[Blog] MediaPortal 2 progress report (2 Viewers)

Albert

MP2 Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 18, 2008
    Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: MediaPortal 2 progress report

About MP2 and UPnP:

Today it seems that UPnP supports only a limited amount of media types, and one needs a transcoder for the non-supported stuff, is this correct? Or is it only the playback ability on the UPnP client that is the limitation?

You're talking about UPnP/AV, which defines only basic media types. I don't know UPnP/AV very well since I didn't implement it yet. MediaPortal 2 only uses the underlaying UPnP protocol with our own communication device types.
    But in general, UPnP is very flexible and I haven't read any UPnP specification which really restricts implementors; typically, those specifications contain a must-have universal set which can be extended by arbitrary elements.

We'll implement the UPnP/AV specification based on our UPnP library later to make MP2 UPnP/AV compliant, or even DLNA.

Mike Lowrey

Portal Pro
    February 4, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    As far as i know UPnP/AV describes media types but the server implementation isn't bound to these types which means a server can ask a client which media types it supports and then transcodes media files to fit to the clients requirements.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I know this blog post but where's the connection? :)
    Basically explains UPnP and DNLA. And why it isn't the perfect solution as many might think. Or marketing wants us to belief. :)

If our MP2 MediaServer will support realtime-(re)encoding in the future, we do not know.

Mike Lowrey

Portal Pro
    February 4, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Ah okay, i thought it may has a further context to my text ;)

I'm quite sure if the plugin infrastructure of MP2 is as good as it's described till now it will not need much time till the first transcode implementations are available :)

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Re: AW: Re: MediaPortal 2 progress report

About MP2 and UPnP:

Today it seems that UPnP supports only a limited amount of media types, and one needs a transcoder for the non-supported stuff, is this correct? Or is it only the playback ability on the UPnP client that is the limitation?

You're talking about UPnP/AV, which defines only basic media types. I don't know UPnP/AV very well since I didn't implement it yet. MediaPortal 2 only uses the underlaying UPnP protocol with our own communication device types.
    But in general, UPnP is very flexible and I haven't read any UPnP specification which really restricts implementors; typically, those specifications contain a must-have universal set which can be extended by arbitrary elements.

We'll implement the UPnP/AV specification based on our UPnP library later to make MP2 UPnP/AV compliant, or even DLNA.

Ok thank you. I was just playing around with the Play To function in Windows 7 to my Xbox, and the only files I had that worked were the Windows 7 sample files, so I got a bit worried, not even WMA lossless files seemed to work.

Reading infinite.loops link I think I understand it a bit more. So the later implementation of UPnP/AV will need some sort of transcoder for playback of all mediatypes then I guess.

A bit more off topic: Anyone know if Apples AirPlay is simply their implementation of UPnP to support their Itunes content with its DRM correct?

Troy

Portal Pro
    October 25, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Re: AW: Re: MediaPortal 2 progress report

A bit more off topic: Anyone know if Apples AirPlay is simply their implementation of UPnP to support their Itunes content with its DRM correct?

I don't think that AirPlay is related to UPnP: AirPlay (wikipedia)

The article mentions that a there are free implementations for Linux. Maybe a plugin for MP2 is possible... ;)

edit:
    It seems that there is something for windows: http://axstream.codeplex.com/. Its based on http://nanocr.eu/software/justeport/. Both are C# and BSD Licence or GPL.

nothe

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: MediaPortal 2 progress report

Any news of MP2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom