[no Bug] Media Portal Client Config does not work - windows 7 (1 Viewer)

David Beaney

Portal Member
January 4, 2014
Home Country
Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
MediaPortal Version: 1.6.0

Description
Hi

I have been using media portal for about a month now. My set up is a server operating on a windows 7 64 bit PC and three clients - one windows 8 and two windows 7 64 bit.

All was working fine...... then I needed to install the client on another PC. Also windwos 7 64 bit with all the most recent windows update applied. The install failed and I was unable to do the initial client configuration as I got the windows message saying the config app had stopped working.

I then did a clean install of media portal on a machine that previosuly had been working ..... and got the same error. So now I have 2 clients not working.

This was in mediaportal 1.5. I downloaded 1.6 hoping for better luck but the same issue is there.

My suspicion is that one of the recent windows 7 security updates has broken something in media portal

Steps to Reproduce:
Do a new install of Media Portal using the client option and the TV option.
The install may fail at the point of installing the LAV filters or if you deselect the LAV filters may run to completion
Then on first starting Media Portal as the first config screen appears, you get the windows message
[Window Title]
MediaPortal Configuration

[Main Instruction]
MediaPortal Configuration has stopped working

[Content]
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

[Close program]

Last edited by a moderator:

David Beaney

Portal Member
January 4, 2014
Home Country
Thanks for responding sebastiii

This is the error report that comes up when I run in debug mode. No log appears to be available

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file 'C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\MediaPortal.xml'.
File name: 'C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\MediaPortal.xml'
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.File.InternalCopy(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean overwrite, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.File.Copy(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean overwrite)
at WatchDog.MPWatchDog.CreateTemporaryConfiguration()
at WatchDog.MPWatchDog.LaunchMediaPortalAction()
at WatchDog.MPWatchDog.ProceedButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.18408 built by: FX451RTMGREL
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
WatchDog
Assembly Version: 1.6.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.6.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Team%20MediaPortal/MediaPortal/WatchDog.exe
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
Utils
Assembly Version: 1.6.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.6.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Team%20MediaPortal/MediaPortal/Utils.DLL
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

==================

Then when I run media watchdog and ask it to export the log files, I get the following error where there is a report of the same missing file, but no logs appear to be created

---------------------------

MediaPortal WatchDog -- Error
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file 'C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\\MediaPortal.xml'.

File name: 'C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\\MediaPortal.xml'

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

at System.IO.File.InternalCopy(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean overwrite, Boolean checkHost)

at System.IO.File.Copy(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean overwrite)

at WatchDog.PostTestActions.PerformActions()
OK

Thanks

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    It seems that install didn't go well because it seems to be a missing files but why !!
    This is strange.

Did you try to reinstall ?

David Beaney

Portal Member
    January 4, 2014
    Home Country
    Yes I have tried reinstalling. Sometimes the install itself fails, othertimes the install appears to complete but still the same outcome.

Also same on two different PC's both running windows 7 64 bit.

If I could get the missing file I could manually copy it into the default location to see whether that fixes the problem

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Try to use mediaportal.xml from your other pc :)
    Not sure it will work but can give a try :p

David Beaney

Portal Member
    January 4, 2014
    Home Country
    I have two working media portal PC's - one running on windows 8 32bit as a client and one running windows 7 as a server - will the file mediaportal xmi be the same on either of those? ...... while you are replying I will be trying![DOUBLEPOST=1389981514][/DOUBLEPOST]Hah - similar but different failure this time ..... now I have a log to upload.

The XML file was not present on my server copy of mediaportal so I found it in my windows 8 client...... and the resulting failure is per the attached log. This time it looks like my pc was trying to load the default mediaportal skin when the app stopped worked

Last edited:

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Yes I have tried reinstalling. Sometimes the install itself fails, othertimes the install appears to complete but still the same outcome.
    I'm seeing some weird font issues in your error logs and a visualisation crash.

Please disable Music visualisation and try again.
    If that still doesn't work, then i think you need to re-install MediaPortal and make sure it installs complete.
    The install shouldn't fail.

David Beaney

Portal Member
    January 4, 2014
    Home Country
    Music visualisation seems to be related to Windows Media player which I don't use. I have not downloaded any visualisations; as there aren't any I cannot see how to turn them off,

The install nevertheless is failing just after the LAV filters have been downloaded - or if I deselect the LAV filters there is no visible evidence of an install failure - but I suspect the same install failure is happening as there are files missing as reflected in the debug failure reports higher up this string.

I have downloaded 1.6 on two separate occaisions from the mediaportal site so it does not seem to be a corrupt file issue - partic as the same issue started happening with 1.5

To be clear I am seeking to perform a client install - although I had the same failure when I tried to do a complete one click install

David

David Beaney

Portal Member
    January 4, 2014
    Home Country
    Just done a clean install of media portal 1.6.

Prior to the install I did a full delete of all media portal files and registry settings and then did a restart of the pc. Also downloaded the latest microsoft updates.

INstalled the media portal client without the lav filters and without Titan extensions. Install was successfull.

But then when I opened mediaportal config I get the same errors as I reported in my first and second posts in this string

I am baffled

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom