MediaPortal and Freenet (DVB-T2 + HEVC/h.265 + CI+ in Germany) (1 Viewer)

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @mm1352000 Many thanks for that info. and yes a boycott of the non free part is certainly on for me (no way I would go to a top set box:eek: which would be my only option anyway). If enough people also decide it ain't worth it those private channels will see their audiences decline and with them the advertising revenues. Who knows we could see them back on free in the future. ;)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Here in NZ we also have a provider ("Igloo") broadcasting 13 non-free channels using one DVB-T2 transmitter. They started in December 2011 using Irdeto cloaked CA (no CAM, no smart-card => their channels can't be received directly with a PC). Their STB has 1 tuner and no ability to record (!!!). As a result, the service has been widely criticised and avoided, and I'm very happy to say that their service is shutting down in March 2017. Maybe the same will happen in Germany...

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Maybe the same will happen in Germany...
    Definitely not as DVB-T is officially shutting down end of March 2017. Free TV (the national broadcasting stations, ca. 20 channels) will remain free also on DVB-T2 but private channels will be encrypted and require a subscription similar to HD+.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Well hopefully the service won't shut down, it is the national and only OTA provider but no problem about seeing the associated pay channel service go. Regarding DRM does anyone know (existing HD cable subsciber maybe) if RTL, Sat 1 Pro 7 etc. do actually copy protect any of their output? I could maybe understand if primium channels like Sky Movies/Sport etc. applied copy restrictions but most of the others are so riddled through with advertising and the movies so old I doubt it is worth copying anyway.

pünktchen

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks for your insights mm1352000 It's always a pleasure to discuss something with you.

However I've read reports here on our forum that say certain CI+ CAMs can work with PC tuner CI slots as long as the provider doesn't require pairing.
    I think you are wrong here. At least here in Germany there's no way to use an official CI+ CAM with a PC tuner. The people are using alternative CI CAMs like Deltacam that are flashed with an illegal firmware. Illegal because the CAM software developers don't pay the licensing costs.

With respect, I hope you will be wrong. It would be sad if the only legitimate ways that we could watch premium content were fully controlled by content providers and distributors. Choice of hardware and/or software would be great.
    I'm hoping i am wrong with my statement, but i don't believe so.
    Instead of reducing encryption or copy protection, for example SKY even introduced pairing here. So instead of making it more user friendly, it even gets worse.
    I'm only hoping that the alternative CAM engineers find a way to use the new Freenet DVB-T2 smardcards in their CAMs.

Edit: propably this will also never happen, because Freenet TV has no smardcards. It's integrated in their CAMs.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @mm1352000 Any comment on the above as I note you have been active in the thread indicated. Any idea what the difference is between the Swedish Boxer channels and the German Freenet channels?

te3hpurp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 23, 2008
    Rovaniemi
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Yes. However I've read reports here on our forum that say certain CI+ CAMs can work with PC tuner CI slots as long as the provider doesn't require pairing.

Well in Finalnd there is a CAM that can be used, But I would not call it CI+ cam as the interface towards tuner card is old CIv1, but it also has internal pairing chipset, which means that you can make chipset pairing between subscrition conax card and cam. Cam is not paired with tuner card, or any other device where cam is used. Cable company offered this Cam because there was old tv and STB hardware still in use in Finland quite a lot.

Of course there is drawback. You cant buy that special Cam anywhere, you can only rent it from the Cable company.
    I've used that special cam few years now nad it is working very well indeed. I've used it with old twinhan cp400, and now with TBS tuner. I also tested it with brand new tv, which had CI+ interface.

So maybe service providers in other parts of the world ha simila arragements for old hw(allthough they are rare now)

Br,

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom