[News] MediaPortal 1.1.0 (ALPHA) and MediaPortal 2 (1 Viewer)

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Yes, MP-II will consist of two different application parts: A client application with all on-the-fly media navigation and watching functions (Music, Videos, Pictures, TV, Radio, Web-TV, Web-Radio, etc.) but no own recording and database functionality, and a server application which contains basically the media library and the recording function.

In a SingleSeat installation, both applications run at the same PC, i.e. all the functionality is present at this PC. In a MultiSeat installation scenario, there will be one MP-II server and an arbitrary number of MP-II clients, which connect to the server. A connected client is able to search through the media library and to schedule and watch recordings.

Cheers,
    Albert

As many other people I've been waiting for this feature aswell so thank you. :)

But you should remember to not only have a multi-client system but a multi-user system aswell. Mostly important to keep separate "watched-tags", but if you want to expand it you could also save settings (skin, filters, plugins etc) for each user.

If you only have a multi-client system without separate users the watched tags are pretty much useless, and it'll be hard to keep track on what you have watched an not especially when it comes to TV-series. I think they are working on something similar for Meedios, so perhaps you could work with them on the best solutions. Not nessecarily using the same technologies, but sort of a think-tank for good solutions.
    Users and permission system has been thought about.
    notice i said "thought", not created. ;)

just to cheer you up a little bit. we are very well are of the shortcomings in MediaPortal 1 and the most wanted features.
    this was the base when we started to think about MP2. ;)

demomanTNA

Portal Member
    August 8, 2007
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Thank you everyone for all the hard work on MP. I really like the hints of what MP2 will offer. Hopefully MP 1.1.0 Alpha will be here soon. Just keeps getting better and better.

bermag

Portal Pro
    August 21, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    In a local network, a new MP-II client will automatically find the server and suggest to connect to it. After the connection is established, it will be able to access the shares from the server and also the local shares from all the other clients. So at least in that area, the client doesn't need any configuration to access other system parts. For other configuration parts, we'll see what can be centralized and which parts must remain local.

Will the server stream media to the client or just make the file(s) available to the client using filesharing or something?

DjeC64

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2007
    Gent
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    SQL Server Compact 3.5?

Hi,

Just few suggestions:
    1 - Would not it be better to use MSSQL2008 compact version instead of full Express server?
    Smaller memory footprint and redistributable only 2MB.

2 - Could you integrate a workaround/fix into Mediaportal to resolve the bug of the ehome driver which requires to set the keyboard on US as default in order to use the number pad of the remote to change channels?

That's it.

Albert

MP2 Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 18, 2008
    Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Will the server stream media to the client or just make the file(s) available to the client using filesharing or something?

We will use a file-based protocol to distribute the media files to and from the clients. But the details aren't fixed yet.

But off course, if streaming is needed, it shouldn't be too much work to write a streaming plugin for the server.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Hi,

Just few suggestions:
    1 - Would not it be better to use MSSQL2008 compact version instead of full Express server?
    Smaller memory footprint and redistributable only 2MB.
    compact edition has some drawbacks.
    feel free to use MySQL if you want less system resources used. :)

2 - Could you integrate a workaround/fix into Mediaportal to resolve the bug of the ehome driver which requires to set the keyboard on US as default in order to use the number pad of the remote to change channels?
    i am not aware of such an issue.

DjeC64

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2007
    Gent
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Sorry I have found reference to this problem since 2008. Unfortunately I cannot put my finger where I did find this workaround.
    Maybe the behavior of "Select Channel by Index" does not work. Actually it should be properly labeled "Select Channels by their group ranks"
    I usually use the numerics keys of the remote to access the channels in the ranking that they show on EPG: 1,2,3,4,5... I do not use the ChannelID like could be 212,450,...

mironicus

Portal Pro
    March 9, 2008
    It's weekend. I have time now. Please let me test it. :D

H264-bug was fixed today? Will FFDShow still be blacklisted as decoder for TV?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom