[solved] logitech harmony touch general hid (1 Viewer)

hansmuff25

Portal Member
February 23, 2009
Hi,

i have a problem getting my logitech harmony touch fully work with mediaportal.

up; down; left; right; select; channel up; channel down; volume up; volume down; numeric digits buttons are working, others not

i have no Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver listed under Human Interface Devices in device manager

therefore i tried using general hid in mediaportal and eventghost but i can't get eventghost to recognize or map the not working buttons to mediaportal

does anyone know how i can get this working? with eventghost or just re-mapping in logitech harmony software?

any help would be much appreciated

thanks,

ckuever

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I have a problem getting my logitech harmony touch fully work with MediaPortal.
    I recently purchased a Harmony 650 to add to my collection of remote controls, and the 650 works correctly with "General HID" in MP 1.12-final. I would expect your Harmony Touch to behave in a similar fashion.

i have no Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver listed under Human Interface Devices in device manager
    This is an important observation. There are basically two types of remote control that can be used with WMC and MP:

(1) Those that use RC6 signalling, and pass through the "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver".

(2) Those that transmit keyboard shortcuts for WMC, and pass through the keyboard handler.

Your Harmony Touch can be set up to use either system. Since you do not see the "eHome Infrared Transceiver" device in "Device Manager", it looks as though your Harmony has been set up for (2).

There are two possible solutions:

(1) Purchase an IR receiver that appears as an "eHome Infrared Transceiver". This site shows some alternatives:

http://www.cohaus-berlin.de/shop/RC6-Infrared-Receiver:::2.html

(2) Download the attached remote-control config file, and see if the remote works better than at present. Place the file in the following folder (or the one with "...(x86)..." in the name):

C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\InputDeviceMappings\

In "MP Config" you will need to:

(a) disable General HID
    (b) disable Microsoft MCE (if present)
    (c) enable "Centarea HID" on the "Sceneo" tab.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Attachments

• Centarea HID.zip
      1.3 KB

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

i have a problem getting my logitech harmony touch fully work with mediaportal.

up; down; left; right; select; channel up; channel down; volume up; volume down; numeric digits buttons are working, others not

therefore i tried using general hid in mediaportal and eventghost but i can't get eventghost to recognize or map the not working buttons to mediaportal

does anyone know how i can get this working? with eventghost or just re-mapping in logitech harmony software?

any help would be much appreciated

thanks,

ckuever
    What's your receiver? Photos, link to product page or reference would help.
    The Universal Remote Control you are using, in your case Harmony, matters little.

Skywizard

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2015
    Canberra
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I had a problem with my RC6 remote control using an Antec Fusion HTTP case with inbuilt IR receiver (and iMon display) that worked perfectly well with Windows MC.
    I had out of the box success when I connected a RC6 Infrared Receiver, Model OVU4003, and all worked fine straight away. I am now using the IR receiver that came with my hauppauge 2215.

My ideal solution would be to use the inbuilt IR receiver in the case but I could not get it to work with MP 1.12.

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I had a problem with my RC6 remote control using an Antec Fusion HTTP case with inbuilt IR receiver (and iMon display) that worked perfectly well with Windows MC.
    I had out of the box success when I connected a RC6 Infrared Receiver, Model OVU4003, and all worked fine straight away. I am now using the IR receiver that came with my hauppauge 2215.

My ideal solution would be to use the inbuilt IR receiver in the case but I could not get it to work with MP 1.12.
    If it's an iMON IR you need to use the 'Media' Input Handler while using it in MCE remote emulation mode.

That's nothing new to MP 1.13 though.

Skywizard

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2015
    Canberra
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    If it's an iMON IR you need to use the 'Media' Input Handler while using it in MCE remote emulation mode.

That's nothing new to MP 1.13 though.
    I am not familiar with the media input handler I guess I would find it under MP config/Remotes and input devices? I am currently using "HID". I don't see the MCE remote emulation though.

I guess I also need to load the iMon drivers or is that just for the iMon display?

I am guessing I would have tried that in my experimentation. I will go back and revisit to see if I can get it to work.

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I am not familiar with the media input handler I guess I would find it under MP config/Remotes and input devices? I am currently using "HID". I don't see the MCE remote emulation though.

I guess I also need to load the iMon drivers or is that just for the iMon display?

I am guessing I would have tried that in my experimentation. I will go back and revisit to see if I can get it to work.
    MCE emulation/mode is indeed an option in iMon mamager. 'Media' input handler can be found in configuration like you mentioned.

Still the all iMon experience is not that great. You will have better result sticking to HID and any MCE compatible IR receiver.

Skywizard

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2015
    Canberra
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks - I am sure I would have tried all that.

I am thinking that I might as well stay with the working setup I now have as I do already have a pretty good experience.

hansmuff25

Portal Member
    February 23, 2009
    Hi CyberSimian,

thank you so much for the cetarea xml

That works well and solves 90% of my problems.

Only the stop and pause button aren't working.

Maybe someone has an idea how to remap stop and pause?

And going to hibernate via poweroff isn't working well

thanks in advance.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Only the stop and pause button aren't working.
    I just tested my Ortek/Hama remote, and the STOP and PAUSE buttons work correctly with the "Centarea HID.xml" file. But I am using the matching Ortek/Hama IR receiver.

What IR receiver are you using? If you can, please post a photograph of the IR receiver and specify the name of the manufacturer and the model number. It may be possible to use the "Mappings" dialogue on the "Sceneo" tab in the "Remotes" section of "MP Config" to change the mappings of those two buttons to whatever your IR receiver is expecting (but note that there is no guarantee that this will be possible).

And going to hibernate via poweroff isn't working well
    The "Centarea HID.xml" file defines the POWER button as "Shutdown Windows", which I think is not the best choice. The choices are:

Exit MediaPortal
    Hibernate Windows
    Shutdown Windows
    Reboot Windows
    Standby Windows (i.e. "Sleep")

You need to decide what you want the POWER button to do:

(1) Most people use "Sleep", and enable "Away Mode" in the power plan (or allow "PowerScheduler" to do this). This gives the best usability, but perhaps not the lowest power consumption when the HTPC is not in use.

(2) I use "Hibernate", but in order to obtain good usability I have to use additional software and additional hardware:

(a) The problem with defining the power button to be "Hibernate" is that it causes the HTPC to hibernate immediately:eek:, even if it is in the middle of performing a recording (so the recording is terminated prematurely). I use additional software to stop this happening.

(b) The other problem with "Hibernate" is that most HTPCs cannot be woken via the remote control. A very small number of motherboards have support that allows the remote to wake the HTPC, but most do not. There is also the "Simerec" device, which is a small circuit board that you have to connect to the power wire inside the HTPC (see: http://www.simerec.com/). This is impossible to do with my HTPC, so I use a third method: I wake the HTPC by powering on a device connected to the HTPC's network socket.

To change the action of the POWER button, use the "Mappings" dialogue accessed from the "Sceneo" tab in the "Remotes" section of "MP Config".

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom