[will not fix] LiveTV Time Bar persists for Recorded-TV in RC4 (1 Viewer)

catavolt

Design Group Manager
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 13, 2007
    Königstein (Taunus)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: LiveTV Time Bar persists for Recorded-TV in RC4

Mark, you´re absolutely right. We had the respective discussion after the changes from gibman. My point of view was always to use the Video OSD for recordings, and you might remember that this change had some other side effects like no display of media info icons (audio codec, video codec etc.) and that the stop button does not work using a mouse (if a skin shows controls like pause, play, stop etc. to support touchscreen users).
    As a workaround you could start your TV recordings from within My Videos using shares view. There all works fine as expected.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Re: AW: LiveTV Time Bar persists for Recorded-TV in RC4

Mark, you´re absolutely right. We had the respective discussion after the changes from gibman. My point of view was always to use the Video OSD for recordings, and you might remember that this change had some other side effects like no display of media info icons (audio codec, video codec etc.) and that the stop button does not work using a mouse (if a skin shows controls like pause, play, stop etc. to support touchscreen users).
    As a workaround you could start your TV recordings from within My Videos using shares view. There all works fine as expected.

I was sure there was a good reason.

I think are going to have to flag this one as 'will not fix'.

Sorry, but fixing this will cause worse problems than not.

Mark

Andrew H

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Alabama
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Ouch! While I respect your concern that modifying this may effect other interfaces, and I could use MyVideos to view the files, using the RecordedTV function allows the database to provide a folder heirachy grouping the same show under a dedicated icon regardless of which HDD/tuner it was recorded on. For LiveTV the TV-OSD displays the scheduled Start Time and End Time along with a progress bar depicting how many minutes are in the current recording buffer - this changes to Current Time and Total Time when the file is not the LiveTV Buffer but a RecordedTV file. Is it not as simple as detecting the source of the file (whether LiveTV buffer or a completed recording) and selecting which OSD format to use? What do touchscreen/mouse users do in MyVideo? How can TV-OSD vs Video-OSD be the answer?

I hate to see the 'will not fix' as there is no need for a total time - time of day is irrelevent when watching a recorded file and doing a work-around is just that.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    Ouch! While I respect your concern that modifying this may effect other interfaces, and I could use MyVideos to view the files, using the RecordedTV function allows the database to provide a folder heirachy grouping the same show under a dedicated icon regardless of which HDD/tuner it was recorded on. For LiveTV the TV-OSD displays the scheduled Start Time and End Time along with a progress bar depicting how many minutes are in the current recording buffer - this changes to Current Time and Total Time when the file is not the LiveTV Buffer but a RecordedTV file. Is it not as simple as detecting the source of the file (whether LiveTV buffer or a completed recording) and selecting which OSD format to use? What do touchscreen/mouse users do in MyVideo? How can TV-OSD vs Video-OSD be the answer?

I hate to see the 'will not fix' as there is no need for a total time - time of day is irrelevent when watching a recorded file and doing a work-around is just that.

Then we would need a dedicated 'Recorded TV OSD'.

We have very limited resources and too many jobs. Anyone is welcome to provide fixes!

Best wishes,

Mark

wonkyd

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2007
    Home Country

Then we would need a dedicated 'Recorded TV OSD'.

We have very limited resources and too many jobs. Anyone is welcome to provide fixes!

Best wishes,

Mark

Would it not be worth putting it into Mantis so it doesn't get lost?

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    I am trying to push for a discussion of this issue within the team.

However, nothing will change for 1.1.0.

If there is a need for a 1.1.1 to fix any problems in 1.1.0 (I am not saying there will be) then something could conceivably get done on that timeframe. Alternatively we could be looking at 1.2.0, but only if the team decide that this needs to be fixed.

Mark

wonkyd

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2007
    Home Country

If there is a need for a 1.1.1 to fix any problems in 1.1.0 (I am not saying there will be) then something could conceivably get done on that timeframe. Alternatively we could be looking at 1.2.0, but only if the team decide that this needs to be fixed.

Mark

That's fair enough, i'm just thinking from a community perspective. If someone was to look down the bug list in mantis to choose something to work on they may see it as being worthwhile. Cheers

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country

Mark

That's fair enough, i'm just thinking from a community perspective. If someone was to look down the bug list in mantis to choose something to work on they may see it as being worthwhile. Cheers

Before putting this into mantis, we need to agree that there is a bug rather than simply things working in a different way to how some users expect. We also need to determine that changing the behaviour won't cause far worse side-effects. There isn't much sense putting it into mantis to encourage work on this only to reject a patch because of problems we could have anticipated.

Let's leave this one for now, and I will report back once a decision is reached.

Of course in the meantime, if anyone does decide to work on this, they can submit a patch and it will be evaluated in the standard way.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom