MediaPortal Audio renderer - better video playback quality (4 Viewers)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Marantz receiver which has of course much better decoders inside. All audio have to go throuhg the SPDIF

Why says so? Even thou it is off topic - there is not much difference about the software based decoders and the HW ones. If at all. Before making assumptions about the audio quality please do some blind listening tests :)

so I am afraid I cant use this mpaudiorenderer

If you want to use LAV audio decoder or bitstream the audio then it is not possible to use MP Audio Renderer. LAV audio decoder will be compatible at some day, bitstreaming and changing the playback speed is not possible - not even on theory it will work since the speedup is done by resampling the audio (which alters the audio stream).

wouter1971

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 19, 2008
    Purmerend, Holland
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    bit of topic:

Lotsofjazz: Please install SAF5, this is ffdshow based en get rid of you ac3filter, it is realy outdated.
    See: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/codecs-331/saf-v6-00-based-lavf-95635/index106.html#post790836
    mpaudiorenderer works perfectly with ffdshow. Don't worry about merits, if you install SAF it says to uninstall ac3filter so thats why it's not working great together.
    During SAF install say no to all spdif/hdmi out questions, set up for normal audio output. And don't forget to uncheck the mixer in ffdshow audio settings. Now enable ac3 encoding in mpaudiorenderer registrysettings. Now see fabulous results from mpaudiorenderer.

Lotsofjazz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    , because I want my DTS audio and AC3 audio untouched pass through via SPDIF to my Marantz receiver

You can't change the video frame rate (speed) and leave the audio untouched, so it's impossible to do what you suggest....

Tony

yeah, I figured that out.. logical of course :)

bit of topic:

@Lotsofjazz: Please install SAF5, this is ffdshow based en get rid of you ac3filter, it is realy outdated.
    See: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/codecs-331/saf-v6-00-based-lavf-95635/index106.html#post790836
    mpaudiorenderer works perfectly with ffdshow. Don't worry about merits, if you install SAF it says to uninstall ac3filter so thats why it's not working great together.
    During SAF install say no to all spdif/hdmi out questions, set up for normal audio output. And don't forget to uncheck the mixer in ffdshow audio settings. Now enable ac3 encoding in mpaudiorenderer registrysettings. Now see fabulous results from mpaudiorenderer.

ffdshow was last updated in 2002, an Alpha release in 2004, since then development has come to a stand still. AC3filter was updated the last time end of 2009.. So what is old? :)

And what Hoborg tells in his response is plain wrong, AC3filter does support HD Audio for re-encoding.. SPDIF doesnt! So that is why you need AC3filter, it re-encodes the HD audio to AC3 and sends that to SPDIF out.. and what is HD audio? most of the time only more channels (6.1 and 7.1 in stead of max 5.1 that SPDIF can support) Only DTS-HD and TrueSound provide theoretically a higher quality sound because of the higher sample frequency (SPDIF max 640) But my experience is that for richness and clarity of sound the amp itself is way more important, that is why I have still my 10 year old Marantz, which has only analouge speaker outputs and a few SPDIF toslinks for digital audio input. I have tried yesterday and the AC3filter accepts a HD DTS stream fine, and re-encodes to normal AC3 perfectly

Note that AC3 filter does not realy decode the audio for me, it only re-enncodes to AC3 in case it is not AC3 already or standard DTS. I need that so it can be send over the SPDIF to my high end Marantz Home Theatre audio amplifier.

I wonder if your setup also has a SPDIF connection with a seperate high end home theatre system.. I do not have the speakers directly to my HTPC and I do not want to.. Computer speakers are crap 90% of the time.

But I think I understand what you do, and it might work for me as well, but I will try to achieve without SAF...

What need to be accomplished is that first the audio and video is decoded, then corrected for the frame rate and then Audio only re-encoded into AC3, from what I understand from you mpaudioencoder can do that for me?. I have to figure out how to do this, but I think this should be possible without SAF, because from what I notice you only need the audio decoder of ffdshow, right? so why not install that by myself and avoid the other hassles SAF generates.

As a side question, how does this affect sound? will music not get out of tune too much? I am a musician myself so I have trained ear for that unfortunately, I hear immediately when something is out of tune.

We will get there, thanks :)

Lots

Lotsofjazz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Current release versions of FFDShow are here - ffdshow tryouts | Official Website - and the very latest is here - ffdshow - Browse /SVN builds by clsid at SourceForge.net

Tony

Owkeee, this makes a huge differece, i did not know about this fork, will start experimenting with this today!

As I said, we will get there! :)

Lots

Marantz receiver which has of course much better decoders inside. All audio have to go throuhg the SPDIF

Why says so? Even thou it is off topic - there is not much difference about the software based decoders and the HW ones. If at all. Before making assumptions about the audio quality please do some blind listening tests :)

so I am afraid I cant use this mpaudiorenderer

If you want to use LAV audio decoder or bitstream the audio then it is not possible to use MP Audio Renderer. LAV audio decoder will be compatible at some day, bitstreaming and changing the playback speed is not possible - not even on theory it will work since the speedup is done by resampling the audio (which alters the audio stream).

I actually have done listening tests, and the Marantz decoders came out as best.. but to be honest that was a few years ago. I just discovered that there has been a group that contimued the development of ffdshow, I will try this route s see how it comes out with MPaudiorenderer.

Thanks,

Lots

Lotsofjazz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    ok I have added mpaudiorenderer to the registry and replaced the dshowhelper, but I do not have the Team Mediaporal key......

EDIT: Found it, I had to run Mediaportal one time with Mediaportal Audio renderer selected to get the registry key generated.

Lots

Lotsofjazz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    After a whole night trial and error, I cant figure it out what to do... I cant get the Audio send over SPDIF as 5.1 AC3, all Audio is re-encoded by MPaudioencoder as 2.0 stereo

I have enabled the AC3encoder in MPaudioencoder registry settings,
    Set the transfer rate to 640 (max)
    Removed AC3filter (it was used when playing video with DTS audio only)
    Removed LAV Filters, reinstalled Haali.
    Set ffdshow as audiodecoder for all types of video and TV
    unticked all tick boxes in audio output, except the 16b/sec sample rate
    unticked the mixer
    Set all Audio codecs to libavcodec if stable (or something)

Result: When playing a Movie with beautiful DTS audio or AC3 5.1 (or any other multichannel audio stream), it doesnt get out over the SPDIF as 5.1, but as plain stereo.

I am sure it must be something simple, but I cant figure it out, so anybody here knows how to get AC3 5.1 out of my SPDIF with mpaudiorenderer? So my receiver can reproduce 5.1 audio? (..and hopefully very close to the original)

Video seemed smoother indeed, so it seems to be working, but with bad stereo audio, it is worse of an experience then before with a little stutter.

Thanks.

Lots

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom