[News] MediaPortal 2.0 Alpha - RELEASED (2 Viewers)

RicoHTPC

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 4, 2011
    Cuxhaven
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    At a time where windows 8 is waiting in the wings what's the point in supporting an os which is
    quite some years old let alone that Vista has really not the best reputation...

Vimes

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2009
    Earth, for now
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    To have MP 2.x only supporting Windows 7 (not sure about 8) would then mean supporting and maintaining two versions, at least for the short / mid term. I am not sure of the demands that might bring on the team or developers, but it doesn't seem ideal. For some people it might make MP 2.x impossible to use as not everyone has the desire or cash to buy a copy of an operating system to replace their own functioning XP or Vista. Remember these are simply HTPC's and cutting edge OS's and hardware is not needed to get more than adequate performance.
    Also there is a movement to get a version of XBMC (Raspbmc) running on a Raspberry Pi - now that would indeed be impressive.!

But I do note in the detail about MP 2....

MP2 can only be installed on the Windows 7 OSes. XP and Vista are not supported at this time.

So, unless that position has changed, I'm not sure if Vista or XP might well be able to run the MP 2, in some way, in the future..?

RicoHTPC

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 4, 2011
    Cuxhaven
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Vimes

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2009
    Earth, for now
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Also there is a movement to get a version of XBMC (Raspbmc) running on a Raspberry Pi - now that would indeed be impressive.!

Having a look at the raspberry pi is really impressive as you can see here: http://openelec.tv/news/item/235-openelec-on-raspberry-pi-our-first-arm-device-supported

But I'm afraid that for a number of reasons mp will never run on a linux basis....

Seeing that running on such a spec of a matchbox is impressive indeed :)

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I'm not more enlightened than anyone else regarding MP2 plans, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for pre-win7 support....

MrEMan

Portal Member
    February 3, 2007
    Home Country
    Awesome news :cool: Such a shame i'll be a way until the weekend and wont be able to try it til then.

It has taken a while to come from MediaPortal II - Technology preview Codename: Infinity (Released 17th December 2007) to MediaPortal 2.0 Alpha (02 April 2012). I dont believe Infinity had the OS limitation :sneaky:

Regards

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Well, I'm not sure I would say that the two have much in common....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom