MediaInfo.dll now takes a very long time to scan (1 Viewer)

gamejester

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Just re-built a machine to all the latest version.
    Have latest svn's and running version 0.7.6.4 of MediaInfo.dll

For my 3068 shows it took nearly 3 hours to read all the media info
    18:15 start read media info
    20:50 finish read media info

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Not much you can do about that Jester, are your files on a file server or local?

Also try different MediaInfo.dll versions. I have noticed that my x264 encoded library has sped up parsing but my xvid|dvix have slowed down. I only use the newer version because it has better support for matrowski containers which is the majority of my files.

You can get all versions from: SourceForge.net: Files

You want to get the MediaInfo_*_DLL_Win32.zip package and extract the MediaInfo.dll library.

Damien

smithdc

Portal Member
    April 28, 2008
    sorry for a noob question.

Do I place mediainfo.dll in to the mediaportal plugins folder, and what exactly does it do. My TVseries seems to be working just fine at the moment. I must say what an awesome awesome plug-in this is! Great work

Inker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2004
    It goes in the same folder as the plugin dll (plugins/windows) and is responsible for finding/extracting information from the video files themselves (resolution, codec, etc.). If you don't need that then there is no need to install it.

As for why it's slow, well I agree it is, in fact it's by far the slowest part of the entire import process and over networks its even slower (even on a GBit LAN like I have). I find it takes about .3 to .8 s per file, you do the math for 5000 files :)

The thing is it isn't really meant to be used for bulk extraction, but rather to get info about a single file in detail. We can only hope it'll get faster over time (or somebody suggests and alternative or codes one themselves ;-))

gamejester

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2007
    Home Country
    So I have been playing with different version of mediainfo.dll

latest 0.7.6.4 - takes around 11 seconds per file to read mediainfo (that is what I mean by slow!)
    ver 0.7.5.3 - takes around 0.2 seconds per file to read mediainfo

Am running both version on 2 systems now to see if the newer version is able to capture any more info from the files than the old (change log seems to indicate better .mkv support) so will report back.

smithdc

Portal Member
    April 28, 2008
    I have just updated to the latest SVN for media portal and I also find that mediainfo.dll takes ages to read, was taking 1min an episode :eek:.

gamejester

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2007
    Home Country
    So differences between the 2 versions I am testing.

.mkv (obviosuly depends on what is in your container, but here is a sample using commonly sourced files ;-)
    latest can read videoBitrate and AudioBitrate
    latest report audio stream as AC3, old version reports as A-AC3

old one can still read all the import stuff you want reported back to you through the GUI like.
    video size, audio channels, Audio and video codec, aspect ratio, video fram rate, playtime.....

So I think I will stick with version 0.7.5.3 for now.

Who develops mediainfo.dll?
    Is there a forum we can post info back to the dev, maybe they can speed it back up again?

Just found a few things the newer codec gets wrong as well.
    Certain times in xvid HR files (540p size) with AC3 6 channel sound, it reports 2 channel and states the audiocodec as 2000?
    I have also seen it report audio codec as 55 instead of MPA1L3

m0deth

Portal Pro
    December 31, 2006
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    newest version is missing Mediainfo.dll in the .rar package.

language pack and main .dll only

Inker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2004
    newest version is missing Mediainfo.dll in the .rar package.

language pack and main .dll only

Yes, on purpose because it is not strictly required, would blow up the filesize considerably and would always be outdated. It does however include a download link to obtain the latest version.

Only thing missing, I forgot that, and for that I appologize, is an instruction on where to place mediainfo. :sorry:

Hint: Somebody should probably add the info to the wiki installation pages :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom