Live-TV no longer working in MediaPortal (only there) (1 Viewer)

aalemann

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 19, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi everybody,

since today, the live TV is unfortunately no longer working.

Looking at the logs, I understand that this seems to be due to a bad signal but I checked with a "conventional" receiver and everything is fine.... Any ideas what I am missing in the logs?

Thanks!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello

Looking at the logs, I understand that this seems to be due to a bad signal...
    To me it looks like the tuner driver is "confused".

Please try to reboot your PC.

...but I checked with a "conventional" receiver and everything is fine.
    PC tuners can be less sensitive than conventional receivers. This is not unusual.
    ...but please try the reboot first. We can investigate further if it still doesn't work.

aalemann

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 19, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks for your answer!

Hello
    To me it looks like the tuner driver is "confused".

Please try to reboot your PC.
    I did that several times by now, including removing the power cable and counting until 10 but no success so far.

PC tuners can be less sensitive than conventional receivers. This is not unusual.
    ...but please try the reboot first. We can investigate further if it still doesn't work.
    Yes, somebody was told me that a while ago; so basically you are saying, it might be a temporary problem and I should just wait for a while?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    ...so basically you are saying, it might be a temporary problem...?
    Yes, this is one possibility... but there are many possibilities.

Have you had bad weather (high winds, snow, heavy rain) in your area recently?
    Can you give a full description of the satellite dish wiring, switches etc.? (I want to understand how you're sharing the signal between the PC tuner and the conventional receiver etc.)

aalemann

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 19, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I tried again a few moments ago and it is still the same problem. I noticed one strange thing: the EPG seems to works...

Concerning your question about the bad weather: there was no bad weather between "still working" and "not working" (although there was some bad weather a few days ago, but everything was fine after that).

Concerning the hardware: I can, unfortunately, not give a description of the dish as this is a "community dish"; we live in a house, where we all (10 apartments/parties) share a dish which was already installed before we moved in. I have no idea about any amplifiers, I only see a cable coming from the roof, where I do not have access to. I thought about trying to get an amplifier, do you think it is worth getting one?

aalemann

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 19, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I realized another strange this: According to MePo, the signal quality does not seem to be too bad after all (see the numbers), but none of the channels is working...?

Attachments

• screenshot_signal_quality.png
      screenshot_signal_quality.png
      578.3 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I noticed one strange thing: the EPG seems to works...
    How do you know it's working?
    I ask this because I can't see any signs of successful DVB EPG grabbing.
    Remember that the EPG that was grabbed before live TV stopped working will still be stored in the TV Server database. However after some days it would run out unless the tuner starts working again...

there was no bad weather between "still working" and "not working"
    Okay.

Concerning the hardware...
    Ahhh, I understand. That could make it difficult to determine what the problem is.

...but to be clear, when you say this:
    ...I only see a cable coming from the roof...

...you normally connect that cable directly to your PC tuner, right?
    So, there are currently no splitters, amplifiers etc. in your part of the house?

I thought about trying to get an amplifier, do you think it is worth getting one?
    I'm not sure. It completely depends on what the problem is. Signal can be too weak... or with an amplifier it can be too strong. So, best to try to find out what's actually the problem first, if possible.

I realized another strange this: According to MePo, the signal quality does not seem to be too bad after all (see the numbers)...
    I don't see an signal strength/quality numbers in your screenshot.
    Which numbers are you looking at?

If you're looking at the 57%, 28%, 58%, 59% etc., you have misunderstood the meaning. Those percentages are not related to signal. They tell you how much of the current program is completed. For example, if a program starts at 7 PM, finishes at 8 PM, and the current time is 7:30 PM, the percentage will be 50% (because half of the program is already shown).

aalemann

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 19, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    How do you know it's working?
    I ask this because I can't see any signs of successful DVB EPG grabbing.
    Remember that the EPG that was grabbed before live TV stopped working will still be stored in the TV Server database. However after some days it would run out unless the tuner starts working again...
    you are, of course, right, I thought I read that in the logs but having a second look into them, it seems I misread something...

...you normally connect that cable directly to your PC tuner, right?
    So, there are currently no splitters, amplifiers etc. in your part of the house?
    ok, I was not completely precise here: the cable, coming from the roof, goes into a socket and into that socket I plug my cable which goes directly to the PC. I had a look at the cable-from-the-roof--socket connection and this does not look too professional...

I'm not sure. It completely depends on what the problem is. Signal can be too weak... or with an amplifier it can be too strong. So, best to try to find out what's actually the problem first, if possible.
    signals can be too strong, seriously? I had no idea...

I don't see an signal strength/quality numbers in your screenshot.
    Which numbers are you looking at?

If you're looking at the 57%, 28%, 58%, 59% etc., you have misunderstood the meaning. Those percentages are not related to signal. They tell you how much of the current program is completed. For example, if a program starts at 7 PM, finishes at 8 PM, and the current time is 7:30 PM, the percentage will be 50% (because half of the program is already shown).
    ahem.... sorry for that misunderstanding....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom