MediaPortal Audio renderer - better video playback quality (1 Viewer)

Seeco

Portal Pro
October 15, 2007
Linköping
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
OK, thanks for that.

I have now tried a whole bunch of different videos, blu-ray rip .mkv's, tv-show HD .mkv's, PAL DVD .ISO's, regular PAL .avi's. Before I've had different amounts of stutter problems with all of them. Now though, I'm seeing the smoothest playback ever! The Shift + 1 OSD shows almost completely flat lines, where it used to look like the Rockies :)

BTW, I'm using the MP refresh rate changer, matching all material FPS to RR.

Thank you!

The only little flaw I can see is the thing with the defunct volume changing.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I have now tried a whole bunch of different videos, blu-ray rip .mkv's, tv-show HD .mkv's, PAL DVD .ISO's, regular PAL .avi's. Before I've had different amounts of stutter problems with all of them. Now though, I'm seeing the smoothest playback ever! The Shift + 1 OSD shows almost completely flat lines, where it used to look like the Rockies :)

Nice to hear. Could you post a bit more details on the audio HW? Just to gather some data.

The only little flaw I can see is the thing with the defunct volume changing.

WASAPI exclusive mode wont allow volume to be changed (unless the audio renderer would implement that kind of stream resampling itself). Volume control should be avaible in non-exclusive mode.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Re: AW: MediaPortal Audio renderer - better video playback quality

If that kind of information is avaiable why could not display it on the video renderer display info. Could be usefully.

It would be impossible to read that kind of statistics. For example every single frame would contain a different 1 to 4 number value how early the audio sample was received (actually the value would change even multiple times during a presentation time of one frame). Thats why it is only logged.

Seeco

Portal Pro
    October 15, 2007
    Linköping
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Tourettes: I see, so there aren't any drawbacks to using this WASAPI in non-exclusive mode?

My motherboard is an Asrock 4core 1333-FullHD. It's this one:

ASRock > Products > 4Core1333-FullHD

It only says

- 7.1 CH Windows® Vista™ Premium Level HD Audio (ALC888 Audio Codec)
    - Chipset embedded HDMI Audio

I'm not sure of what to make of that. The Win 7 system info isn't very revealing either.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Tourettes: I see, so there aren't any drawbacks to using this WASAPI in non-exclusive mode?

Currently it is less compatible than the exclusive mode since if audio hardware is using some specific mixing format then the renderer cannot render. This can be checked only with testing. At later state the renderer will be able to overcome such limitation by internal resampling.

mironicus

Portal Pro
    March 9, 2008
    AW: MediaPortal Audio renderer - better video playback quality

I am testing the Audio renderer the whole time now. I found another problem files - the audio begins to stutter (after 40 seconds playtime) and the log shows massive "Buffer underruns". Log and picture attached. The behaviour is reproducable on both of my systems.

24-07-2010 22:20:11.519 [ fa0] Render thread: Buffer underrun, no new samples available!

EDIT: In the Haali Media Splitter there is a setting for "Input buffer size". The default value is 8192. If I increase the value to 16384 the stutter is shifted so the audio stutter begins at 1:20 minutes of the video (with buffer 8192 the stutter begins at 00:40). With the default Directsound Audiorenderer it works fine.

Very fishy.

Attachments

• stutter-audio.jpg
      stutter-audio.jpg
      73.2 KB

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Re: AW: MediaPortal Audio renderer - better video playback quality

I am testing the Audio renderer the whole time now. I found another problem files - the audio begins to stutter (after 40 seconds playtime) and the log shows massive "Buffer underruns". Log and picture attached. The behaviour is reproducable on both of my systems.

24-07-2010 22:20:11.519 [ fa0] Render thread: Buffer underrun, no new samples available!

EDIT: In the Haali Media Splitter there is a setting for "Input buffer size". The default value is 8192. If I increase the value to 16384 the stutter is shifted so the audio stutter begins at 1:20 minutes of the video (with buffer 8192 the stutter begins at 00:40). With the default Directsound Audiorenderer it works fine.

Could you upload again one of those files? Sounds like something fishy indeed (probably with the file itself in combination of the audio renderer).

sjeffrey

Portal Pro
    August 22, 2008
    Canada
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I couldn't find anything in this thread about 64 bit.
    I'm on Windows 7 64 bit and can't register mpaudiorenderer.ax. I tried in different folders and using regsvr32 from system32 or syswow64.
    No luck. Has any tried on 64 bit?

vuego

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 5, 2006
    Göteborg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Yes, I tried it on Windows 7 64 bit. You can put it where ever you like but you need to start cmd as administrator (open start menu, type cmd and press Ctrl+Shift+Enter).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom