MediaPortal 2 for Linux - Another try on that case (1 Viewer)

riggnix

Portal Pro
September 8, 2009
Home Country
Austria Austria
if we had dlna upnp you could browse music series movies live tv TV recordings without having to develop a client. you could even schedule tv recordings through the use of virtual media.

But I want a client. That's the point. I want to be able to use MP in the same way as on my Windows clients.
Otherwise I could just use WebMP Extended.

velis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 16, 2009
    Radovljica
    Home Country
    Slovenia Slovenia
    If I may chime in, there's more interest for this than seems on first sight. IMO it's MP's TV server that is its strongest card and should be ported first. I do recognise @offbyone 's comment about it containing the most OS-specific code though.

Anyway, I'm attempting to make it work on linux (I'd like my TV server to run on a separate server, such as mentioned here). In my case, it would help if it was only so far adapted to actually install & run under wine. That's way less complex than running it in a separate Windows VM, not to mention VM requires a Windows license.

If I'm successful, I'll post my findings, but so far I'm not exactly holding my breath: even the installer fails, seemingly while checking .NET environment. I'm now trying to make it work by copying over a deployed Windows install. Maybe that might work.

In the mean time, I'm rooting for you guys: MP is just too good to only run on Windows. It has been the only serving of multimedia in my family for more than 7 years now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom