MCE Remote Not Working in MP2 (1 Viewer)

redfoot0

Portal Member
September 14, 2015
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi,
I recently uninstalled MP1 and installed MP2. My MCE Remote worked fine before and now does not work anymore so I cannot switch channels or navigate the guide with my remote (gyration remote).
Any suggestions please?
Thanks

D P Graves

Portal Member
March 3, 2017
Home Country
Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
Well, perhaps. I can only tell you a story...

I moved from Windows Media Center (Win 7) to MP2 (Win 10) and my RC6 remote only worked partly (a few buttons). I tracked this down to the fact that my tuner cards had infrared receiver functionality built into them. For some reason this became an issue on Windows 10 (not just MP2). I disabled all the related IR devices in Windows device manager that related to my tuner cards. I found that the best way to identify them was to uninstall my tuner card drivers and reinstall them. That way I could check in device manager on the events tab (driver installation date) to be sure that I was disabling the correct devices.

redfoot0

Portal Member
September 14, 2015
Home Country
Thanks for the tip. I uninstalled my TV card driver and reinstalled and the Microsoft ehome infrared transceiver gets installed but it cannot be disabled (no option to disable)

D P Graves

Portal Member
March 3, 2017
Home Country
Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. Disable these devices in the Human Interface Devices section:

HID-compliant comsumer control device
HID-compliant system controller
HID-compliant vendor-defined service

I couldn't disable the ehome infrared transceiver either. I had multiple copies of these devices. Sometimes 3, sometimes 4. Make sure that you only delete any that are related to your tuner card(s).

This worked for me. I hope it does for you.

Last edited:

redfoot0

Portal Member
September 14, 2015
Home Country
Thanks again. I did that for all of those devices with the same install date but it didn't make a difference for me (have rebooted)

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    For the sake of completeness: A fully compatible MCE remote is working out of the box in MP2. If it didn't four you, then there is high probability that your model is not compliant with the Microsoft standard.

redfoot0

Portal Member
    September 14, 2015
    Home Country
    With MP1 my remote is only set up as a generic HID remote so nothing out of the ordinary there.
    A generic HID remote should work out of the box in MP2 then (it's a gyration remote I have)

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    A generic HID remote is in no way compatible with a "real" MCE remote. The MCE is a real remote with own drivers and entry in device manager (Microsoft eHome infrared transceiver) where the HID remote simulates keyboard presses.

We are working on implementing a generic input handler, but as for now your remote is not supported out of the box as it is not compatible with the Microsoft standard. You either can use IRSS or the input device manager plugin to set up your remote manually.

redfoot0

Portal Member
    September 14, 2015
    Home Country
    Thanks for replying. Is a "real" mce remote only denoted by having it's own driver and an entry for Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver? I have both those entries in device manager.
    How else can I tell what is a "real" mce remote that with work with MP2 and what isn't?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom