Main Menu Program Launch (1 Viewer)

mred589

Portal Member
January 23, 2005
Is there any way to launch programs from the main menu instead of going through numerous menus to access one program? This would really be usefull to me, but if its not possible I understand. If it isn't possible, what is the most streamlined way to launch programs from the interface? As far as I can tell, it takes quite a few menu clicks to launch a program.

Thanks in advance for any help

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    I think you can by making a shortcut via the config for the home plugin.
    I haven't really played with this much but you can configure what options and what order and groupings you want.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    hi Mred589

Easiest way to directly access any program at moment is MCE keyboard
    and remote control combination (keyboard has shortcuts builtin. You can manually program other remotes but check out the documentation at
    https://www.team-mediaportal.com/dokuw/start Sorry everyone if ive gone microsoft hardware happy but love keyboard to bits, Dont tell TGF or she'll think im two timing her.

Ray 8)

mred589

Portal Member
    January 23, 2005
    I think that the keyboard is a great idea and worth looking into, but I was trying to make my interface look more refined by adding the options I needed on the screen menus. I really need this to be user friendly (IE idot proof), meaning that there can't be any obscure symbols to look up on the keyboard, just menu items to select.

I'll play around with the home plugin and see if I can get it to do what I want, thanks for all your help.

mred589

Portal Member
    January 23, 2005
    Ok, I'm really close to making this work. I just need to figure out how to make a function script that will run a program. I tried a line something like this
    Code:
    MP_Action(run "C:\path\to\program\program.exe")
    in a script, but it didn't appear to work at all. What command do I need to put in to run an outside program and what is the syntax?

BoelShit

Portal Pro
    November 6, 2005
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Why don't you try the my programs plugin found in the configuration?
    It can do the things you want...

mred589

Portal Member
    January 23, 2005
    I've looked at it before and I don't see how. The closest I can get in my Programs launching is to create a filelauncher child, then add the exe as a file within the filelauncher. I would hope that this isn't how launching programs is supposed to work, because it takes a lot of unnessesary clicking to be able to launch one simple program. If you know how to make this work it would be great if you could give me a direction to turn, because I'm running out of settings to try.

Once again thank you for your reply

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    mred589 said:
    Ok, I'm really close to making this work. I just need to figure out how to make a function script that will run a program. I tried a line something like this
    Code:
    MP_Action(run "C:\path\to\program\program.exe")
    in a script, but it didn't appear to work at all. What command do I need to put in to run an outside program and what is the syntax?

Since you said the above regarding using a script, have you checked into the myscript2 plugin? Search for that keyword and then I were you, I'd ask for help from Clodo who developed that plugin.

Happy trails!

Mike

mred589

Portal Member
    January 23, 2005
    I wish I knew how to code in C, and while this may be a good excuse to learn, I just don't have the time it would take right now, I still find it hard to believe that there isn't a simple way to do this. Its a fairly fundamental part of most media front ends. I don't mean to dis the developers, I think they've done a great job and have a very good system built, but it just seems like such a rudamentary part of all front ends and I'm amazed that media portal doesn't have a way to do it.

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    OK - I was reading too much into your post. Then I suggest reading a little more about myprograms. I found this thread which may help you out with your problem. Otherwise I suggest looking at the documentation on myprograms.

Then if yo have problems after that I would suggest placing myprograms in the subject line/topic to get people that have worked with it to better know what the problem is.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom