Media Portal Audio Renderer (MPAR) & No volume control (1 Viewer)

jsc2013

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 17, 2013
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I cannot seem to get MPAR working, specifically, when it is activated under the 'Codec and Renderer' section, I am then unable to control the volume from within MP.

Mute works, and pressing the volume button on my remote gets the slider moving up & down, but the actual volume stays constant. This is on all TV channels.

I have tried numerous settings within the volume configuration section, to no avail. Within LAV, I have all the various things turned off, that need to be off ( as per the wiki.. http://tinyurl.com/chst449)

My PC is connected to the TV via HDMI. Running 1.3.0 final

I am at work at the moment so cannot post log files. Does anyone have any pointers or ideas in the interim?

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I cannot seem to get MPAR working, specifically, when it is activated under the 'Codec and Renderer' section, I am then unable to control the volume from within MP.

That is how it is supposed to be. You should change the volume on your TV or amplifier not via MP.
    Quoting @tourettes (author of MPAR) here:
    In your MPAR settings the exclusive WASAPI mode is not enabled - that allows the volume control to work, but as a side effect OS mixer is able to resample the audio how ever it feels like (sample rate conversion, speaker mix down).

Last edited:

jsc2013

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 17, 2013
    Home Country
    Thanks - I could not ask for a better and faster response than that!

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    And in future MPAR will allow the volume control to be done (which lowers the audio quality a bit when done before the signal hits the amplifier).

jsc2013

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 17, 2013
    Home Country
    Thanks tourettes - Do you know (roughly?) when this is expected?

MPAR is brilliant by the way - makes a noticeable difference to the 'watchability' of HD TV

Last edited:

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country

jsc2013

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 17, 2013
    Home Country
    Just to make it clear, if you un-tick the 'Use exclusive mode' box in MPAR settings (see http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/141_Configuration/MediaPortal_Configuration/9_Codecs_and_Renderer/3_MP_Audio_Renderer_(MPAR)/Configuration ) the normal MP/Windows volume controls will work. The only downside to this is that in theory you can loose some audio quality, but it's unlikely you will notice a difference.

I can confirm this works brilliantly!

Many Thanks:)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Just to make it clear, if you un-tick the 'Use exclusive mode' box in MPAR settings (see http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/141_Configuration/MediaPortal_Configuration/9_Codecs_and_Renderer/3_MP_Audio_Renderer_(MPAR)/Configuration ) the normal MP/Windows volume controls will work. The only downside to this is that in theory you can loose some audio quality, but it's unlikely you will notice a difference.

I can confirm this works brilliantly!

In addition to the small quality drop (which in most cases is probably inaudible) the MPAR will not be able to specify the used channel count. Instead it is forced to down/up mix all the content to the speaker configuration the OS has been set up.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Will MPAR support decoding + re-encoding HD_Audio (or some other way of adjusting the timing) in the future?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom