madVR Settings thread (2 Viewers)

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    very interesting thread for me, i need to replace my card, but was 1050 ti as choice.

I have always used AMD video cards but did try an Nvidia 1050ti a while back, generally a nice card but I always had problems getting it to play 3D. Driver updates would invariably kill 3D playback which was iffy at the best of times. I gave up on it, sold it and replaced it with the then similarly priced AMD RX 570. No problems with 3D on the RX 570 which has the added advantage of a zero fan speed option if the card is not running hot and it copes well with some of the heavier Madvr settings.
    BTW as I understand it Nvidia have recently officially dropped 3D support on their current gpu drivers.

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    BTW as I understand it Nvidia have recently officially dropped 3D support on their current gpu drivers.
    i always read than nvidia was better for madvr, but maybe it's wrong.
    i like the video section on amd, for me amd was always better on video rendering, but maybe now nvidia have same quality.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    yes, nvidia dropped 3d support silently... current drivers don't offer the 3d option any more.
    For me this was only something I noticed in passing but I can't help wondering if Nvidia are not breaking the HDMI 1.4+ spec by this. Setting up 3D with Nvidia always seemed very messy and unreliable, but was this just to support their own 3D product, although for me frame packed Bluray 3D would not play without successfully performing the setup. With AMD there is no setup for 3D and frame packed BD just works, given the spec. of 1.4+ I don't understand why the same is not true for Nvidia.:confused:

LoDeNo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 19, 2009
    Home Country
    France France
    You may also want to try D3D11 in LAV, for my AMD gpu it gives a better performance than copy-back although sadly Madvr does not fully support it (it breaks when switching tv channels) but seems to work well with vids.

I did some addtionnal tests with various LAV settings (all tests with 4K HDR films on 4K TV):
    - DXVA Write back : smooth, works well, good image quality
    - D3D11 : smooth, good image quality, sound problem, some crash with DVD's
    - Nvidia CUVID : smooth, works well, image quality not as good as other settings

I choosed on the DXVA Write back setting.
    I try to change MadVR settiings, but for the moment i did not see any différences (performance/quality).

Last edited:

Crix1990

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 9, 2011
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I hope that someone can help me with my madVR settings.
    I've latest MePo1 with latest LAV and madVR with an AMD RX 460 via HDMI 2.0 to an HDR 4K TV. Basically HDR 4K content works fine (with and without madVR), but I want to get the best benefits from HDR and, unfortunately, I have some issues with BT.2020 content linke Star Trek Beyond (I have huge artifacts within dark areas (bright areas are perfect clean)).

I tried some options and how-tos (all says different things), but I just end up with the same result like without madVR, or same + shuttering^^

Any recommendations for the best settings?

tonewheelkev

Portal Pro
    February 10, 2012
    Leeds
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Madvr icon appears in tray....I can select settings.....these appear as normal on screen....THEN DISAPPEAR??
    Is anyone experiencing this?....

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Madvr icon appears in tray....I can select settings.....these appear as normal on screen....THEN DISAPPEAR??
    Is anyone experiencing this?....
    No problems here both if the icon appears automatically when playing a vid or manually after clicking on the shortcut, Madvr 0.92.17, win 10 pro x64 (2004)
    My icon settings are shown below, just in case maybe.
    mad.jpg

ThoW1982

Portal Member
    November 6, 2010
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi

I managed to get Geforce 3070 which replaced my Radeon 580.

I have it connected to Samsung Q70R. With Radeon 580 I haven't had any issues with madvr in SDR or HDR (all perfect in my opinion).

It looks like HDR with Geforce 3070 is hard to do due to driver issues. I get the following issues:

1) Switch on Mediaportal 1.27
    2) Play SDR content - all good
    3) Play HDR content - all good; HDR switches on on the Q70R
    4) Play SDR content - all colors disturbed

example.jpg

5) Play HDR content - all good

If I restart Mediaportal - SDR is OK until I play HDR, then it starts again. Basically once I play HDR I need to restart Mediaportal to play SDR content.
    I can't imagine myself not using Mediaportal (been using more than 10 years), so if I can't solve this I will return Geforce 3070 and put back Radeon 580 (I like Mediaportal that much).

My settings:

LAV-video-2.jpg

Same SDR playback issues after HDR also happen on DXVA2 (copy back) and DXVA2 Native.

Madvr settings:

madvr-1.jpg

madvr-2.jpg

madvr-3.jpg

madvr-4.jpg

madvr-5.jpg

madvr-6.jpg

madvr-7.jpg

how many video frames are presented in advance = "1" sorts out micro stutter on Geforce RTX GPUs according to some posts on Doom9's Forum - Powered by vBulletin. Generally people say that they manage to get the HDR playback sorted with MPC in full-screen fine in Geforce RTX GPUs but Mediaportal is different...

Can anyone help me pls? I'm guessing here but it seems like madvr is not properly disabled after playing HDR in Mediaportal on Nvidia card? Or maybe some madvr settings need adjusting? I have spent close to 12 hours on this but can't solve this issue :(

Attachments

• example.jpg
      example.jpg
      1.9 MB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom