List view by default for mp3 files??? (1 Viewer)

patricon

Portal Pro
June 16, 2007
Home Country
Spain Spain
cedric, what do u think about my idea?

regards,

Muppeter

February 26, 2007
Home Country
Norway Norway
Hi guys,

I have also had trouble with this, because the music is neatly placed in folders, but the tags are not good. I have far too much music(or little patience) to fix my tags. Anyhow, my conclusion to this question so far is that it is not possible to get any other view than the view you used on each separate folder the last time. In my opinion another option should be a pre-defined view option for shares view, since a lot of people uses folders for music sorting.

I really hope there is a solution to this one.

idioteque

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    There are only 2 things you can do in MP

1: use shares: per share you can choose your view in the configuration.exe. This setting is for all folders and sub folders. So say you want your music sorted by list, everything is sorted by list, the artist and albums.

2: use the database, every view, and browse mode can be changed, but the music has to be tagged.

Please read the Wiki on this subject below

patricon

Portal Pro
    June 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    May be that my suggestion can be added in next release, it should be very easy to add. As i've posted before, it only needs to check if the folder contains other folder(s), if not, then display it as listview (if that option is checked in configuration.exe) else display it as default view (big icons, filmstrip, etc)

regards,

idioteque

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    May be that my suggestion can be added in next release, it should be very easy to add. As i've posted before, it only needs to check if the folder contains other folder(s), if not, then display it as listview (if that option is checked in configuration.exe) else display it as default view (big icons, filmstrip, etc)

regards,

Simple: if you want full control use the database and tag your music, else, use the simplified view.

There will never be a middle way

patricon

Portal Pro
    June 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    I've all my music tagged, but i don't like the way that MP uses the database, there is an option in MP to use folders as albums, so i want to use it, the only little problem is default view for the folder contents. That option could be very useful... I think that there is A LOT of users using My music like me, and they prefer their own folder hierarchy system...

regards,

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    The option to use Folder as albums is meant for the database only.
    as you said above, you don't use the database, so it won't be used in your case.

i've looked into the code.
    while it might be possible to implement such a method, you suggested it's a bit tricky, the way the code works.
    i'd rather don't do it before 0.2.3.

The problem that i see, is that other people will come with a 3 level folder hierarchy and ask for a similar implementation.

In the long run, you'd better get one of the Free Tag editors, ID3-Tagit or The Godfather, for example.
    Both of them can take a large collection of files and tag them based on information retrieved from folder and file names. Did that about 4 years ago, with over 10k of files and it worked quite fine.

patricon

Portal Pro
    June 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    First all, many thanks for your answer hwahrmann. I'm afraid that you have not understand my idea yet, you've said this: "The problem that i see, is that other people will come with a 3 level folder hierarchy and ask for a similar implementation." if you said that is because you don't understand my idea or may be that i'm not explained it very well, sorry. The system that i'm suggesting works with any hierarchy levels that you have (2, 3 or 54 levels) MP only needs these lines of pseudo code:

list folder content
    there is any folder into actual folder??
    yes -->> then use default view (just like now, big icons, film strip, etc)
    no -->> then use ALTERNATE VIEW (listview in my case)

this system works for EVERY user, it's independant from the hierarchy system that you could have... just two views, one for folders and another one for files. If there is ONLY files (MP3, OGG, WMA, etc) into a folder then use alternate view, else use default view.

I hope that now, you can get my idea... it's very simple and easy to implement into MP code...

In other hand, i've ALL my music collection (around 80Gb) perfectly tagged, but i don't like the way that mediaportal displays them... the genres in music are not how i like to look for it. I prefer to use my folder hierarchy that after some years using it, it's much more easy to me...

regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom