Media Centre Recorded TV import (convert NFO to XML meta data format) (1 Viewer)

Ronski

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 21, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    I'm just in the process of moving from Media Centre to MP1, and wish to move all my TV recordings to MP recorded TV.

Having Googled and searched the threads there didn't appear to be an easy/existing way to do this so I've come up with a solution that will hopefully work, although I've done limited testing and am hoping someone can tell me if there is any improvements/problems they can see before I try it on my entire recorded TV.

I've attached a ZIP file which includes the following files:
    • Base.xml - this is just the base XML file that my program reads and then writes out to the new file with the metadata it's retrieved from the NFO file and the file name.
    • MP NFO to XML Parser.exe - This is a .Net program I've written (I'm no expert)
    • An NFO file produced via MCE Buddy
    • An XML file produced via my program
    For my program to work you need to extract Base.xml and the exe file to a single folder of your choice, then it's a three stage process.

1. Convert all WTV recordings using MCE Buddy
    2. Convert the NFO files to XML files that MP1 can read
    3. Copy the files to MP recorded TV folder and import the recordings via the TV server
    For step one you need to setup MCE Buddy to use custom file renaming using the following values, and set it up to convert your video files to TS files - I've gone for uncompressed to keep the quality the same.

Code:
    \%network%\%showname%\%showname% - %recordyear%-%recordmonth%-%recordday% - S%season% - E%episode% - %episodename%%recordhour%%recordminute%

For step two you need to run a program I've written, use the browse button to select the route folder that MCE Buddy has created the new files in. Then press the 'Scan folders' button and it will list all the NFO files it finds. Finally press the 'Process Files' button and it will then create the XML files and rename the TS files losing the time appended to the end. If the 'Delete NFO files checkbox' is ticked it will delete them once converted.

Step three is to import them via the TV Server.

Whilst I'm doing this for WTV files, it should work for any format that MCE Buddy can handle and produces an NFO file.
    As always please work on a backup of your recorded TV.

Attachments

• NFO_PARSER.zip
      16.5 KB
    Last edited:

LJG

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2012
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    MP1 will playback the native .wtv files from WMC.

Your plans sounds good, but quite complex.

Alternative options are to rename them into a format that can then be imported into MP TV Series, eg. The Apprentice (UK) s01e01.
    Or, you can access them via shares view in Videos.

Ronski

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 21, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    Yes I realise I could just copy them into video's or series, but I want to make the transition from MCE to MP as straight forward as possible for the wife and kids, and I've seen plenty of other posts where people moving across wanted to do the same. This should make it relatively simple and straight forward to get the recorded TV into where it belongs.

Can anybody see any potential problems with the created meta data file?

LJG

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2012
    Home Country
    You're welcome.

For new users my personal opinion is that just renaming the files and importing into TV Series, would be more simple and straight forward, and quicker than re-encoding both the video file and the metadata. Your wife and kids may prefer the layout of MP TV Series to the Recorded TV one, why not do some samples for them and see what they think?

Coppice

Portal Member
    August 14, 2015
    Home Country
    This is just what I've been looking for! I have converted my files and created the NFOs however when processing the files with the tool I get the following error - any ideas?:

************** Exception Text **************
    System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
    at MP_NFO_to_XML_Parser.Form1.ConvertFile(String& FilenameWithPath, Boolean DeleteNFO)
    at MP_NFO_to_XML_Parser.Form1.BtnProcessFiles_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.6.96.0 built by: NETFXREL2STAGE
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
    ----------------------------------------
    MP NFO to XML Parser
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///D:/MP%20NFO%20to%20XML%20Parser.exe
    Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 10.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 14.6.79.0 built by: NETFXREL2
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
    System
    Win32 Version: 4.6.79.0 built by: NETFXREL2
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    System.Core
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
    System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
    System.Runtime.Remoting
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
    System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
    System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
    System.Xml.Linq
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml.Linq/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.Linq.dll

Last edited:

Ronski

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 21, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Coppice,

I converted all of my recordings with it, however there was two that caused an error, both of them appeared to be missing meta data when I looked at the WTV files.

I still have those two files so I can test and fix the crash, I'll try and get this done sometime soon. However I'm not sure your crash was the same as mine.

Did it convert any of your NFO files?

I also found it easier to convert one channels programs at a time, as MP didn't recognise some channel names, these can be matched when importing the files, hence doing one channel at a time.

Ronski

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 21, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    I've updated the program attached to the first post, can you give that a go and see how you get on please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom