Media Portal Audio Renderer (MPAR) & No volume control (1 Viewer)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Will MPAR support decoding + re-encoding HD_Audio (or some other way of adjusting the timing) in the future?

By HD audio do you mean Dolby Digital Plus, TrueHD & DTS-HD audio formats? If yes then the answer is no.

1. There are no free / open source audio encoders for those formats
    2. If you are able to play one of those formats you are already having a connection that is capable of LPCM audio so re-encoding doesn't make any sense
    You can already re-encode those audio formats to AC3 with current MPAR.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    re-encoding would make sense if you wanted DTS-HD audio played back at a different speed. But from what I guessed it would not be possible.

What happens with MP_AudioRender if the audio codec bitstreams DTS-HD, does it just do nothing and we still get the DTS-HD at the receiver, or does it cause problems (Question is for setup guide and I don't have HD Audio receiver)

Last edited:

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    re-encoding would make sense if you wanted DTS-HD audio played back at a different speed. But from what I guessed it would not be possible.

It will work already since audio decoder is sending the audio as PCM to MPAR. There is just no point in re-encoding the MPAR modified content since it can be send as LPCM to amp.

What happens with MP_AudioRender if the audio codec bitstreams DTS-HD, does it just do nothing and we still get the DTS-HD at the receiver, or does it cause problems (Question is for setup guide and I don't have HD Audio receiver)

MPAR won't connect to a graph if the incoming audio stream is not decoded PCM.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

It will work already since audio decoder is sending the audio as PCM to MPAR. There is just no point in re-encoding the MPAR modified content since it can be send as LPCM to amp.

But in this situation we have a loss of audio quality as we no longer get DTS-HD. What I am getting at is not possible, I just reply to you saying re-encoding wouldn't make any sense. If MPAR could process/re-encode DTS-HD then we could speed up the audio for fps-hz matching and retain HD-Audio.

tourettes said:

MPAR won't connect to a graph if the incoming audio stream is not decoded PCM.

ok thanks. Do you know if this results in loss of sound?

Last edited:

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005

But in this situation we have a loss of audio quality as we no longer get DTS-HD. What I am getting at is not possible, I just reply to you saying re-encoding wouldn't make any sense. If MPAR could process/re-encode DTS-HD then we could speed up the audio for fps-hz matching and retain HD-Audio.

HD audio formats are lossless. Decoding those to (L)PCM is a lossless operation. There wont be any quality improvement if the (L)PCM would be encoded with a lossless audio codec.

There is a slight loss of audio quality when MPAR processes the audio (does timestretch or other conversion like bitdepth or sample rate). Re-encoding the audio wont take that quality loss away.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Ahh thanks, You've improved my understanding then. I thought LPCM was limited to 5.1 I can now see there is little point in bistreaming DTS-HD when you miss out on hz:fps matching :)

ed76

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    hi,
    short question: i want to test the mp audio renderer without exclusiv mode to have the possibility to change sound volume.
    i use win8 and under the sound options you can set under advanced options for every sound device a kind of dynamic range compression (in german its called "lautstärkeausgleich"). will this drc feature still work with mp audio renderer or not?

Spaldo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 7, 2008
    FlashFXP Development Team
    Home Country
    I know this thread is a little old. But, I just wanted to say that it helped me with a problem I had after updating to 1.11.0 and new ATI drivers. For some reason I lost volume control and I have now unticked exclusive mode in MP Audio Renderer settings and it looks like it is fixed. After much searching I found this thread and it helped. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom