[News] - MediaPortal 1.1.0 (ALPHA) and MediaPortal 2 | Page 7

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by infinite.loop, June 4, 2009.

1. yhoogi
    • Premium Supporter

yhoogi MP Donator

Ratings:
    +49 / 1
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    May I ask if there are plans to include the WHS as supported platform for the TV server?

Cheers

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. tourettes
    • Premium Supporter

tourettes Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +4,810 / 3
    Not unless Microsoft will support BDA and directshow "officially" on that platform (i.e. provides all fixes that are provided for XP).

4. Albert
    • Premium Supporter

Albert MP2 Developer

Dipl.-Inform.
    Ratings:
    +1,130 / 1
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Yes, MP-II will consist of two different application parts: A client application with all on-the-fly media navigation and watching functions (Music, Videos, Pictures, TV, Radio, Web-TV, Web-Radio, etc.) but no own recording and database functionality, and a server application which contains basically the media library and the recording function.

In a SingleSeat installation, both applications run at the same PC, i.e. all the functionality is present at this PC. In a MultiSeat installation scenario, there will be one MP-II server and an arbitrary number of MP-II clients, which connect to the server. A connected client is able to search through the media library and to schedule and watch recordings.

Cheers,
    Albert

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gixxer
    • Premium Supporter

Gixxer Retired Team Member

Mechanical Engineer
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0
    Home Country:
    Spain Spain
    and let me say that sound so good!!

the correct way of doing it without doubt!!

centralized media, databases, configurations, users, thumbs, tvfunctions is so promissing.

great job Albert!!

6. Curry
    • Premium Supporter

Curry MP Donator

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Home Country:
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Did you read my post advising a meshbased approach rather than a client-server setup? The big advantage of the mesh approach would be that there is no dependency on a central master server which could be rebooting, crashed or simply shut off for energy consumption reasons. Also a strong metabase containing storage for all modules and plugins would simplify extending the home network, since a clean MP install would immediately know about all upgrades and configuration for the whole network - in a server/client approach most plugins would still store less important data locally leading to confusing differences between 'rooms'.

7. landshark
    • Premium Supporter

landshark MP Donator

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Home Country:
    United States of America United States of America
    prefect!! that's just what I'm hoping/looking for!! as I could foresee in my future house, there's not only a client in the living room, in bedroom, in the dedicated home theater (which is what I'm having), but also, a client in the kitchen, in the basement, even in the garage!! and manually individually config/custom update each of them will surely be a major PITA!!

many many tks again for the hard work and I've already looking forward to 2010 x'mas!! ;)

8. FlipGer
    • Premium Supporter

FlipGer Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +115 / 0
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    Hi,

Workaround for MP1:
    UserGuides/CentralisedDatabases - MediaPortal Manual Documentation

HTH,
    Flip.

9. Albert
    • Premium Supporter

Albert MP2 Developer

Dipl.-Inform.
    Ratings:
    +1,130 / 1
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    In a local network, a new MP-II client will automatically find the server and suggest to connect to it. After the connection is established, it will be able to access the shares from the server and also the local shares from all the other clients. So at least in that area, the client doesn't need any configuration to access other system parts. For other configuration parts, we'll see what can be centralized and which parts must remain local.

But I don't want to reveal too much about MP-II at this point... It should remain suspenseful :)

10. 2BitSculptor
    • Team MediaPortal

2BitSculptor Super Moderator

Sculptor - Maquettes, Resin Figure Model Kits, Toy
    Ratings:
    +399 / 0
    Home Country:
    United States of America United States of America
    Show System Specs
    I think I know what that means..... ;)

:D

11. zicoz
    • Premium Supporter

zicoz MP Donator

Ratings:
    +60 / 0
    Home Country:
    Norway Norway
    Show System Specs
    As many other people I've been waiting for this feature aswell so thank you. :)

But you should remember to not only have a multi-client system but a multi-user system aswell. Mostly important to keep separate "watched-tags", but if you want to expand it you could also save settings (skin, filters, plugins etc) for each user.

If you only have a multi-client system without separate users the watched tags are pretty much useless, and it'll be hard to keep track on what you have watched an not especially when it comes to TV-series. I think they are working on something similar for Meedios, so perhaps you could work with them on the best solutions. Not nessecarily using the same technologies, but sort of a think-tank for good solutions.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!