use MP, but as you can see I was right and there no two opionions, because we are talking about facts. It is fact that there is something wrong.

So it would be make so much more fun if you believe me and helping instead of saying I make something wrong, when I say that I didn't make something wrong. I spent many hours to isolate the issue and to make sure that I really made no mistake, just to help you and all other users to solve this issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom