LCD support (1 Viewer)

A

Anonymous

Schmidti said:
Hi together,
Idea:
Does it make sence to collect all different ideas of information that shall be displayed in a separate file. Some kind of follow up list for the LCD-display-plugin to define the interface between the plugin and MP?
Yes! Absolutely!
If MP/modules want to bring s.th. to LCD, the MP/module developers would need to know what to send at which event.
Some examples:
Module: Music
Event: Music starts
Data: Artist, Title, Track number, Length, ...

Module: Music
Event: Music playing
Data: Current position in track

Module: Core
Event: Menu position changed/Menu was entered
Data: All menu items, selected item number

A

Anonymous

I was thinking about the menu stuff. Would that really be important on the LCD? The only real use I can think of is for MP3 selection so you don't need the TV on, but apart from that I'm not sure on the value. Even if we had some shared memory space with:

Play state (0=stopped,1=paused,2=playeing etc.)
Media type (cd e:, dvd, mp3, avi etc.)
Duration : X seconds
Position : xSeconds
Filename : string; (maybe include addional data here depending on type, e.g. mp3 could have title,artist etc.)

Pretty please :)

A

Anonymous

mat-d-rat said:
I was thinking about the menu stuff. Would that really be important on the LCD? The only real use I can think of is for MP3 selection so you don't need the TV on, but apart from that I'm not sure on the value.
*g* Interesting... Having menus on the LCD is my personal motivation for this plugin. Most of the time I know what I'm watching/listening to and I don't care about the file position, so I don't really need this. 8)
But you're right. The only use of menus are MP3- and radio-selection. Maybe VCR programming via EPG.

mat-d-rat said:
Even if we had some shared memory space with:
Good idea. Shared memory sucks big time (with .net they super-suck), but they are very fast and versatile.
mat-d-rat said:
Play state (0=stopped,1=paused,2=playeing etc.)
Media type (cd e:, dvd, mp3, avi etc.)
Duration : X seconds
Position : xSeconds
Filename : string; (maybe include addional data here depending on type, e.g. mp3 could have title,artist etc.)

Pretty please :)
I doubt that a single shared mem with its fixed structure would suit the needs of every module. Pictures, DVDs, streaming audio, news events, messenger events, EPG, games, Outlook events, Weather status,... have very different needs, so I believe every module needs its own shared mem. On the other side ... that's not my business. I'll take what I get ;-)

A

Anonymous

I agree one shared memory would not be enough. Maybe each module COULD have it's own shared memory space, and definition of data, with the master app having it's own shared memory allowing us to know which shared memory section to read to gather data. That way the main one could have all the options on it and the others the particular data for their needs (sounds like I'm talking crap now!)

lugiber

Portal Pro
August 3, 2004
Sweden
Great to see some activity on the lcd support side again!
Has anyone spoken to frodo on irc yet? Perhaps he doesn't even know that you are willing/have written the plugins already.

/Peter

A

Anonymous

yes, LCD Hype work with my GLCD, but the scripts from LCDHype homepage are flashing on my LCD, dont know why.

lugiber

Portal Pro
August 3, 2004
Sweden
Ok, this has nothing to do with this thread but the flickering are most likley due to lcdhype being set on too high priority and therefore upgrades the lcdscreen faster than it can handle.
You can change the priority setting under "common"--> "common configuration"-->"priority". Set the priority to low. I had these problems when connecting my lcd to a "fast" computer (3 ghz) and lowering the priority solved it.

Hope this helps

/Peter

trosty

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 6, 2004
    Zurich/Switzerland
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    HdWagner said:
    mat-d-rat said:
    I was thinking about the menu stuff. Would that really be important on the LCD? The only real use I can think of is for MP3 selection so you don't need the TV on, but apart from that I'm not sure on the value.
    *g* Interesting... Having menus on the LCD is my personal motivation for this plugin. Most of the time I know what I'm watching/listening to and I don't care about the file position, so I don't really need this. 8)
    But you're right. The only use of menus are MP3- and radio-selection. Maybe VCR programming via EPG.

Infos about what you are watching (station name, broadcast, position) or listening to (artist, title, time (left)) are nice gimmicks for a display, but you are absolutely right: What is really important is the menu-function to select playlists to listen to, turn on the raido or maybe program the VCR via EPG without turning on the tv.

I would also love to have a clock in the display that also shows when the htpc is shut down, but that topic is already beeing discussed and in progress afaik :D .

A

Anonymous

Each to there own you see :) In my case the HTPC is only really used for films & pictures, so whenever I use it the TV is on. However when I'm watching a film, it would be nice to know where I am etc. :) I'm sure that we will sort something out... lets just get something moving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom