[solved] MCE Remote and Generic-hid.xml Keys and Codes (1 Viewer)

billtrib

August 23, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Greetings to all,
I have spent a few hours messing with MediaPortal, moving on from WMC due to loss of channel guide and removal from Win10. However, there is abundant documentation on this forum that shows that the current default remote mappings in the Generic-HID are not what most people migrating from WMC using MCE expect. Many people have not gotten the basic video motion keys (FF, FR,skip, etc.) working and have resorted to keyboards or new hardware. I have version 1.12 which appeared to be the latest stable release to download from the website, but looking at the discussion threads this may not be the case. Any comments appreciated.

I have a generic MCE, it is using the Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver which works perfectly with WMC. I tried to use the gui mapper, the instructions say to "press a key on the remote". When I press it there is a sound but nothing on the GUI changes, so I am thinking that it's not working. I tried setting up the FF key but the remote still does not work for that key in recorded TV playback.

I'm a software engineer, so I figured that I would have a go at editing Generic-hid.xml. But, when I looked at the file keys are numbered and it is unclear how to associate key numbers with key names (like FF). Is there documentation that defines what the key names, key codes and action mnemonics are to enable editing this file with confidence?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Bill

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I have version 1.12 which appeared to be the latest stable release to download from the website, but looking at the discussion threads this may not be the case.
    MP1 is the stable version of MP, and version 1.12 is the current release of it. I installed it myself three weeks ago (over an earlier release).

I have a generic MCE, it is using the Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver which works perfectly with WMC.
    Getting remotes to work can be as easy as falling off a rock, or a nightmare; it depends on what remote you have. I am lucky to be in the former category.

Can you take a photograph of your remote showing all of the buttons and post it to this thread? This may help the experts to identify the problem. A photo of your IR receiver would also be of value. Is it a USB IR receiver?

It is also a good idea to fill in your system specs, as that can sometimes suggest where a problem might reside.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

billtrib

August 23, 2015
    Home Country
    Thanks for your message, Cyber Simian. I like your profile photo. Attached is a picture of the remote. It is plugged into an Intel NUC using the built-in IR adapter. Works like a champ with WMC and the hardware works with MediaPortal because some keys are OK and even the ones that don't still click. I am pretty sure that it is a mapping issue.
    image.jpg
    [DOUBLEPOST=1440349242][/DOUBLEPOST]To clarify: an IR pickup is plugged into the NUC, not the wireless control. System is an i5 64 bit, 8Gb RAM, big side, external HD for content. Windows 7 home premium.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Attached is a picture of the remote.
    A-ha! You have the infamous Ortek VRC-1100 remote :eek: (or one of its clones marketed under other brand names). I have this too in my collection, in the form of the Hama 00052451. This remote is notorious for sending keyboard shortcuts for WMC. The problem is that MP uses different keyboard shortcuts, :(

Some keyboard shortcuts are identical between MP and WMC, which is why some of the buttons work. But the remainder will not. The following post details some of the differences between the MP and WMC keyboard shortcuts as implemented on this remote:

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...-to-map-buttons-properly.131638/#post-1147566

The solution that is most likely to work is to enable "Centarea HID" in "MP Config", and disable all of the others (Generic HID, Microsoft MCE, ...). But you need to use a mapping file too. The attached XML file was created by someone in one of the German MP fora, but I failed to make a note of who it was when I downloaded it last year, so I cannot give him/her credit (sorry about that). Unzip the file and place it in the following folder:

C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\InputDeviceMappings\

Attachments

• Centarea HID.zip
      1.3 KB

billtrib

August 23, 2015
    Home Country
    That did it. Perhaps this needs to be part of the setup instructions, or at least put into the HID/mapping area. Millions of these controls are out there... Interesting that after this file was installed overall I lost control of MediaPortal. The escape key no longer gets out of screens, overall navigation seems to have been compromised. But, the core issue is solved. Thanks again for your prompt help!

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    The escape key no longer gets out of screens
    When you plug in the Ortek IR receiver, Windows thinks that you have plugged in a keyboard and a mouse. This is quite different from a "true" MCE-compatible remote, which appears to Windows as a "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver". Although the advertising for the Ortek claims it is MCE compatible, that is because it sends MCE keyboard shortcuts; but it is still different from an "eHome Infrared Transceiver".

I just tried my Ortek with MP, and you are correct that the ESCAPE key no longer causes return to the previous panel, but the BACKSPACE key does! :) BACKSPACE is the keyboard shortcut that WMC uses to return to the previous panel. So it is probably the case that most of the WMC keyboard shortcuts will work via the keyboard.

You can experiment with the button mappings by using the "Mappings" dialogue accessed from the "Sceneo" tab where "Centarea HID" is enabled.

The Ortek is not a perfect match for MP. When I was experimenting with it last week I noticed that the "I" (INFO) button does nothing, while the START button does what the INFO button ought to do. Hence the START button cannot do what it is supposed to do (which is start MP or WMC from the Windows desktop). This is because the INFO button on the Ortek actually appears to Windows as a right mouse button click, and not as a keystroke.

Overall, I don't recommend the Ortek remote control for use with MP; it can be used, but there are just too many irritating nits. A true MCE-compatible remote is a better fit for use with MP. However, if you want to replace your Ortek, it can be quite difficult to identify a replacement that is a true MCE-compatible remote. Look for all of the following:

(1) One that claims "compatible with Windows MCE" (or "WMC").
    (2) One that has "RC6" on the remote or the packaging.
    (3) One that is supplied with an IR receiver that plugs into a USB socket.

gurk

Portal Pro
    September 12, 2009
    ^Hi, after updating to MP1.13 I followed the advice to disable all remote settings and user the generic only, but this leaves me with this remote with the problems mentioned above.

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    ^Hi, after updating to MP1.13 I followed the advice to disable all remote settings and user the generic only, but this leaves me with this remote with the problems mentioned above.
    I'm afraid that is just too little information for us to help you.
    Open a new thread describe your problem provide your hardware specs, remote, receiver, OS etc... and provide some logs.
    Providing screenshots of your configuration often helps too.
    Tag @Stéphane Lenclud on the new thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom