MediaPortal Audio renderer - better video playback quality (3 Viewers)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Re: AW: MediaPortal Audio renderer - better video playback quality

@tourettes

I can reproduce the issue with the muted sound also on my second test system (Phenom II-955 with Radeon 5770). In this case I am using the onboard audio with VIA HD soundchip. I can also switch to the ATI HDMI sound device if it is necessary.

The attached picture was captured nearly at the end of the videofile were the sound was already muted for a few seconds. The video file is an MKV with 1080P 23.97 fps (DXVA on) and uncompressed PCM sound.

I also enabled the new Sample timing log modus. The 13 dropped frames you'll see in the picture were dropped at the beginning of the video file (normal behaviour with DXVA-enabled videos).

Looks like the audio indeed is drifting away. At the end the samples are already arriving 9+ seconds earlier than the current presentation time is (it is normal that the samples are a bit less than 1 second early since if they would arrive just in the time they would be rendered always late).

24-07-2010 15:26:52.528 [ 228] rtTime: 81345.752 ms rtSampleTime: 90968.750 ms diff -9622.998 ms
    24-07-2010 15:26:52.528 [ 228] rtTime: 81345.752 ms rtSampleTime: 91000.000 ms diff -9654.248 ms

I think what happens is that the media speedup is not working. Since the display is 50Hz and source material's fps is 23.976 the bias shouldn't be 1.0.

Could you upload one small sample of such file that I could check why the EVR presenter is failing to calculate the correct bias value. Also please check if the A/V sync issue is present on 25 fps material on 50 Hz.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005

@tourettes

I can reproduce the issue with the muted sound also on my second test system (Phenom II-955 with Radeon 5770). In this case I am using the onboard audio with VIA HD soundchip. I can also switch to the ATI HDMI sound device if it is necessary.

The attached picture was captured nearly at the end of the videofile were the sound was already muted for a few seconds. The video file is an MKV with 1080P 23.97 fps (DXVA on) and uncompressed PCM sound.

I also enabled the new Sample timing log modus. The 13 dropped frames you'll see in the picture were dropped at the beginning of the video file (normal behaviour with DXVA-enabled videos).

Looks like the audio indeed is drifting away. At the end the samples are already arriving 9+ seconds earlier than the current presentation time is (it is normal that the samples are a bit less than 1 second early since if they would arrive just in the time they would be rendered always late).

24-07-2010 15:26:52.528 [ 228] rtTime: 81345.752 ms rtSampleTime: 90968.750 ms diff -9622.998 ms
    24-07-2010 15:26:52.528 [ 228] rtTime: 81345.752 ms rtSampleTime: 91000.000 ms diff -9654.248 ms

I think what happens is that the media speedup is not working. Since the display is 50Hz and source material's fps is 23.976 the bias shouldn't be 1.0.

Could you upload one small sample of such file that I could check why the EVR presenter is failing to calculate the correct bias value. Also please check if the A/V sync issue is present on 25 fps material on 50 Hz.

Oh, just noticed that if it 60Hz not 50Hz. JPEG artefacts was causing my brain to fart. So, I would say that it is completely expected behavior currently since 23.976 would require more than 6% speedup. One thing that can be done is to reduce the drifting (hopefully removing it completely) is to disable the sync correction when bias is 1.0 and refresh rate and source materials fps dont match, since now the EVR presenter is telling to audio renderet that it should adjust the audio resampling a bit, but those are just not working since the major (bias) is not even near the correct speed.

mironicus

Portal Pro
    March 9, 2008
    AW: MediaPortal Audio renderer - better video playback quality

tourettes

The log I posted above is from my Desktop system which runs indeed with 60 Hz. My HTPC that is connected with the TV runs with the native refreshrates that the videofile have (23,976 fps videofile/23,976 Hz TV) and shows the same issue.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005

@tourettes

The log I posted above is from my Desktop system which runs indeed with 60 Hz. My HTPC that is connected with the TV runs with the native refreshrates that the videofile have (23,976 fps videofile/23,976 Hz TV) and shows the same issue.

Tehn the issue is even more weird since two completely different setups are affected (and the other one I have already an explanation :O). Dunno what is going on.

Could you copy the logs and screen shot frpm the HTPC as well?

mironicus

Portal Pro
    March 9, 2008

Perhaps the problem lies in the video file as it uses uncompressed audio? I saw in the log that Mediaportal disposes the MPA audio decoder if this file is played.

Look at the attached picture. Graphstudio shows that there is NO directshow audio filter involved as Windows sends the audio directly to the Directsound Device. So maybe the current Mediaportal Audio renderer needs a working audio directshowfilter in the filter chain to work correctly...?

Attachments

• graphstudio_file.png
      graphstudio_file.png
      52.3 KB

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005

Perhaps the problem lies in the video file as it uses uncompressed audio? I saw in the log that Mediaportal disposes the MPA audio decoder if this file is played.

Look at the attached picture. Graphstudio shows that there is NO directshow audio filter involved as Windows sends the audio directly to the Directsound Device. So maybe the current Mediaportal Audio renderer needs a working audio directshowfilter in the filter chain to work correctly...?

I assume that the screen shot was taken only when building the graph manually in graphedit (since there was audiorenderer.log available even when it is not in the graph :))

It is still odd that missing audio decoder would cause A/V sync drifting (audio HW cannot consume any more samples than the audio sampling rate allows). One possibility is that the resampling is done, please disable the resampling feature in registry. Other possibility is that the source filter / splitter is pushing data too quickly and audio renderer drops some samples (this should be reproducable on my end, and quite easy to write some trotthling code when samples are arriving (blick the stream so our queues aren't filling up).

mironicus

Portal Pro
    March 9, 2008

One possibility is that the resampling is done, please disable the resampling feature in registry.

You mean "EnableTimestretching"? I set this to 0, no change.

I also enabled FFDShow audio decoder to process uncompressed sound, so it did go into the filter chain. The same happens, the sounds goes away. Video and Audio is in synch the whole time. It just does not play the last 9-10 seconds audio. You can test it yourself now.

Seeco

Portal Pro
    October 15, 2007
    Linköping
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I'm getting some error message when trying to register the .ax file. I put the file at C: root, and typed regsvr32 mpaudiorenderer.ax at command prompt. Then I get the message (roughly):

The module was read, but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with the error code 0x80070005

I am using Win 7 btw. Any ideas?

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    The module was read, but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with the error code 0x80070005

HRESULT: 0x80070005 (2147942405)
    Name: E_ACCESSDENIED

You need to have administrator level rights. Opening commend promt with "run as administrator" should solve it.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005

One possibility is that the resampling is done, please disable the resampling feature in registry.

You mean "EnableTimestretching"? I set this to 0, no change.

I also enabled FFDShow audio decoder to process uncompressed sound, so it did go into the filter chain. The same happens, the sounds goes away. Video and Audio is in synch the whole time. It just does not play the last 9-10 seconds audio. You can test it yourself now.

I can reproduce the issue on my dev PC. In exlcusive mode audio is stopped approx 9 seconds before the end of the video file (no audio / video sync drifting is happening, sounds like the audio just stops). Something weird going on...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom