[Finished] Make EPG entry point for watching and recording TV (1 Viewer)

What is the expected behavior for selected programs in EPG? (1) for running, (2) for future programs

• (1) & (2): Always a dialogue with choices to watch or record, ... appears

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • (1) -> program shown directly, info button shows dialogue, (2) -> context dialogue.

Votes: 12 85.7%

• Total voters

Brownard

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 21, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    At the risk of adding fuel to the fire ;) I think the standard to follow here is the set top box, I don't think I've ever used a STB or DVR where the main entry point wasn't the full EPG and where the selection of a currently running program didn't jump straight to live TV :whistle:

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have to admit "I hate STB" They are stupid and complicated to use. That's why I started using HTPC very early (nearly 15 years ago). Before using HTPC I only used analoge TV without EPG and the very first steps with a DBox1 (running Linux) that directly lead me to HTPC...

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Just a reference for Medion STBs:
    http://download1.medion.com/downloads/anleitungen/bda_md28004_de-an.pdf
    Page 22.
    Drücken Sie die Taste EPG. Die aktuelle Sendung im aktuellen Programm ist markiert.
    Drücken Sie OK, um sich Informationen über die Sendung anzusehen. Mit der roten Taste VIDEO FORMAT
    schließen Sie das Infofenster.
    Which means freely translated:
    • Press EPG. The currently wached programm is highlighted
    • Press "OK" to show information about the program. With the RED key the info window will be closed.

2nd quick google find:
    http://wisi.de/fileadmin/Software/OR/OR187/bedienungsanleitung_or187.pdf
    "OK"-> Shows to "options" menu. Shows current program details, creates schedules, reminders
    upload_2017-3-26_13-20-57.png

I only want to express that the user interaction of different devices can be one way or another.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Rather than discussing personal tastes, would we want to consider making the behavior configurable?

Timhoh1234

Portal Pro
    September 29, 2015
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I only want to express that the user interaction of different devices can be one way or another.
    Yes, there will be deviations for sure. I can also tell that Emby, Kodi, WMC and MP1 handle it not like this and my Samsung TV doesn't neither.
    The fact is, that the majority prefers to see the dialog window, only if necessary and prefers to use the Full EPG instead of the Mini EPG.
    So making it configurable can saticefy everybody. As default behaviour I recommend the majorities request though.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    What actions should be invoked exactly under different conditions:

Current version of EPG, simple and consistent:
    • Past programs --> OK: Dialog
    • Current program --> OK: Dialog
    • Future programs --> OK: Dialog
    "New":
    • Current program --> OK: Tune | "Info"/Context Menu: Dialog? (Remark: would be inconsistant to invoke dialog differently depending on (not/) current program)
    or "New 2":
    • Past programs --> OK: Tune | "Info"/Context Menu: Dialog? (Question: is it logical to start tuning a channel if you hit ok on a past program, it is over already?)
    • Current program --> OK: Tune | "Info"/Context Menu: Dialog?
    • Future programs --> OK: Tune | "Info"/Context Menu: Dialog? (Question: is it logical to start tuning a channel if you hit ok on a future program, this program is not running now?)
    The 2 "new" versions are only meant as template to make clear which cases we need to consider. If code changes are required, all possible cases need a clear definition what is to be expected.

Brownard

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 21, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Should 'Info' open the context menus in all cases and additionally OK opens the same menu when selecting a past and future program? There's obviously duplication but I think it's a bit more consistent.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    "New":
    • Current program --> OK: Tune | "Info"/Context Menu: Dialog? (Remark: would be inconsistant to invoke dialog differently depending on (not/) current program)
    Should 'Info' open the context menus in all cases and additionally OK opens the same menu when selecting a past and future program? There's obviously duplication but I think it's a bit more consistent.
    I think with the addition from Brownard this is ok. In settings it could be optionally possible to set a dialog always shown by pressing "ok".

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    In settings it could be optionally possible to set a dialog always shown by pressing "ok".
    With this I'm also fine. And this way (future) external plugins like TVWishlist could hook into this dialog without issues, what would not be (that easy) possible if the usage would not be consistent...

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    A first step has been done. Code changes are pushed to: GitHub - MediaPortal/MediaPortal-2 at FEAT_GuideDirectTune.

There is a new TV setting to "auto tune from Guide". If enabled, selecting a currently running program tunes the channel. Otherwise the "program actions" dialog will appear.

One step is open:
    I still need to build the "context menu" key support, so you will be able to use actions on currently running programs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom