Massive video stutters on NUC i3 Haswell (1 Viewer)

aspik

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 14, 2008
    Hello MP Community,

I use MP 1.9 on the NUC Core i3-4010U D34010WYKH, most of the time it works very well, but sometimes I experience massive video stutter. Doesn't matter from where the video is playing. In my case there are 3 options:
    - from NAS (running UnRAID),
    - from the internal SSD in the NUC.
    - from usb DVB-C tuner (TT-CT2-4400).
    When the stutter starts, there is now way to get it away, even rebooting the system doesn't help. I usually gave up, go sleep and the next day it runs again smooth. The NUC isn't turned off, it runs 24/7. Yesterday night I finally collected logs, which are attached. In this case the video is playing from NAS.
    OS is win7 x64 with the latest drivers from the intel page. If I forgot to provide something, please let me know, I will provide it asap.
    I would be very thankful for any help!

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    I am no log-expert...but when you say: "sometimes massive stutter" my first call would be windows services or other tools doing background work which utilizes the system. Do you have an defrag, anti-vir, indexing or something still activated? Backups maybe?

EDIT: Other option would be overheating. Did you check the temperatures?

Last edited:

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Besides the good hints from @The_Stig:

Your logs do not show any problem. Also your app and system event logs are both empty. The only way of having empty event logs is to have cleared them right before capturing logs, effectively erasing every possible trace of network, software and/or hardware issues that might have occurred. You may want to provide full logs where you have captured the stuttering.

Regards,
    HTPC_Sourcer

aspik

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 14, 2008
    Thank you all for the answers!

@The_Stig
    The System runs on a plain windows version, no anti-vir, no backups, no defrag. The only 3 Services that I've added to the System are: NZBget, SB, CP. The 3 apps run as a Service in background. I know, you would say that is the reason, but I can ensure you that I've done test where the 3 Services where completely disabled and the stutter still occurred. Also, I have the NUC for three months now and from the beginning where there the 3 Services installed. The stuttering started 2-3 weeks ago. No changes where made to the system.
    No overheating I would say, the case is not even warm.

@HTPC_Sourcer
    The logs where collected with watchdog, selecting the first option. How can I provide the full logs? I thought that this is the option for collecting full logs...

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The logs where collected with watchdog, selecting the first option. How can I provide the full logs? I thought that this is the option for collecting full logs...
    Use option 3 instead. This way all available logs will be collected. Your logs do in principle contain all files - except tswriter and tsreader, which would suggest that you have never used the TV option. Can that be? As I said before, it is very strange that your event logs are empty, except one sole input stating that the event log was cleared. Without event logs it will be difficult to identify any other source of issues. Try to reproduce the issue, then collect all logs with option 3 and indicate the date/time of problem occurrence.

Have you tried to deactivate the Windows Search service?

aspik

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 14, 2008
    OK, I will collect the logs after the issue occurs and attached them.
    except tswriter and tsreader, which would suggest that you have never used the TV option. Can that be?
    No, that can't be, I use the TV-Server.
    Have you tried to deactivate the Windows Search service?
    No, the Service is enabled, but I will disable it.

aspik

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 14, 2008
    Hi @HTPC_Sourcer,
    I could reproduce the stutter, attached logs (option 3) while watching a 720p x264 file. Time stamp is 21:32. The windows search service wasn't disabled for now.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Nothing to do with MediaPortal, but Windows only. Try the following:

Open Task Scheduler
    Select Task Scheduler Library in the left side
    Select Microsoft
    Windows
    Application Experience

Select each of the two tasks and then select disable in the right hand pane for each one.

aspik

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 14, 2008
    Thanks for the Tip! I will disable the task today evening. I have disabled the search service right after I posted the logs, the stutter was still there. I supposed that this isn’t MP fault, now I have a confirmation form an expert :)
    I use MP successfully for years. In my last system I had an Intel E8400 with GT430 but I thought it’s time for a hardware refresh, something more power efficient. I did a bit research and found that the NUC i3 should have enough power for MP. I guess I’ll have to do more tweaking the windows (disabling unnecessary services, uninstalling unwanted windows features etc.) I’ll keep your posted :)
    Does anyone of you have a NUC and use it as an HTPC? What are your experiences?

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The likely source of the issue is visible in the event log where at 21:33 (last line in the list) you can find the entry "Application Experience is running". There could be other similar things in the task scheduler, which will eventually run and lead to video streams being delayed and/or TV being disrupted because the CPU is doing other things. hence disabling some activities like the above will help.

With respect to your NUC an i3 is generally speaking much more than enough. The client's activities in terms of playing video and TV will never use the CPU with more than a low one digit percentage. MePo skinning, i.e. when you operate outside of (full screen !) TV and video displaying is where graphics power is appreciated, yet not necessarily needed as the only consequence of insufficient power would be a less smooth experience when changing selections in the user surface while background pictures (fanart, clear art, etc.) are being displayed. Again, your i3 will have no problems to display this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom