madVR Settings thread (6 Viewers)

ThePlayerPPC

Portal Pro
November 10, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
Ok here are some screens. What i don't understand why the output states that it uses d3d11 when lav is set to dxva copyback. I checked lav settings while playing the files.

Attachments

• 4k.jpg
    4k.jpg
    819.7 KB
  • 1080p a.jpg
    1080p a.jpg
    931.5 KB
  • 1080p b.jpg
    1080p b.jpg
    805.9 KB

CuraeL

July 14, 2019
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
You are using NGU for upscaling set on high. It's way too hard on your gfx card. You need to use spline or lanczoz. Don't worry about the d3d11, that's not the same setting as DXVA copy back. This you see is the presentation for the renderer and not part of LAV

I recommend you read up on the upscaling algorithms. NGU is the hardest one to run and will require a dedicated and strong GPU. :)

Your rendering time at the bottom is the total it has taken the renderer to create the frame. For a 23fps movie you need to be below 39ms at all times or you will drop frames. You must adjust your settings in the madVR Control Center.

ThePlayerPPC

Portal Pro
November 10, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
Ok i will try this. So i gues cubic s the less demanding and NGU the most. So i could try jinc or the others and see when the time goes over 39ms.
39ms for average or max stats?
And what about videos with 60 fps and more? I gues 20ms or less are the limit then?

Last edited:

steven123

Portal Member
January 1, 2014
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Just thought that I would share what I have discovered in madVR settings with my NVidia graphics card.

First of all, I'm using LAV + madVR + MPAR. I have a 1660s graphics card.

The two main issue I found with madVR was;
1. Jumping image with 23p and 24p video.
2. Stuttering with UI like the TV guide.

The first was fixed by changing the default rendering settings in madVR. In the 'windowed mode' settings, the default setting has the 'present several frames in advance' ticked. Unticking this option removes the jumpy images. (both windowed overlay and exclusive mode are unticked, but I think these don't work with Windows 11)

The stuttering UI is to do with the dithering settings. The default is ordered dithering. Changing this to error diffusion fixes the stuttering UI. However...... Using error diffusion does increase the GPU significantly. I was running with NGU sharp for the chroma and image upscaling. If I combined this with ordered dithering, the GPU load was about 70% and you can hear the fan running which is annoying. I have to use Lanczos with anti-ringing filter to lower the GPU load when using ordered dithering. This stops the fan running on the GPU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom