Loss of gentle.cfg during standard uninstall/reinstall (1 Viewer)

tony72

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 15, 2009
    Home Country
    England England
    MediaPortal Version: 1.4.0

Description
    While troubleshooting other isues with 1.4, I did a standard uninstall of MediaPortal, then reinstalled it clean. After setting options in the MediaPortal configuration utility and clicking "Ok", I get the message
    "Unable to open gentle.config
    Could not find the file 'C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\gentle.config'."
    My guess would be that a standard uninstall removes "gentle.config", but that maybe "gentle.config" only gets created when installing the tv server, and since a standard uninstall doesn't uninstall the tv server, a subsequent reinstall does not reinstall it...but that's just a guess.
    Please do not mark this as "no bug". What I did seems perfectly reasonable, and shouldn't result in en error, or having to search the forums to figure out how to manually recreate the file.

Steps to Reproduce:
    Install MediaPortal in single seat configuration, configure it as normal
    Perform a standard uninstall of MePo using the MediaPortal uninstaller
    Reinstall MediaPortal
    Open the MediaPortal Configuration utility
    Click Ok

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello tony72

Thanks for the report. :)

The only way that I can imagine this happening is if you were to try using MP configuration before the DB connection has been setup.

Can you confirm: did you ever see the DB connection setup dialog?

Normally TV Server configuration is meant to run at the end of install. This should prompt you for the DB connection details. Once you enter valid details, the gentle.config file is created. If you were to cancel and try to open MP configuration... I'm thinking that would be the only way to produce the error that you saw.

mm

tony72

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 15, 2009
    Home Country
    England England
    Thanks for the reply mm. No, I did not see the DB connection setup, and I didn't cancel anything. As I mentioned though, before installing I had done just a standard uninstall, which doesn't uninstall the TV server or db, so I guess that's expected?

In any case, I've repeated the same uninstall/reinstall procedure a couple of times, and I can't replicate what I reported initially, "gentle.config" does not get removed during the uninstall. I don't know why it went missing the first time around, I didn't do anything different. I guess if I can't replicate the issue myself, then it is a no bug after all, and I'll just have to put it down as one of those strange things.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks for reporting back. (y)

Thanks for the reply mm. No, I did not see the DB connection setup, and I didn't cancel anything. As I mentioned though, before installing I had done just a standard uninstall, which doesn't uninstall the TV server or db, so I guess that's expected?
    Well, I think TV Server should have been uninstalled. I don't recall there being an option in the deploy tool to uninstall only MP or only TV Server.
    Default behaviour when you uninstall is to leave the TV Server DB installed, however if you reinstall you should still be prompted for DB connection details.

In any case, I've repeated the same uninstall/reinstall procedure a couple of times, and I can't replicate what I reported initially, "gentle.config" does not get removed during the uninstall. I don't know why it went missing the first time around, I didn't do anything different. I guess if I can't replicate the issue myself, then it is a no bug after all, and I'll just have to put it down as one of those strange things.
    Hmmm, okay. Thanks for trying. I'll mark the thread as "not reproducible".

mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom