LiveTV audio volume on each channel different? (1 Viewer)

andy_328

Portal Pro
November 19, 2014
Home Country
Austria Austria
Hello,

I am using MP 1.9.6 on Win7 Ult 64 bit. Some channels are very loud while others are too quiet. Like this I must change the volume the whole time long. I know that it is Digital Audio Issue, that some movies are using AC3 only. I am using a Flat TV on the Wall, without additional audio system. Is there any way to avoid this matter?
At night time, some movies are even not possible to watch, because the background noise is to loud, but it must be otherwise I can hear any voices.
I am using the GTX 8400 with HDMI direct to the TV

thanks

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Some channels are very loud while others are too quiet. Like this I must change the volume the whole time long. I know that it is Digital Audio Issue, that some movies are using AC3 only. I am using a Flat TV on the Wall, without additional audio system. Is there any way to avoid this matter?
    I had a similar problem, which I described here:

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...splay-calibration.119610/page-19#post-1107619

Maybe the same solution will work for you?

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

andy_328

Portal Pro
    November 19, 2014
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Thanks, I will try it as soon as I know on which I have to do it.

Under MediaPortal config -> Codecs and Renderer. Do I have to use these settings on MPEG /AC3 audio, and on AAC audio? Is that right, or somewhere else?

thanks

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Under MediaPortal config -> Codecs and Renderer. Do I have to use these settings on MPEG /AC3 audio, and on AAC audio? Is that right, or somewhere else?
    I am not an expert, so I hope that the following is correct:

(1) Start "MP Config"; in the left side bar click "Codecs and Renderer".

(2) For "MPEG/AC3 audio" on the "Video Codecs" tab:
    (a) Select "LAV Audio Decoder" from the drop-down list.
    (b) Click the "Tools" button on the right (the icon with the spanners).
    (c) On the "Mixing" tab, select "Enable Mixing", and ensure that the "Output Speaker Configuration" is set to "Stereo". Set the mixing levels to 0.71 for the first two levels, and 0.0 for the third one. Click "OK" to return to the previous panel.

(3) Repeat step (2) for "AAC audio" on the "Video Codecs" tab".

(4) Repeat step (2) for "LPCM/AC3/DTS" on the "Blu-ray Codecs" tab.

(5) Repeat step (2) for "MPEG/AC3 audio" on the "TV Codecs" tab.

(6) Repeat step (2) for "LATM AAC audio" on the "TV Codecs" tab.

(7) Repeat step (2) for "DVD audio" on the "DVD Discs/Images Codecs" tab.

This seems likes a complicated process, but actually you are simply setting the same options for all of the codec tabs that have audio settings.

andy_328

Portal Pro
    November 19, 2014
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Done everthing, and it really works better, thanks :). As for now I only can hear any difference about HD channels, and a normal one. Is it the same fo you too?
    Or does each channel have the same volume?

thanks

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Done everthing, and it really works better, thanks :). As for now I only can hear any difference about HD channels, and a normal one. Is it the same for you too? Or does each channel have the same volume?
    In the UK, only a small number of HD programmes are broadcast with multi-channel sound; most HD programmes have normal stereo sound. I did notice a difference in sound level before making the changes that I described previously. But after making those changes, the sound levels are similar between:

-- HD programmes with multi-channel sound (LATM AAC audio)
    -- HD programmes with stereo sound (MPEG/AC3 audio)
    -- SD programmes with stereo sound (MPEG/AC3 audio)

I would not claim that the sound levels are identical, but they are not greatly different. Are you sure that you made all of the changes that I listed previously? On the "TV Codecs" tab, you need to change the settings for both "MPEG/AC3" audio, and "LATM AAC" audio.

It is possible that the channels that you receive in Austria are using some other type of audio encoding. Are there any other audio encodings listed on the "TV Codecs" tab (i.e. audio encodings other than "MPEG/AC3" and "LATM AAC")?

andy_328

Portal Pro
    November 19, 2014
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Hi,
    yes I have LAV Codec as default for everthing. On the Tv Codecs I can choose also Microsoft or a Monogramm AAC. Well but as you sayed bevore, the sounds leven aren't identical, but much better as bevore, and even on some videos. I would say I better keep it as it is for now, coz it works much better

thanks

andy_328

Portal Pro
    November 19, 2014
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Hello again,

I was just watching some movies in.mkv, and the audio stream is DTS AC3. I made these settings above, but movies at this format are almost impossible to watch at night time. The Background is to loud while the voices are too quiet. I have been looking trough any settings on TV, and tried a lot of stuff, but no way at all.

Unfortunattly all of these movies are with this audio stream. I am using the TV speaker only, without any Dolby Digital System. Is there another way to fix it, or any plugin that would solve it?

thanks

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I was just watching some movies in.mkv, and the audio stream is DTS AC3. I made these settings above, but movies at this format are almost impossible to watch at night time. The Background is to loud while the voices are too quiet. I have been looking trough any settings on TV, and tried a lot of stuff, but no way at all.
    I watch only recorded TV and DVDs. Before I made the changes described previously, both of those sources had the audio level problem for some programmes, but the changes fixed this.

I don't watch MKV files, so I don't know what settings would affect the audio for those files. Perhaps someone else knows the solution? Sorry I can't offer more help.

andy_328

Portal Pro
    November 19, 2014
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Never mind CyberSimian, these file are of Blueray and DVD, as I got from a friend a ex-hdd full of such movies. Your previously description help for the TV issues too, and now alomost all channels expect HD are working fine. Thanks

Yes, maybe someone else can have a look on it, and need how to fix it.

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom