[News] - MediaPortal 1.1.0 (ALPHA) and MediaPortal 2 | Page 6

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by infinite.loop, June 4, 2009.

1. infinite.loop
    • Premium Supporter

infinite.loop Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +4,154 / 7
    Home Country:
    Austria Austria
    Show System Specs
    It is always better to plan a release for a later date.
    So in case everything goes well, we will simply release it earlier. Much better than delaying a release constantly. :p

A. Because TVE2 requires constant attention (i.e. for adding more TV-Cards). We do not have time for that.
    B. it is simply outdated technology.
    C. other changes would have required rework of TVE2. We do not have time for that
    D. TVE2 should allready have been removed in 1.0.0
    E. if you like the TVE2 simply stick with 1.0.2
    F. i could add more points but it has allready been removed so why talk about it ;)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Helios61
    • Premium Supporter

Helios61 Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +897 / 4
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    "Windows 7" support?

Hi Devs, hi community!

One short question: Will MediaPortal 1.1.0 (ALPHA) support Win7? (MCE Remote & TVService)

Best regards

Helios

4. infinite.loop
    • Premium Supporter

Ratings:
    +4,154 / 7
    Home Country:
    Austria Austria
    Show System Specs
    With 1.1.0 Alpha we will make the first step to support Windows 7.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Cuitlahac
    • Premium Supporter

Cuitlahac MP Donator

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    Wow, this sounds like a real quantum leap. And as an absolutely non-programmer I can only imagine the lots of work and testing that is connected with this flexibility and modularity. My deepest respect for your work! :D

I'm already impressed what MP 1 made possible and how stable it works here every day. But be assured, as soon as this "Next Generation" MP 2 comes out I'll be there to test its new possibilities and features. You can bet on that! ;)

6. collaborator

collaborator Portal Pro

IT Manager
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Home Country:
    Turkey Turkey
    Hello

I am on 1.0 RC3 and I was planning to upgrade the latest version ( 1.0.2 ) ( I do not use TV Function and no plan to use )
    According to information about 1.1; I will not be able to upgrade to 1.1 from 1.0.2.

Now what would you suggest , wait for 1.1 Alpha relase or go for 1.0.2 ? Will I be able to upgrade 1.1 Gold from 1.0.2 without loosing any config and data ( as I do not use TV )?

Thanks for your answers

7. Gixxer
    • Premium Supporter

Gixxer Retired Team Member

Mechanical Engineer
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0
    Home Country:
    Spain Spain
    if you are not a tester fanatic, then go for 1.0.2. as 1.1alpha will most likely not be stable for everyday use.

i do recomend you 1.0.2 as it has so many fixes over rc3 and is so much faster.

you will not be able to upgrade from 1.0.2 to 1.1 but then again, just go for 1.0.2 and enjoy it, when 1.1final is out just spend some time to config it and thats it. (its not so much trouble)

8. Curry
    • Premium Supporter

Curry MP Donator

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Home Country:
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I am controlling MP 1.0.2 just fine on Win7 RC1 with a Harmony 885 and an original MCE remote - just install the IR Server Suite plugin, it works fine out of the box.

As for MP2, the biggest feature I think is needed is a central 'metadata repository' provided by the MediaPortal layer to its modules and plugins. I have 2 MP installs myself in different rooms, and it's not only impractical but also violates the whole idea behind the 'networked home' that they share no configuration data or anything at all. Ideally one should be able to configure a 'mesh' of MediaPortals, in which all nodes in the same mesh distribute the knowledge of the network automatically, ensuring that each installation has a transactionally correct mastercopy of the metabase.

If set up correctly, this means you can add a new MediaPortal computer to your network and it automatically knows the location, IP and authentication of all media shares, knows all the movies and series and their metadata, shares the same background pictures if the same skin is used on multiple installs etc. etc. Since you would run this 'MediaPortal Information Store' separately from the main system you would be able to backup, restore and distribute configuration separately from the actual installs, meaning 'upgrade mess' will also be a thing of the past.

Essentially what I'm suggesting here is the MediaCenter Extender system but better ;)

9. remb0

remb0 Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I hope mp2 would be very modular so that the users can deside what to load and what not.
    the second thing I hope is that plugins like: multishortcut, audio changer, infoservice etc must become standard.

mp2 must be very easy to install. no thousand plugins, codecs, fixes etc. but out of the box working.
    and with a nice update functions that save time for users to check everday lot's of topics/forums for changes and updates :)

10. infinite.loop
    • Premium Supporter

Ratings:
    +4,154 / 7
    Home Country:
    Austria Austria
    Show System Specs
    If you want to play videos, you still need the required codecs present on your system.
    MediaPortal 2 can not help you with that.

11. landshark
    • Premium Supporter

landshark MP Donator

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Home Country:
    United States of America United States of America
    I didn't read through the whole thread and this might have been answered already.......

in nowaday and future media center environment, I firmly believe a centralized media server/database is the future for media center home. for example, in my house, I have a WHS box that store all of my media, and point 3 HTPC client (running MP of cos) to get the files. everything works fine. however, let's say if there's a new movie that doesn't have any online database or need customized input (e.g. foreign language name/title), I'll need to manually edit all 3 of the HTPC client itself in order to get each of their own database updated!

so, my question is, will MP 2.0 move towards centralization? like a single main MP that act as a server, that all other HTPCs not only grab the files, but also the database from the server. e.g. something like what BeyondTV & BeyondTV Link client do.

tks again for all the hard work!!!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!