Manual tuning - channel/frequency (1 Viewer)

yngve0

Portal Member
January 2, 2009
Home Country
Norway Norway
TV-Server Version: 1.0.0.21149
MediaPortal Version: Dedicated TV-server
MediaPortal Skin: Dedicated TV-server
Windows Version: Windows XP SP3
CPU Type: Intel P4 2,66Ghz
HDD: Seagate Barracuda IV ST340016A
Memory: 1,5 GB
Motherboard: VIA P4M266
Video Card: Avi All-in-Wonder Pro 128
Video Card Driver: 6.13.3279.0
Sound Card: AC'97
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: Hauppauge PVR150
1. TV Card Type: Analoge
1. TV Card Driver: 5.8.430.0
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: Boundled with MediaPortal
MPEG2 Audio Codec: Boundled with MediaPortal
h.264 Video Codec: Not installed
Satelite/CableTV Provider: Canal Digital Analog cable-tv
HTPC Case: Unknown
Cooling: Unknown
Power Supply: Unknown
Remote: No
TV: LG42PG3000
TV - HTPC Connection: HDM

We have (at the moment) only access to analog cable-tv. Autosearch find 90% of the channels availble (after I changed to a card with H/W Encoder). I have problem to type in the missing 10%, since the definition of channel number seems not to match the information supplied by my cable-company.

The list from my cablecompany use channel K05-K12 (VHF) and S13 -> S<something>. The list use also frequency (I guess it is in Mhz).

It seems like Mediaportal use other definition of frequency / Channels. Example; According to my Cable-company, TV3 is availble on S15 (259,25), while MP TV-server have located TV3 on channel 109 (freq 0,000).

What is the "formula" to convert Cable-company tuning into MP-channels?

I

x4mer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    With the TV server config open, click the button at the top left to open the logs folder.

Delete all files in there & leave the window open.

Go to the channels section in TV server & highlight TV3 & select preview.

Once it opens for a few seconds, close it & go to the logs window.

Open TV.log & look for an entry similar to

Analog: Tuned to country:2 video:83250000 Hz audio:87750000 Hz locked:True

Does the frequency that the card tuned to match the one your cable company listed for that channel?

If so, you can add the missing channels by adding in the TV server & setting the frequency to be the ones that the cable company provided. MP by default only specifies channel number & leaves it up to Windows to look up what frequency it's supposed to be for your region. That's why frequency is listed as zero in MP. If you enter something in this field, it will override the channel number lookup, & force the card to this frequency.

eber69

Portal Member
    February 10, 2009
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    x4mer, I tried your tip.

I added a new channel, gave it a name and a frequency. When I close the "Edit channel"-window I see a text in the Types column saying: "Channel not mapped to a card". Can I map it somehow?

I notice that the channel doesn't show in the lists Combinations, TV Mappings, only in TV Epg grabber. I added the channel to my groups ("All Channels" and "Analog") and even tried reboot but with no success.

Preview does not work. A window saying "Previes failed: No TuningDetails" pops up.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Bazz3

Portal Member
    November 11, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    x4mer, I tried your tip.

I added a new channel, gave it a name and a frequency. When I close the "Edit channel"-window I see a text in the Types column saying: "Channel not mapped to a card". Can I map it somehow?

I notice that the channel doesn't show in the lists Combinations, TV Mappings, only in TV Epg grabber. I added the channel to my groups ("All Channels" and "Analog") and even tried reboot but with no success.

Preview does not work. A window saying "Previes failed: No TuningDetails" pops up.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I have the exact same problem...What to do?

x4mer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I just added a channel here.

I selected add, & gave it a name. I selected the analog tab & entered a channel number that I currently wasn't using, entered a frequency to tell the card to tune to, & selected Cable,Canada,tuner as the 3 options in the list.

I then went to TV Channels - TV Mapping, selected a card that was compatible (analog) & the channel was on the left by itself. Just clicked the arrow to move to the right & map to the card.

eber69

Portal Member
    February 10, 2009
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Yees, thanks! I have it working. On the Analog tab the first field is a bit unclear saying "Channel". This should then be the channel number of your choise. That was what I was missing. After that I just went to the TV Mapping and added the channels to my card(s). Thanks x4mer!!

eber69

Portal Member
    February 10, 2009
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Next problem with manuell tuning seems to be when combining channels for more than one tuner. I can't get any of my manuallty tuned channels to go over to the other box in the Combinations page. Could anyone else confirm this problem? Kind of useless to tune manually if I can't use both my tuners. One to watch with and the other to record with. Is there any solution?

x4mer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    How many tuners do you have, & what type?

When you select a manual channel, on the left, in the combo screen, does it populate the right side with eligible matches?

Just tried combining the channel I created earlier in this thread, with one of my ATSC ones. Worked fine.

You said you added a channel number & then it worked fine. Did you also set the three pull down menus like I mentioned above?

eber69

Portal Member
    February 10, 2009
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Channels are working but only with one card, despite that I added them alike on both cards. I have a Hauppauge Winttv MCE 500 (analog) card with 2 tuners. I did pick the drop-down lists and set Sweden, Cable and Tuner respectively. But no, no channels show up in the right box when selecting one channel in the left one. There is a flickering pop-up window (when selecting a channel on the left side), that goes away so fast I can't read it's text. Looking in the log I see no error, only that some (don't remember now which) service is stoped.

I had an idea to add the channels with slitely different name on one card to see if it would try to match the two "different" channels, but I haven't tried this.

x4mer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    You shouldn't be getting anything in the combinations list.

Combinations are used to associate 2 channels that are comparable, from different providers or feeds. When in the combinations screen, you see that the window on the right is labelled "similar channels on other cards".

You only have one card (with two tuners), & one provider. You should just be scanning on one tuner, & then go to channel mapping, & map them all to the 2nd tuner as well.

On my setup I have a digital ATSC HVR-2250 dual tuner, that gets my HD OTA feeds, & a PVR-500 dual tuner that gets my SD cable feeds. I scan with one tuner, & map all channels to the 2nd tuner, & repeat for the other card. I can then use the combinations screen to combine the HD OTA channel with the equivalent cable SD channel on the other card/provider. When a client requests a combined channel, & both HD tuners are busy (they have higher priority), then the combination setting will substitute the SD feed from cable.

When I select the manual channel I created in this thread (mapped to my PVR-500), I'm only presented with channels on my HD card, to create a combo with. Likewise, if I select a channel on my HD card, I'm only offered SD PVR-500 channels to pair it with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom