[News] MediaPortal 1.1.0 RC1 - delayed (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

polarie

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 20, 2006
    Hasloh (near Hamburg)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: MediaPortal 1.1.0 RC1 - delayed

so i start my Flux-Compensator with it 1.21 Giga-Watt and jump to the weekend ...

looking forward to it ...
    and i will test it -
    hope to change my hole system @ home soon ...

good job - BIG :D

dir

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    Rather than be another "me too" regarding "hurry up and give me a new toy!", I thought I'd just say this:

€50.00 EUR Ref. 6RN390778M802654T.

Thanks, guys. Love your work.

chribe

Portal Member
    December 2, 2009
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Re: MediaPortal 1.1.0 RC1 - delayed. Better late than never!

Yeah, i can't wait 'till weekend! Isch dees geil!

How long does it usually take between RC and Stable? Hopefully no RC2 will be needed, i'm like a child who's waiting to enter the living room at christmas...

I believe this new Version will be the most stable MediaPortal ever. You devs do a good job! :D

Christian

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria

How long does it usually take between RC and Stable? Hopefully no RC2 will be needed, i'm like a child who's waiting to enter the living room at christmas...
    Depends on the issues found in RC1. Currently i do expect that an RC2 is required.

But, RC1 will allready be a lot more stable than 1.0.2.

Dr Tone

Portal Pro
    October 29, 2008
    Calgary, AB
    Home Country
    Canada Canada

Depends on the issues found in RC1. Currently i do expect that an RC2 is required.

For me, the last SVN hasn't been any where near as stable as 1.0.2. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing another SVN before you release RC1.

:(

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria

For me, the last SVN hasn't been any where near as stable as 1.0.2. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing another SVN before you release RC1.

:(
    Currently we have way too many binarys floating around in forums and mixed up installations.

To find out what is really going on, we need a clean slate (Clean 1.1.0 RC1 installations for testing and bugreporting).

NLS

Portal Pro
    April 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    I understand the need for clean setups (I try to do this in any given software when I can), but this policy that goes for years in MP that you need to scratch everything and start over is tiresome.

Parallel to people having WM phones just to try custom ROMs (so they rarely install more than 10 extra apps), this is easy for people that like to "play" with MP.

But for people that need to setup a serious system and do not want to start from scratch (or almost scratch) every time, this is not good. Yes some of the sensitive devs could (and expect) to answer "so don't upgrade", but "being smart" aside MP needs a stable and complete migration path between versions. Some export-import functionality, even without the user knowing (while upgrading).

Maybe after the nice new MPEI feature planned to include to RC1, a migration subsystem is something to consider.

After all if this whole thing called MP among other things is to rise WAF, certainly "half a day to put things together again after an upgrade" takes it way back down.

Best case scenario? An upgrade should just be a button in MP's own interface (somewhere in the setup of course), with even the system notifying the user itself automatically.

Just my opinion.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I understand the need for clean setups (I try to do this in any given software when I can), but this policy that goes for years in MP that you need to scratch everything and start over is tiresome.
    Noone forces you to test Alpha's, Beta's or RC's.

So if you stick with installing only the stable releases (what you should do if you use MP on a productive system), then this means to do a clean installation every 12 to 14 months.
    During that timeframe you useually even reinstall Windows. :D

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom