[Finished] Make EPG entry point for watching and recording TV (1 Viewer)

What is the expected behavior for selected programs in EPG? (1) for running, (2) for future programs

• (1) & (2): Always a dialogue with choices to watch or record, ... appears

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • (1) -> program shown directly, info button shows dialogue, (2) -> context dialogue.

Votes: 12 85.7%

• Total voters

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    And as I am also one long-years-MP2-in-production user, I think I have the right to have an own opinion myself.
    Of course you have a right for your own opinion. Don't misunderstand me here :) And it's good, that you share it.

But obviously there are different opinions of users.
    Yes, for sure. But I'm very sure, that most users see it differently than you, so I started the poll (Guessing, that the 1 vote for (1) is you and Lehmden will follow, all others voted for (2) so far). Since I entered the MP2 team, I see the biggest problem amoung users with usability and navigation. Many things work different than users expect. I think for many points we did already big steps, especially with last 2 versions. But for certain points there is still potential (my opinion).

Use MiniGuide (OK)
    That's also the point, that was discussed deeply in forum. Most people are overloaded by the amount of EPG screens and prefer only one.
    If I want to change the channel I never press "ok". I press the EPG button and do everything in the FullEPG. It's much easier to get used to one EPG, than having many similar looking screens (less is sometimes more, same for the different footer infos). I'm always thinking "In which EPG screen am I now?".
    There is always a risk doing something different than other softwares. If it's really good, you can win (Apple is the best example). But if the other solution is also good, all users, who got used to it, will not accept the MP2 way easily. Though we don't sell MP2 for money, I'm always thinking how to make the biggest "profit" - how to make the majority happy.

Timhoh1234

Portal Pro
    September 29, 2015
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I see the biggest problem amoung users with usability and navigation
    Most people are overloaded by the amount of EPG screens and prefer only one
    Exactly! These are the points. If you used MP2 since years you might feel comfortable. When coming from another side, it's really hard. In Kodi, MP1 and WMC I could directly find my self comfortable in terms of navigation (without reading a manual!).
    But MP2 is in total such a powerful software, that I take the small "pain" and can live with that. Honestly it would be great, if these points can be partly improved (y)

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    I press the EPG button and do everything in the FullEPG.
    This is something we can and should improve. If you press the EPG Button there the Mini EPG should pop up at it is the ONLY PLACE to navigate the "watch TV directly" thing. The full EPG is for planing things, especially for the schedules management. We even can name things different here. Maybe the big EPG should be named different to e.g. "TV- Management" or similar, just to make clear this is NOT IN FIRST PLACE meant for watching live TV. You can start live TV here but this is more a side effect, not that important. If you use it for something it is not intended for, than you need to live with the drawbacks, if any...

This is one of the big advantages MP2 has, something I really like. and if we would make it as everybody we would loose something of our strength.

Timhoh1234

Portal Pro
    September 29, 2015
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    If you press the EPG Button there the Mini EPG should pop up
    Interesting point. But would it work, if you press the EPG button without a TV program running? I understood, that the MiniEPG works only, if a program is running.
    There was a discussion somewhere why there is no direct TV entry point. The result was, because it's not clear which TV-channel to show. This point would be also valid here.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    But would it work, if you press the EPG button without a TV program running?
    Of course it does.

upload_2017-3-26_12-29-59.png

You see what is running now, what is running next and how far the current program is progressed. I don't know why you need to know what is on the channel in a week or two, if you want to watch TV now. Here a press on "OK" instantly starts the live TV as anyone would expect...

The same screen in Default Theme:
    upload_2017-3-26_12-33-41.png

and in WMC:
    upload_2017-3-26_12-34-21.png

Maybe this is the reason why people don't see the benefit in those two different "EPG". The WMC skin is very limited here because it did not show the following program as in all other skins.. But this is a skin issue, not a program issue... If something needs to be overworked, then it is the WMC skin to also show the following program....

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The result was, because it's not clear which TV-channel to show.
    In general the last watched channel is visible in the list, when you came back, so it is stored somewhere. It should be possible to use it for also starting TV directly...

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    If the "Guide" key (or "G") would lead to mini-guide in future, what key should be mapped for FullGuide?

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    "S" for schedule or "M" for management? I don't know which keys are used already.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    If the "Guide" key (or "G") would lead to mini-guide in future, what key should be mapped for FullGuide?
    Yes, I'd really like to keep the EPG button for the FullEPG screen with all information.
    We could add it to the TV settings and users can decide what is going to happen when pressing the EPG button.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    For me personally this did not matter as I only very seldom use shortcuts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom