[News] MediaPortal 1.1.0 RC1 - delayed (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NLS

Portal Pro
April 26, 2006
Home Country
Greece Greece
Already said that, didn't I?

Even then, the main point remains: Going from 1.0 to 1.0X to 1.1, involves removal-reinstall (and setup again). Well... it shouldn't.

I am sure at least some people see what I mean.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Already said that, didn't I?

Even then, the main point remains: Going from 1.0 to 1.0X to 1.1, involves removal-reinstall (and setup again). Well... it shouldn't.

Of course we could write a migration tool (included in installer). But it would require quite much work to make sure it would be able to transfer all the settings (not compatible in some cases between versions), user date (the DB structures might change) and 3rd party plugins (plugins itself aren't compatible directly with different MP version). It would be already much easier to handle if no 3rd party stuff would be supported by MP at all...

It would be huge workload on team. When you are doing a clean install, your few extra hours is nothing compared to the thousands of hours it would require to be able to support then infrastructure needed. Those hours are better spend in fixing bugs in MP itself.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Even then, the main point remains: Going from 1.0 to 1.0X to 1.1, involves removal-reinstall (and setup again).
    Wrong.
    Going from 1.0.0 to 1.0.2 does not require a reinstallation.
    Since this was just a maintainance release, your 1.0.0 installation was _updated_.

1.1.0 includes so many major changes, that a clean installation is the only way to ensure that your installation is okay.
    Sure, a update of MediaPortal 1.0.x to 1.1.0 would be technically possible (keep in mind that all your communityskins and plugins are outdated and not working then - so manual update of these required). But you as tourette allready said, you seem to totally underestimate the amount of work it requires to create such a procedure and to ensure that it works without issues.

Bottom line is that if you have to be on the cutting edge (svn builds/alphas/betas/rcs) you simply have to spend more efforts and time on your installations.
    For stable release installations, i find it fair to ask for a reinstall every 12 - 14 months.
    But we could ofc create an update procedure for such big stable releases - might cause 3 - 6months of addtional coding and testing.
    Question is - is that worth it?

pxm49wh

Portal Member
    February 27, 2009
    When a clean install of MediaPortal is performed, it's implied that all external content (e.g. movie descriptions, pictures, etc) has to be downloaded again, right?

I can live with having to rescan my local content folders, but I would rather not set up a webcache server just for MediaPortal. It would be much less of a hurdle if such external content was cached locally, and a new install would check there first for something that it can use. It would also significantly speed up the process, since currently getting IMDB-data is heinously slow.

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Can the 1.0.2 database files still be used for 1.1? If you back up your database and thumbs directory and export/import tv server config, setting up a new version goes rather quickly.

Cybionstar

Portal Member
    July 10, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    at first i was like...ok well it does take some time till all is set.

but now i'm like...wtf whats the problem???? if it does take so long why did u announce it a lifetime ago....next time plz announce it 2 weeks earlier and not a lifetime...

disaster123

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: MediaPortal 1.1.0 RC1 - delayed

Cybionstar
    if you've so many thinks to critisize why do you not help to make MP better? Anybody can do something and this is completely driven by people in their free time - so why do you not help? Or even if you really can't do anything then donate something?

Cybionstar

Portal Member
    July 10, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    disaster123

you are absolutely right...but thats not what this is about...the guys really make an awesome job...no doubt.
    I am one of the takers here...i'm not proud of it... but everybody does spend his time in different ways.

but announcing the update so early is just bad management.....sure there's a lot to fixes to be done...but that has to be recognized before announcing an update...

don't get me wrong..

ps i have nothing to criticize about exept the timeperiode

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom