Live TV subtitles? (1 Viewer)

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I've installed the latest Update 1 and I can't seem to find any CC option nor a subtitle option in any of the settings.
    That's something in the skin player controls, see for example BlueVision/Win10: Note the CC - and the active subtitles.

CC.JPG

Eaglehawk

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I switched to that theme and config, still no CC option. I'm pretty sure I would need to do something in SetupTV to enable the closed caption surely? I can find the guides for this for MP1, but nothing for MP2 :(

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I think there is a misunderstanding in the used terms:
    • The screenshots above are showing DVB subtitles that are rendered on video. The stream selection is done by TsReader, therefore the "CC" button is enabled (which would be better a "[...]" or bubble for indicating subtitles)
    • If I remember correclty, Closed Captions (CC) are handled separately inside MP1. If this is the case, the needed code is not yet available in MP2.
    I will check the related code parts.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    What is the difference between subtitles and Closed Captions? I can switch the subtitles on and off with the CC button- isn't this what Closed Caption is supposed to do?

Vasilich

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2009
    Germany, Mayence
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    CC is an american form of subtitles :) used in ATSC.
    DVB standard uses DBV subtitles (as on screenshot above) - Bitmaps transferred in separate substream, and Teletext Subtitles - text transferred in separate substream. Both of these snandards were part of TVE3 several years, and only CC support came lately (around MP 1.10 or 1.11)

As @Eaglehawk is from Australia, where DVB standard is in use, he needs to enable DVB and Teletext subtitles, not CC ones.

Last edited:

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Teletext subtitles
    Hmm, this could be the cause. IIRC only the bitmap based subs are handled. I have to check about the teletext ones. Does anybody have a short example recording for testing this?

A mediainfo output of such a file would also be helpful.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I can now confirm that teletext subtitles are not yet included in MP2. This code part is still a PITA and needs to be adopted to MP2's player architecture (but I'm doing it right now).

Are teletext subtitles still so commonly used? I'd have thought that this is no longer the case.

Vasilich

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2009
    Germany, Mayence
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    actually almost all of german private channels (RTL group and Pro7Sat1) send teletext subtitles, and ÖR mostly send both. So, for those watching private channels, i would say the teletext subtitles still in use.

Here is my old sample containing 3 audio tracks (MP2 german, MP2 unknown, and AC3 german), 1 DVB subtitle track, and 1 teletext subtitles track ftp://vasili.ch/video/2013-12-18%2022_45%20-%20Anne%20Will.ts

Last edited:

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Are you sure that this are really subtitles and not the "Videotext"? Because this is what VLC is showing when I enable text subtitles.

upload_2015-9-15_17-46-50.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom