MCE IR Receiver for XP (1 Viewer)

BogMonster

November 18, 2009
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi doveman,

Not sure if you got this far with yours but I now have the following keys operational in MediaPortal following a clean reinstall of the Media Portal software.
Used Windows XP Pro (SP3) and using no modification to the default drivers installed when plugging in the EMPREX remote USB dongle (shows as USB Composite Device and HID Keyboard in device manager)

I selected the 'Use General HID Device' option for the remote type in Media Portal Configuration and stuck with its default key mappings

The main keys now seem to work -

Power On - Yes
Pause - Yes
Stop - Yes
FF - Yes
Skip - Yes
Replay - Yes
Reverse - Yes
Record - Think so (but yet to install TV Card (but get feedback nosie from MP when key pressed))
Back - Yes
Info - Untested at present
All Arrow Keys - Yes
OK - Yes
Vol Up - Yes
Vol Down - Yes
Mute - Yes
Chan up / Down - Think so (but yet to install TV Card (but get feedback nosie from MP when key pressed))

Number Pad - still to completely test but think is good

Would be nice to be able to remap the other additional function keys (Music, Pictures, Video.... etc) but I have been unable to identify at this stage what these are (from a HID point of view) to remap - they don't seem to generate any output when using Media Portal - Even using the KeyboardInputPlugin_2.0.0.0 by ravenrocks in learn mode, these keys don't seem to function but will continue to investigate in the hope that I will crack it.

Still, have main keys operational for basic functionality for now :)

** Thanks to JjG for input / investigation with above

davidm_uk

Portal Member
October 11, 2009
Home Country
Thanks, that's very useful. I stupidly hadn't tried 'Use General HID device', but it appears to work much better!

Don't have everything working yet, but at least play, pause, record, rewind, fast-forward, cursors, and OK are working, and channel up/down. 'Clear' seems to move back rather than the back key, but it's a minor inconvenience. Hopefully with some mappings I can get some of the other keys to work too...

David

[Edit] Info doesn't appear to work, but numeric keys do.

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
Hi BogMonster

Thanks for the update, that does sound promising. I haven't had a chance to experiment with it recently but I'm inclined to now that I know someone else has had some success.

I dare say I'll still be fiddling around with it in a years time though, trying to make it work as an MCE device as it does in Vista/Win7 so that I can use all the keys :D

It was actually intended for my brother, who needed an RF device as his PC's at the other end of the room to his TV, but I'm thinking of building him a dedicated HTPC sometime which he can sit next to the TV and then he'll be able to use any XP compatible IR remote, so I might end up hanging on to this one and getting him something that works properly so it doesn't get too confusing for him!

yhwman

July 21, 2007
Home Country
Thanks for all the posts guys, I was on my way to becoming substantially bald trying to get the Emprex remote to work as an MCE remote!

:D

BogMonster

November 18, 2009
Home Country
Hi yhwman,

Good to know I wasn't the only one out there with this issue... as it was also driving me mad!!

From what I can see, (unless I have got this wrong so apologies in advance - still investigating ;) ) the Emprex remote seems to register as two separate HID devices within Windows XP - the Windows Button, T (Red, Green, Yellow and blue) Rec TV, Live TV, DVD Menu, Music, Picture, Video and Radio keys on one HID device and the rest (the other keys that are working within MediaPortal) on the other.

I can only assume at this stage that when HID Remote is selected, Media Portal registers with the one HID (the first one perhaps) and not all HID devices that are available.... ?..??

From the external tools I have used to investigate so far, I can see that the remote does indeed generate output when the missing keys are pressed so I guess they are available to make use of :)

Perhaps someone with a bit more knowledge of MediaPoratl code may be able to advise of our possible options to get these extra keys working...?...?

Cheers

niblet

Portal Pro
October 4, 2008
Home Country
Just posted this on another thread, but I saw this comment on an amazon review for the Emprex remote

If you use other applications you can bind keypress of remote button to action, but only some of remote buttons generate keyboard press event. I was able to make all buttons fully working using 'autohotkey' software (with Micha's HID device support DLL).

Marst

Portal Member
January 6, 2008
Home Country
Czech Republic Czech Republic
Yesterday I buy this HP remote : http://aukro.cz/item926975673_hp_dalkovy_ovladac.html

I Find this solution ,
I Have standard XP SP3 (no mce)
its working with HP MCE REMOTE "ehome infrared transceiver" :

The secret to cracking it is here .. Troubleshooting the Remote Control and the IR Sensor (Windows XP) - HP technical support (United Kingdom - English)

The eHome Infrared receiver has to be installed as a USB device.

Ignore HP's advice on this page..it doesn't work. Plug the transceiver into a USB port to get the ? you get when the device is seen using Device manager. Then follow the procedure to add the driver as a USB device using Control Panel/System/Device Manager etc. Right click on the ? for the device and follow the standard of installing from a list then choose USB.

I'm sure you'll work it out. My Remote now works like a charm!!

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    That's different to my HP MCE compatible remote kit. I just plugged in into the USB (XP SP3, No MCE) and it automatically installed the ehome infrared receiver driver without any user input, no need to download drivers, crack anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom