Media Center EPG and mc2xml Problem (1 Viewer)

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    the mc2xml web page has this comment about the old legacy/vista download and newer win7/8 download, "2015-07-07: MS swiched EPG providers for certain countries. Send an email (from same address) if you have any problems/errors." http://mc2xml.hosterbox.net/

I suspect all of this is tied to win10 release the end of this month since WMC is not supported in win10, and phasing out support for WMC. not sure what xbox-one uses for EPG download.

blackheart42

Portal Pro
    October 13, 2006
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I don't know if this situation has anything to do with Microsoft changing EPG providers. I think it's probably just Microsoft shutting down the 'Legacy Service' and yes, that might result in changing EPG providers. Why have two services in operation for a discontinued product when all of your 'official' customers can be automatically updated to the new system via Windows Update? Even the Windows 10 launch may have been more coincidence than anything.

By the way, for anyone who's keeping track, I'm legally using Microsoft's EPG data. I'm running MediaPortal on Win 7 with Media Center! :) Why? Because when I wanted to set it up, Media Center didn't have proper support for ATSC channels in Canada and besides, Media Center has been a dead product since 2005.

edit: I just browsed through that monster thread at TGB. I feel like I dodged a very big bullet. How did they manage to get the listings right for my little corner of the Canadian prairies and mess up so many large U.S. cities? Bizarre!

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I think it's probably just Microsoft shutting down the 'Legacy Service' and yes, that might result in changing EPG providers.
    I respectfully disagree.

My understanding is that the legacy service is used by WMC on applicable XP MCE and Vista machines. WMC on W7 and 8/8.1 use the non-legacy service. If MS were simply shutting down or replacing the legacy service, that should not affect people that use WMC on W7 and 8/8.1... but it is clear from TGB thread that people using W7/8/8.1 are affected. Therefore we can be sure that the non-legacy service is affected by the migration, and this can't be only a shut down of the legacy service.

If MS are shutting down the legacy service as well as migrating the non-legacy service (for cost cutting reasons or some other), I would have thought it would have been necessary to notify the folks clinging to WMC on XP MCE and Vista that they would lose service. After all, Vista is still under extended support. ...but maybe MS have been naughty and not notified, I don't know.

Why have two services in operation for a discontinued product when all of your 'official' customers can be automatically updated to the new system via Windows Update?
    As above, my understanding is that the legacy service is used by WMC on applicable XP MCE and Vista machines. The inability of those versions of WMC to handle the format of the non-legacy service [used by WMC on 7 and 8] would be one possible reason to have 2 services. Personally I can't imagine that after all these years MS would suddenly decide to release a patch that enables WMC on XP MCE and Vista to switch to the non-legacy service. So, I expect the 2-service scenario to continue.

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    as an experiment, I started vista/wmc for the 1st time in 3+ years, can't remember the last time I used it,

guide downloaded, has most of the local channels, and listings that end July 26 or so, "about page" shows zap2it start/end date July12/Aug3, but real data ends July 26. not interested enough to figure out how to get vista/wmc guide switched to new provider

The_Keymaker

Portal Member
    February 11, 2014
    Home Country
    OK, I'm confused.

I've been using Mediaportal and XMLTV plugin with MC2XML (free version 1.3 and Microsoft legacy service) to import my guide data for months and everything was working fine.

I just noticed that my guide data stops after July 26th, 2015.

I started reading the The Green Button thread but after a few pages gave up as the solutions and discussion centered around WMC not MediaPortal (I don't use WMC).

So my questions is: what do I need to do to get my guide working again in MediaPortal for programs beyond July 26th using MC2XML?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello :)

...gave up as the solutions and discussion centered around WMC not MediaPortal (I don't use WMC).
    True, however, the problem has absolutely nothing to do with MediaPortal.

Your guide data flow is something like this:
    Microsoft/TMS/Rovi => mc2xml => TV Server XMLTV plugin => TV Server => MediaPortal

The breakage is way back at the first step, somewhere at MS/TMS/Rovi... or between them and mc2xml. There really is nothing we can do to fix this.

The mc2xml dev(s) seem to be aware of the problem, because their web page says:
    2015-07-07: MS swiched EPG providers for certain countries. Send an email (from same address) if you have any problems/errors (12435R/string error).
    http://mc2xml.hosterbox.net/

I suggest you ensure you're using the latest version of mc2xml.
    The solutions mentioned in TGB thread such as reconfiguring with neighbouring zip codes and messing with DNS are applicable to you with mc2xml, so you should try them too.
    If all else fails, consider donating to get the "premium" mc2xml. Somebody reported that version works earlier in this thread:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/media-center-epg-and-mc2xml-problem.131337/#post-1144435

...or alternatively, switch over to another source such as SchedulesDirect.

The_Keymaker

Portal Member
    February 11, 2014
    Home Country
    mm1352000,

Thank you for your response and I apologize if I implicated MediaPortal in any way.

I've updated to the latest version of mc2xml.exe (v1.30) and acquired the guide with the same result.

I think the problem lies in the Microsoft Legacy Service, as the guide data is correct and properly formatted and MC2XML downloads it fine. It's just that it STOPS at July 26th which indicates MS has stopped supporting that service, at least for the time being.

I'll try the 'premium' version of MC2XML.exe and the newer MS service and report back with my results.

clarkebelt

Portal Pro
    June 8, 2014
    Home Country
    Another option, at least for people in the USA and Canada, is zap2xml. It's a Perl script, therefore requires that Perl is installed on your system.

mrceolla

Portal Pro
    December 11, 2010
    Hello,

I'm using the xmlTV plugin in the TV Server. I ponied up for the mc2xml version that supports the new Microsoft service. It downloads a file and the channels import into MP, but the programs do not. I tried to revert to the MS legacy service as someone else had mentioned but that didn't work either. I re-mapped channels every time. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Madison, WI

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    It downloads a file and the channels import into MP, but the programs do not.
    ...which means one of:
    1. You haven't mapped the guide channels to tuning channels on the mapping tab. You would have to do this after each service switch.
    2. You haven't hit import after saving the updated mapping.
    3. You aren't allowing enough time for the import to complete.
    4. Some kind of error is occurring... but since you haven't posted log files, I can't make any educated comments about this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom