[solved] MCE remote no longer works Win8.1, MP1.13 (1 Viewer)

jonesdb

Portal Pro
January 11, 2008
Santa Clara, CA
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
My MCE remote no longer works. Win8.1 MP 1.13 MCE remote. Was working, but suddenly stopped. I have checked MP 1.13 config and see that MCE is no longer supported and now we need to use a generic HID I had used IR Server with Translator before, but guess that no longer applies. I have checked Device Manager and see under Human Interface Devices a Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver device and under Universal Serial Buss Controllers a eHome Infrared Receiver (USBCIR) device. I have started IRSS server and check for button presses and they are all good. (Disabled after check.) I have checked the logs, but not sure what to look at other than search for "remote" which appears to be connected. Any suggestions?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I had used IR Server with Translator before, but guess that no longer applies.
    Why do you think that?

Can you be more specific about your previous and current configurations?
    Did/do you have either/both receive or/and transmit enabled for the "Microsoft MCE" handler in IRSS?
    Did you previously have either/both of MP's MCE or/and media remote handlers enabled?

I have checked the logs...
    Unfortunately the log files aren't much help. All I can see is you opening MP, then closing it again approximately 5 seconds later.

If you want HID remote button-presses to be logged, you must enable the HID "extended logging" setting. That setting can be found with all the other HID remote handler settings:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...ion/MediaPortal_Configuration/8_Remote/01_HID

jonesdb

Portal Pro
    January 11, 2008
    Santa Clara, CA
    Home Country
    OK. I just tried again. New logs are attached. I opened MP in debug mode, navigated to TV page with keyboard and then tried pressing left, right, up, down and green button. I previously had IRSS receiver with Microsoft MCE enabled and had MP's MCE's remote handler enabled. I don't know what happened to cause the malfunction of MP, but have been trying to chase it down for close to a week. I've tried running "Debug Client" in the IR Server and that reports MCE button presses. (Press an MCE button, I see a response code for the button pressed) I've tried to change the USB port by unplugging the receiver, device manager reports ehome is gone, plug it back into another port and device manager reports ehome is working again. So far so good. I've tried using "HID Demo". but to no avail. Either I don't understand how to test the remote or it is not working. Either way, I don't see any remote control key presses. I've tried changing HID options in MP, but still no change.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks for the new log files. As you say, there's nothing to indicate that MP is receiving commands from your remote.

I previously had IRSS receiver with Microsoft MCE enabled and had MP's MCE's remote handler enabled.
    Do you understand that only one piece of software can receive from your remote at any given time?
    In other words, if IRSS is receiving the remote button-presses that means MP will be unable to (and vice versa).
    For that reason, the above description of your previous configuration doesn't make any sense to me. Such a configuration simply could not have worked.
    The only two functional MP + IRSS configurations that I'm aware of are:
    • IRSS Microsoft MCE receive enabled, MP MCE remote handler disabled, IRSS MP Control plugin enabled
    • IRSS Microsoft MCE receive disabled, MP MCE remote handler enabled
    I don't know what happened to cause the malfunction of MP, but have been trying to chase it down for close to a week.
    Problems never start for no reason.
    Did you update/upgrade either MP or IRSS?
    Did you install any new software?

My guess is that you updated either or both MP and/or IRSS, and in the process lost the vital MP Control plugin from the above config 1. Without that plugin, your remote would indeed stop working.

I've tried running "Debug Client" in the IR Server and that reports MCE button presses. (Press an MCE button, I see a response code for the button pressed)
    Okay. This clearly indicates IRSS is in control of the remote, and therefore MP's HID remote handler won't be able to receive button-presses.

I've tried using "HID Demo". but to no avail.
    As above. If IRSS is receiving from the remote, nothing else - including MP and the HID Demo - will be able to.

I think you have two options for a way forward:
    1. Disable IRSS's Microsoft MCE handler and enable MP's HID handler. This should work because IRSS will no longer be preventing MP from receiving the remote button-presses.
    2. Reinstall IRSS. Ensure you enable the option to install the MP Control plugin during installation. Enable the MP Control plugin and disable MP's HID handler. This should work because the MP Control plugin will enable IRSS to pass along the button-presses it receives to MP. In other words: remote -> IRSS -> MP Control -> MP.

jonesdb

Portal Pro
    January 11, 2008
    Santa Clara, CA
    Home Country
    OK. I just uninstalled IRSS and reinstalled MP1.13. Went into MP config and made sure HID was the only thing checked. Started MP and still no remote control. Went back to MP config and unchecked HID. Re-installed IRSS(latest version). Went into MP config and when I click "Plugins" I get an error message "An error occurred while loading the plugin file MPControlPlugin.dll. It's broken or incompatible with the current MediaPortal version and won't be loaded."
    Yes I am aware that only one piece of software can listen to the IR commands at a time. I may have been wrong in what I thought I had configured, but it has been a long time (several years) since I set it up. There have been numerous hardware and software changes since then. I believe that the remote crash took place after a WIN8.1 update, but am no longer sure of that.
    I agree that with IRSS in control nothing else would work. That being said, I had originally turned off the IR Server (and changed to manual start). That was no help. I'm thinking a fresh install (from scratch) of MP or MP2 might do the trick. Thoughts?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I just uninstalled IRSS and reinstalled MP1.13. Went into MP config and made sure HID was the only thing checked. Started MP and still no remote control.
    Okay, two points in response.

First, if you're thinking of skipping IRSS, make sure you update your MP plugins [with the MP Extension Installer]. When we migrated to HID, it was found that certain plugins blocked reception of remote control commands.

Second, in this scenario (IRSS uninstalled), the HID Demo should now work (when MP is closed). Please try that. If it still doesn't work, please let me know if you have ever installed KODI/XBMC. I ask this because it was found that KODI's MCE remote plugin did some nasty things that could mess up other programs including MP.

Re-installed IRSS(latest version). Went into MP config and when I click "Plugins" I get an error message "An error occurred while loading the plugin file MPControlPlugin.dll. It's broken or incompatible with the current MediaPortal version and won't be loaded."
    If you're getting that message then you haven't installed the latest version of IRSS. The latest versions are here:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...-unoficial-testing-version-no-support.119847/

I believe that the remote crash took place after a WIN8.1 update, but am no longer sure of that.
    So did you or did you not update/install other software?

I agree that with IRSS in control nothing else would work. That being said, I had originally turned off the IR Server (and changed to manual start). That was no help. I'm thinking a fresh install (from scratch) of MP or MP2 might do the trick. Thoughts?
    Generally reinstalling doesn't help, and it often makes problems worse. Therefore I don't advise it.

At this point it's not exactly clear to me why MP is not able to handle your remote with HID when IRSS is uninstalled. However, you should be able to get the MP Control plugin installed and working if you install the [actual] latest version of IRSS. I'm 99.9% confident that solution will work.

I can't help with MP2.

jonesdb

Portal Pro
    January 11, 2008
    Santa Clara, CA
    Home Country
    Second, in this scenario (IRSS uninstalled), the HID Demo should now work (when MP is closed). Please try that. If it still doesn't work, please let me know if you have ever installed KODI/XBMC. I ask this because it was found that KODI's MCE remote plugin did some nasty things that could mess up other programs including MP.
    I have never installed KODI/XBMC

If you're getting that message then you haven't installed the latest version of IRSS. The latest versions are here:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/t...-unoficial-testing-version-no-support.119847/
    Thanks for that link. I did download the latest IRSS, installed it and now MP "Plugins" does not produce the error message. I went in to configure the IR Plugin and all seems appropriate. Next I unchecked the HID under "Remotes" (in fact nothing is checked under any of the tabs)
    I restarted MP and no response to the remote (logs for MP and IRSS attached).

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The IRSS log files show startup, then show:
    2016-03-19 21:46:00.776172 [Info.][Main Thread]: Log Verbosity Level: Off

...then nothing.
    So, can you please repeat the test with IRSS debug logging enabled. The IRSS log level setting is found in the main IRSS window (input service configuration) -> advanced. You may need to restart the service in order for the change to take effect.
    While you're in there, please take a look at the IRSS Microsoft MCE config. On the "remote" tab, "enable remote control input" should be ticked.

[edit: I also meant to say...
    Very important - if you're going to use the Watchdog to collect log files while relying on the MP Control plugin, you need to use Watchdog option 2 (report a bug to a plugin developer or skin designer). With option 1, all 3rd party plugins - including MP Control - are disabled, so obviously the remote won't work in that mode.]

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks! (y)
    So, the IRSS log files show something is definitely received. In the Microsoft MCE handler log we have:
    2016-03-20 13:09:12.335466 - Received timing:...

However I don't know whether IRSS recognised the button because in the main IRSS log we have:
    2016-03-20 12:45:19.727675 [Info.][4]: Log Verbosity Level: Warn

In the MP log I can also see that the MP Control plugin appears to be working correctly:
    [2016-03-20 13:08:51,900] [Log ] [GenericPCQueue] [DEBUG] - MPControlPlugin: Registered to IR Server

...and at last we can identify the problem. MP is receiving the button presses via IRSS, but they're not recognised by the MP Control plugin:
    [2016-03-20 13:09:11,405] [Log ] [GenericPCQueue] [DEBUG] - MPControlPlugin: Received Message "RemoteEvent"
    [2016-03-20 13:09:11,406] [Log ] [GenericPCQueue] [DEBUG] - MPControlPlugin: keyCode "7136" was not handled
    [2016-03-20 13:09:12,433] [Log ] [GenericPCQueue] [DEBUG] - MPControlPlugin: Received Message "RemoteEvent"
    [2016-03-20 13:09:12,435] [Log ] [GenericPCQueue] [DEBUG] - MPControlPlugin: keyCode "7137" was not handled

Perhaps there's some additional configuration (mapping button/key codes to actions/commands???) required in the MP Control plugin before everything will work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom