Media Portal for use in Australia? (1 Viewer)

wardh

July 9, 2015
Home Country
Australia Australia
Hi,

I would like to use Media Portal with my DVB-T dual TV card.

So here are my questions?

1. Does MP need to have MS Media Centre installed to work? Or just the windows drivers
for the TV card?

2. How can I configure the system to get an Electronic Program Guide for Australia?

3. I am not sure on this - can it somehow get the guide from the DVB-T signal - I could be incorrect on this?

Thanks,

Ward.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome! :)

1. Does MP need to have MS Media Centre installed to work? Or just the windows drivers
    for the TV card?
    Media Centre is not required. Technically it isn't always as simple as "just" the Windows drivers... but as long as you're installing MP's TV Server on XP, Vista, W7, W8/8.1 or W10 (as most people are) you won't need anything else.

2. How can I configure the system to get an Electronic Program Guide for Australia?

3. I am not sure on this - can it somehow get the guide from the DVB-T signal - I could be incorrect on this?
    Yes, I think MP should be able to get the guide from the DVB-T signal using the built in EPG grabber:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...figuration/TV-Server_Configuration/05_DVB_EPG

It should just work after scanning in your channels... though you may need to give MP a bit of time to acquire the guide info. If you have problems with this there are also other options such as:
    1. EPG Collector + XMLTV plugin.
    2. mc2xml + XMLTV plugin.
    3. Ice TV subscription + XMLTV plugin.

Regards,
    mm

Lardy

Portal Pro
    April 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    +1 for IceTV with XMLTV plugin.

If you provide some more information on your TV card, someone may be able to confirm their setup.

Skywizard

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2015
    Canberra
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I live in Aus in Canberra to be specific and have to thank windows 10 for directing me to MP -- What a great step - a breath of fresh air.
    I found on win 10 install MP works well. I use 2 Hauppauge dual tuners and a Kaiser Baas USB TV/digital radio stick. As far as getting the hardware to work I used the windows "Update drivers" feature - and had all the tuners working in no time.

I was able to get IceTV guide working without too much fuss. I even have the TV logos working.
    It was (and still is) though a steep learning curve and not as simple as Win MCE to configure. Now that I have some idea of what I am doing I can configure from scratch in under an hour.

No you are not incorrect - you can get the FTA guide.

You can tick the right boxes when configuring the TV Server for the FTA guide or configure it to use IceTV Guide.

I am now at the stage of trying to get the MCE or Harmony one IR remote/s to work - this is my main hangup ATM - when this is done I can then sit back and watch.....

Skywizard

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2015
    Canberra
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    That is what I keep hearing but all I get is the navigation buttons working the rec/pause/play/guide/live TV all do nothing or there is no response - I have to press the "i" button to go back.....

It is the same for the Harmony when configured for WMC.

spachti

Portal Pro
    July 27, 2005
    Bible Belt
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    This is just a guess right now, but you're using Windows 10, right?
    There is no WMC support in Win 10, that could be the explanation for it. Maybe somebody else has already a solution for that, I don't since I'm still on Win 7.

Edit:
    Did you check the MS remote/keyboard in the remote section of the configuration program? I had to do that to get the whole set of commands working.

Select Remote in the Navigation Panel in Configuration to display the settings for the Windows MCE (Media Center Edition) Remote

There are several variations of the MCE Remote, all are supported in MediaPortal. See MCE Remote for further details

=Remote.png

• Use Microsoft MCE remote or keyboard - select this option to activate/use this remote in MediaPortal
    • Extending Logging - provides additional information in the MediaPortal.log file much like the Debug Logging option for MediaPortal
    • Mapping - use this option to customize how keys are mapped to your remote

Last edited:

Skywizard

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2015
    Canberra
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    This is just a guess right now, but you're using Windows 10, right?
    Using MP 1.12 in WIN 10

There is no WMC support in Win 10, that could be the explanation for it.
    I don't understand - are you saying that because I can use the iMon IR without the imon drivers that this could be the issue with win 10?
    I don't follow you thinking.

Did you check the MS remote/keyboard in the remote section of the configuration program?
    Yes have done that.
    So it should be MP handling all the IR commands from the remote and is independent of the the operating system..... (if I have it correct).

spachti

Portal Pro
    July 27, 2005
    Bible Belt
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I don't understand - are you saying that because I can use the iMon IR without the imon drivers that this could be the issue with win 10?
    I don't follow you thinking.
    Well, I don't either, that's why I called it a guess:rolleyes:
    But, just to explain my train of thought, if WIN 10 doesn't support WMC at all, there might also be no or just some support for all the ehome stuff which has controlled earlier WMC editions.
    Normally MP will fully support the WMC remotes.
    Anyway, I will not confuse you any longer, maybe somebody else knows more about it.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    If you're using MP 1.12 then the HID handler is actually the recommended handler for MCE-compatible remotes. Having said that, iMon may be a special case. An expert would need to confirm that.

@Stéphane Lenclud Can you please confirm?

In the meantime could you please post your log files so that we have your configuration details and can see what's actually going on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom