MediaPortal 2 Alpha 1 Winter Release! (2 Viewers)

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Multiple monitors are now supported correctly, MP2-Client can also run fullscreen on secondary screen

Does this mean that video will play properly even when MP2 doesn't have focus. I'm currently using MP 1.3 with the dshowhelper from here and the TSReader from here and I still find that if MP doesn't have focus the video (TV at least) goes very jerky until I click on the MP screen with my mouse. I did have Eventghost setup to give MP focus when certain remote buttons were clicked as well but I broke my remote so I'm not using that at the moment.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    When a video is running, the render thread is synchronized to video, which means it plays without problems.

Reducing render rate only happens if MP2 is not playing video and it loses focus.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Reducing render rate only happens if MP2 is not playing video and it loses focus.

This is something we have received bad feedback on MP1 side. Multi-monitor etc. users are using MP1's GUI on non-focused state and lowering the rendering fps in such cases is not ok for them. This should be a configurable or even removed completely and replaced with some plugin API that allows the plugins who require all possible GPU power to be available (external Blu-ray players, games etc.) to disable the GUI rendering completely.

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    This is something we have received bad feedback on MP1 side. Multi-monitor etc. users are using MP1's GUI on non-focused state and lowering the rendering fps in such cases is not ok for them. This should be a configurable or even removed completely and replaced with some plugin API that allows the plugins who require all possible GPU power to be available (external Blu-ray players, games etc.) to disable the GUI rendering completely.

I don't really understand this (although I have just got up!) OK, I've found that MP1 doesn't get focus by the GUI being used with my remote (which is why I had to setup EventGhost to give it focus when certain keys are pressed) or with ampDroid but wouldn't a better solution be to make MP take focus automatically whenever it receives input? The other use I can think of is touchscreens but I'd have thought using those with MP's GUI would already give it focus, similar to how clicking on the MP screen with my mouse does (and if it doesn't, that could be done by the same fix as for remotes, etc).

If MP2 doesn't reduce render rate when it loses focus, i.e. when the user activates programs on their desk monitor, perhaps MP2 could cause slow-down in the programs they're using, such as Flash Video in a browser or other video/graphic-related programs, requiring them to kill MP and re-start it after they've finished, which isn't good.

Having said that, I guess it would be good if the GUI rendering could be disabled completely whenever MP is minimised, which could then be done automatically when launching external players, games, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom