MCE IR Receiver for XP (1 Viewer)

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Man I'm a dumbass. I just bought a 360 Remote and PC Wireless Gaming Receiver for my brother, thinking that he could use them to control his PC, which is at the other end of the room to his TV.

Of course, the remote is IR and thus not compatible with the Wireless Gaming Receiver :oops: Then again the Receiver only cost me £10 and my mate's after one, so that's OK.

So, I'm wondering if there's

a) a cheap-ish IR receiver I can get that will work with this remote in XP and with MediaPortal or XBMC

or

b) a cheap-ish RF remote and receiver I could get that will do the same.

Please help me, I'm stoopid!!

EDIT: I found this, would it work with XP/MP/XBMC? Emprex 3009URF Windows Media Center Remote Control: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo If so, it would probably be ideal as it's RF.

Also, would this receiver HP USB IR Receiver PC Remote Control Windows Vista MCE be able to work with XP using these drivers? Update Rollup 2 for eHome Infrared Receiver for Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 (KB912024)

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Wow, I think the empress remote is impressive but both of these are Vista remotes, which is not a major problem, as there is a method of getting them to work in xp, just cannot access my link to it atm, my pc still in storage :(

Does anyone have the link to Vista mce remote working under xp.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

I just bought this remote, however i only paid US$17 on ebay including free delivery from HK.
    HP MCE KIT REMOTE CONTROL/USB IR RECEIVER/EMITTER VISTA - eBay (item 140366011715 end time Dec-10-09 20:34:13 PST)
    I have been told that it's possible to work with XP.

However bare in mind that some IR receivers can't work with other remote controls.
    eg. the imon receiver is programed to only work with the imon remote.
    This one might be ok, since it has an IR blaster, i presume it is designed to receive lots of different IR signals, so it can learn codes for blasting.

Wow, I think the empress remote is impressive but both of these are Vista remotes, which is not a major problem, as there is a method of getting them to work in xp, just cannot access my link to it atm, my pc still in storage :(

Does anyone have the link to Vista mce remote working under xp.

If you can dig up that link sometime, that would be great!

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Well I've got the Emprex RF remote now.

When I plugged in the USB receiver, it showed up in Device Manager as a USB Composite Device. Like this, as expected just the arrow, enter and volume keys worked, even in MediaPortal with the MCE Remote option selected. The Driver File Details shown in this mode are libusb0.sys and usbccgp.sys.

Then I changed to the MCE Replacement Driver, as described here MCE Remote Replacement Driver FAQ the replacement MCE Remote Driver . I had to edit the inf file first as the DeviceID of USB\VID_046E&PID_5578\5&3364D15F&0&3 wasn't listed, so I added this line to the bottom of the [Microsoft] section: %USB\VID_0471&PID_0815.DeviceDesc%=MCEIR.Dev, USB\VID_046E&PID_5578

After doing that, the device is shown as MCE Infrared Remote Control but it still didn't work in MP. So then I installed HIP, with the MCE plugin, but unfortunately I can't seem to get it to recognise any keys on the remote. I really want to make this work for my brother, so if anyone could help I'd be very grateful.

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    No, none of the buttons work after installing the MCE Replacement Driver.

I'll give those other apps you mentioned a try. I'm wondering if I should install that eHome Update Rollup 2 that I mentioned in my first post, but I'm holding off in case that causes more problems than it fixes.

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    but it didn't work in MediaPortal then, using the MCE Remote option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom