MediaPortal 2 for Linux - Another try on that case (1 Viewer)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Instead, the client has no real hard OS specific depencies, and could be used on cheap devices - with OS othe rthan windows (Linux, OSX, Android, IOS).

Directshow, DirectX... not available on other OSes than MS ones. Not easy to replace (althou nothing is impossible :)).

My first approach would be an OpenGL Skinengine and Player for Windows. If we can do that with a good interface, it would also be possible for Windows users to choose between DirectX and OpenGL (maybe some performance differences on specific hardware).

If this is done, there is no "deal-breaking" dependency left (correct me if I'm wrong).

Directshow requires replacement as well. DirectX to OpenGL is "easy" in that sense that they are quite similar on concept level, so porting is possible. For Directshow there is no easy solution.

Last edited:

joxen

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 14, 2008
    stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    how hard woud it be to port MpTvclient to linux ?

maby a good starting point dont think it is using directshow or directx.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

Hmmm, I would have thought it would be using both DirectShow and DirectX. It has to decode and display/play the video and audio somehow! ;)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005

Hmmm, I would have thought it would be using both DirectShow and DirectX. It has to decode and display/play the video and audio somehow! ;)

It might be using VLC for the decoding and rendering duties - in case I remember correctly.

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Tourettes is right ;) the client itself just shows the epg in a list and some connection details, so a pretty simple app

riggnix

Portal Pro
    September 8, 2009
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Directshow requires replacement as well. DirectX to OpenGL is "easy" in that sense that they are quite similar on concept level, so porting is possible. For Directshow there is no easy solution.

That's bad news...
    I guess gStreamer would be a possibility, but appearently things like WMV won't work without DirectShow.

I don't think that would be worth the effort.
    The point of my idea was to have a MP Client for Linux, which is similar to control as the Windows one. If it would be just another tool, i would rather use WebMP.
    I haven't looked at MpTvClient yet, but the UI is nothing like TitanSkin i guess, am I right?

I'm afraid DirectShow might be a deal breaker. I'm not giving up yet though ;)
    An OpenGL SkinEngine would be a big step towards multi-platform. If we manage to get this working, maybe we can use it to control a VLC stream instead DirectShow.

Even if we can't get rid of DirectShow, OpenGL for Windows would be nice too. More choice is always better :)

edit: Looks like gStreamer actually works nice with WMV, had some pretty old info there. So this may be a way to go...

Last edited:

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Even if we can't get rid of DirectShow, OpenGL for Windows would be nice too. More choice is always better :)

OpenGL + HW video decoding is something that requires probably some extra tricks, so just having OpenGL as a possibility might not give any benefits at all (as long as there is no cross platform MP version).

VLC uses DirectX + DXVA 2.0 on Windows as far as I remember.

riggnix

Portal Pro
    September 8, 2009
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    As I understand there is a DirectShow plugin for gStreamer (Windows only). So we could try porting MP2 to gStreamer using the DirectShow plugin. If we can do that (assuming gStreamer offers the funcionality we need, this won't be easy i guess) we wouldn't be dependent on DirectShow.

So my "solution" to the mentioned problems would be making a SkinEngine based on OpenGL and switching from DirectShow to gStreamer.
    Any thoughts?

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    MP2 is completly Plugin based, so there is no need to entirely "replace" the DirectShow functionality. We just need to use different Plugins on Windows than on Linux. Meaning: on Windows DirectX+DirectShow and on Linux OpenGL+gStreamer(or ffmpeg or...)

As previously mentioned: First step is to create an OpenGL renderer for the UI. This one is then complementary to the current DirectX renderer. This is already a huge task ;)

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    if we had dlna upnp you could browse music series movies live tv TV recordings without having to develop a client. you could even schedule tv recordings through the use of virtual media.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom