MediaPortal 1.0.1 not recording or timeshifting (1 Viewer)

goorawin

Portal Pro
August 3, 2007
Home Country
I have installed MP 1.0.1 on XP Pro with all the correct drivers etc as a standalone system but it totally freezes when I record or timeshift. Everything else including TV channels etc seems to work OK.

Although I prefer to use MP as a stand alone system I did try to install it with TV server but it could not see the Divco DVB-T Dual tuner card, strange considering it does in stand along mode!!!!!!
Any thoughts would be appreciated

steveperthau

Portal Member
August 19, 2007
Home Country
me2

yeah, im having the same prob.
when i start MyTV the video image comes through. however once i start timeshift or a record i get no video for at least 3 minutes and mediaportal wont respond to input. Once the video is on screen (i assume from the timeshift file when record is pressed) mediaportal continues not to accept input, even to close. i have to force quit through the task manager and then watchdog comes up. now if i startup again mediaportal tells me its already recording (without me telling it to) and the video image comes on but again accepts no input and have to quit again.

occasionally i have noticed some lag with watchdog coming up and sometimes mediaportal wont quit from the task manager (eventually it will but it can take some time).
i don't believe its my hardware, as last night i installed a fresh install with the TVServer and it connected to sql etc and worked ! with a little help (it was fun getting mysql to work:-( ).
anyway reinstalled frsh mediaportal again so i can use to internal tv plugin (not keen on using sql / having extra guff on my system) and guess what.. back to the same problem again !
in my humble opinion it has something to do with the timeshift function as it comes on whenever i press record anyway. possible streaming issue with the stream buffer sink? i have no idea what im talking about really but i noticed mpeg2 analyzer appears to connect to the streambuffersink when i checkout graphstudio.
no probs with sound.

anyhelp ?
thanks,
steve

goorawin

Portal Pro
August 3, 2007
Home Country
Same problem

Hi Steve
I think MP 1.0.1 can not be used as a stand alone system. May be the plan is to force everyone to use TV server, like it or not, that or they have made two steps forward and one and half backwards with this release.
I tried to re-install TV Server and the same problem no turner card present. (see log)
I was about to donate about $100 for this release but unless these two problems are addressed and solved by someone I'm not so sure, for now anyway. This release is certainly much smoother in operation, so from that point of view its great, lets just hope the problems can be solved.

tompa

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 3, 2005
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    hi, are u trying to run with TV-server or not?

it looks like TV client is installed but not server!??

/tompa

steveperthau

Portal Member
    August 19, 2007
    Home Country
    ok done some checking

ok done some checking, read this one if you get the chance.
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...meshift-doesnt-work-anymore-55533/index3.html

It would appear the developers may not be supporting the inbuilt tv (TVE2) anymore.
    which means we are most likely on our own.

Tonight I installed Version 1.0.0 final (with the TVE2) and it worked for me with no problems.
    I have tried to locate and copy TVE2 files across to v1.0.1 without success.
    I have no idea where to get v1.0.0 from as i cant locate it on the net. fortunately for me i had downloaded it at Christmas with a plan to installing it in the future (lucky i kept it).

At the moment i have gone back to tvserver/singleseat version with the sql. but i have some things i need to work out if i am going to keep it:
    1. is it safe to use..im not a technician and have no idea what the sql server will do to my internet security :-\
    2. it is a memory hog. 180megs for mediaportal, 20megs for sql, 40megs for tvserver...240megs ! seems a lot to me and i would rather not have the extra services running when i don't need them.
    3. is it really going to provide me with any noticable benefits. I tend to record only a small amount of TV (SD) anyway but one benefit might be keeping up with future releases.

i always say keep it simple, but sometimes you just gotta go with the flow of new tech. whats sophisticated today is basic tomorrow. i hope the developers do continue to support TVE2 but i don't think they will.
    As for the setup of sql i found it to be a pain, but i worked it out. you might need to check out some of the guides
    TV-Server/install-MySqlGuiTools - MediaPortal Manual Documentation
    and in the forums
    i had to open "MySQL Server Instance Config Wizard" after installing and change a few settings "enable root access" and the passwords need to be correct i seem to recall the wizard didnt require a password to change the password to "mediaportal". the "TV-Server Configuration" seemed to work after that, mind you i had to restart to get the "tvservice" service to start properly. A firewall port needs to be opened as well, mine asked me for permission.

good luck,
    steve

goorawin

Portal Pro
    August 3, 2007
    Home Country
    Both TV Client and Server were installed, but under TV-Server Configuration no tuner card appears as should be the case. But as a stand alone system the tuner card does appear. Can you please explain that???
    I have spent about a day so far trying to figure it out. I have uninstalling everything related to MP and starting from scratch re-installing each and every component. Must be missing something.
    Interestingly I installed it on a Vista system with the TV server and it work just fine but then I was using a different TV card.
    However I do agree with Steve I would prefer to use MP without the server, it seems so unnecessary and complicated for general multi-media use. Certainly not great to expect the average user to set up and use.
    But seems we are going to have to get used it or go back to MCE.
    Thanks for your input

sleepycol

Portal Pro
    June 2, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Save TVE2!

TVE3 is too complicated, unnecessary and a massive overkill for my TV needs.....

goorawin

Portal Pro
    August 3, 2007
    Home Country
    Found one Problem

It seems changes in the TV3 engine are to blame for one of these problems. After much testing I think the TV server is unable to handle a flaw in the Divico driver.
    The installed Divco card is digital only but it seems the analogy driver has been installed as well.
    MP TV server thinks there is a Hybrid card installed and it cannot handle it.
    But as I have said earlier, as a stand alone system the TV2 engine is fine and can handle that error.

Detecting Cards
    [TVService]: Detected DVB-T card:bluebird, bda tuner1
    [TVService]: Detected DVB-T card:bluebird, bda tuner2
    [TVService]: Detected analog card:bluebird, wdm tvtuner
    [TVService]: Error while reading analog card configuration file

Following this I changed the tuner card to a hybrid MSI that I had. Yes you guessed it, now everything works OK.
    But as I would prefer to use the Dual Divco card hopefully the coming soon release of MP 1.0.2 will address all these issues.

The lesson to developers is no software is perfect, least of all MP, so don't change something that did work.
    Always use the KISS principle......
    KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID and you'll end up with a bigger market with fewer headaches

steveperthau

Portal Member
    August 19, 2007
    Home Country
    good to hear

good to hear you found out what the prob was.
    but i dont understand why you cant just uninstall the analog driver ?
    does the tv server configuration allow you to disable the analog card?
    also, dont you think that MP was trying to do the right thing if there is analog driver installed ?

seems crazy that divco would install an analog driver for a digital only card, have you updated to the latest drivers?
    might pay to do a search on google or to check the divco website for other drivers that might work too.

one last thing, you didnt have any cards installed previously that drivers might still be installed for an analog card?

steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom