[News] MediaPortal 1.1.0 (ALPHA) and MediaPortal 2 (1 Viewer)

yhoogi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 9, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    May I ask if there are plans to include the WHS as supported platform for the TV server?

Cheers

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    May I ask if there are plans to include the WHS as supported platform for the TV server?

Not unless Microsoft will support BDA and directshow "officially" on that platform (i.e. provides all fixes that are provided for XP).

Albert

MP2 Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 18, 2008
    Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I didn't read through the whole thread and this might have been answered already.......

in nowaday and future media center environment, I firmly believe a centralized media server/database is the future for media center home. for example, in my house, I have a WHS box that store all of my media, and point 3 HTPC client (running MP of cos) to get the files. everything works fine. however, let's say if there's a new movie that doesn't have any online database or need customized input (e.g. foreign language name/title), I'll need to manually edit all 3 of the HTPC client itself in order to get each of their own database updated!

so, my question is, will MP 2.0 move towards centralization? like a single main MP that act as a server, that all other HTPCs not only grab the files, but also the database from the server. e.g. something like what BeyondTV & BeyondTV Link client do.

tks again for all the hard work!!!

Yes, MP-II will consist of two different application parts: A client application with all on-the-fly media navigation and watching functions (Music, Videos, Pictures, TV, Radio, Web-TV, Web-Radio, etc.) but no own recording and database functionality, and a server application which contains basically the media library and the recording function.

In a SingleSeat installation, both applications run at the same PC, i.e. all the functionality is present at this PC. In a MultiSeat installation scenario, there will be one MP-II server and an arbitrary number of MP-II clients, which connect to the server. A connected client is able to search through the media library and to schedule and watch recordings.

Cheers,
    Albert

Gixxer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 18, 2007
    Spain
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    I didn't read through the whole thread and this might have been answered already.......

in nowaday and future media center environment, I firmly believe a centralized media server/database is the future for media center home. for example, in my house, I have a WHS box that store all of my media, and point 3 HTPC client (running MP of cos) to get the files. everything works fine. however, let's say if there's a new movie that doesn't have any online database or need customized input (e.g. foreign language name/title), I'll need to manually edit all 3 of the HTPC client itself in order to get each of their own database updated!

so, my question is, will MP 2.0 move towards centralization? like a single main MP that act as a server, that all other HTPCs not only grab the files, but also the database from the server. e.g. something like what BeyondTV & BeyondTV Link client do.

Yes, MP-II will consist of two different application parts: A client application with all on-the-fly media navigation and watching functions (Music, Videos, Pictures, TV, Radio, Web-TV, Web-Radio, etc.) but no own recording and database functionality, and a server application which contains basically the media library and the recording function.

In a SingleSeat installation, both applications run at the same PC, i.e. all the functionality is present at this PC. In a MultiSeat installation scenario, there will be one MP-II server and an arbitrary number of MP-II clients, which connect to the server. A connected client is able to search through the media library and to schedule and watch recordings.

Cheers,
    Albert

and let me say that sound so good!!

the correct way of doing it without doubt!!

centralized media, databases, configurations, users, thumbs, tvfunctions is so promissing.

great job Albert!!

Curry

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 4, 2009
    Eindhoven
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

Did you read my post advising a meshbased approach rather than a client-server setup? The big advantage of the mesh approach would be that there is no dependency on a central master server which could be rebooting, crashed or simply shut off for energy consumption reasons. Also a strong metabase containing storage for all modules and plugins would simplify extending the home network, since a clean MP install would immediately know about all upgrades and configuration for the whole network - in a server/client approach most plugins would still store less important data locally leading to confusing differences between 'rooms'.

landshark

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 23, 2008
    Silver Spring, MD
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America

Cheers,
    Albert

prefect!! that's just what I'm hoping/looking for!! as I could foresee in my future house, there's not only a client in the living room, in bedroom, in the dedicated home theater (which is what I'm having), but also, a client in the kitchen, in the basement, even in the garage!! and manually individually config/custom update each of them will surely be a major PITA!!

many many tks again for the hard work and I've already looking forward to 2010 x'mas!! ;)

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

I have a WHS box that store all of my media, and point 3 HTPC client (running MP of cos) to get the files. everything works fine. however, let's say if there's a new movie that doesn't have any online database or need customized input (e.g. foreign language name/title), I'll need to manually edit all 3 of the HTPC client itself in order to get each of their own database updated!

Workaround for MP1:
    UserGuides/CentralisedDatabases - MediaPortal Manual Documentation

HTH,
    Flip.

Albert

MP2 Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 18, 2008
    Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Did you read my post advising a meshbased approach rather than a client-server setup? The big advantage of the mesh approach would be that there is no dependency on a central master server which could be rebooting, crashed or simply shut off for energy consumption reasons. Also a strong metabase containing storage for all modules and plugins would simplify extending the home network, since a clean MP install would immediately know about all upgrades and configuration for the whole network - in a server/client approach most plugins would still store less important data locally leading to confusing differences between 'rooms'.

In a local network, a new MP-II client will automatically find the server and suggest to connect to it. After the connection is established, it will be able to access the shares from the server and also the local shares from all the other clients. So at least in that area, the client doesn't need any configuration to access other system parts. For other configuration parts, we'll see what can be centralized and which parts must remain local.

But I don't want to reveal too much about MP-II at this point... It should remain suspenseful :)

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway

Cheers,
    Albert

As many other people I've been waiting for this feature aswell so thank you. :)

But you should remember to not only have a multi-client system but a multi-user system aswell. Mostly important to keep separate "watched-tags", but if you want to expand it you could also save settings (skin, filters, plugins etc) for each user.

If you only have a multi-client system without separate users the watched tags are pretty much useless, and it'll be hard to keep track on what you have watched an not especially when it comes to TV-series. I think they are working on something similar for Meedios, so perhaps you could work with them on the best solutions. Not nessecarily using the same technologies, but sort of a think-tank for good solutions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom