MediaPortal Audio renderer - better video playback quality (10 Viewers)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I also have onboard Realtek (yuk!) and a GTX460, which will transmit sound over HDMI - will this no longer work? (haven't tried with this renderer)

GTX460 would give better results than the Xonar. Xonar's current drivers are bad at the best. We are talking about digital audio so anything that can pass the bits will have as good sound quality. Realtek would give better results than Xonar if both are only able to use SPDIF.

If you are planning to use MP audio renderer I would recommend to use the GTX460 - it simply has superior drivers when compared to Xonar. If Xonar would have good drivers then the audio quality would be 1:1 with the Nvidia (bit is a bit - no matter what company has produced the HW).

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Can I just ask.. Does the WASAPI exclusive mode problem affect all Xonar cards? I have a Xonar DS, and suffer with lip sync problems using the MP Audio Renderer.

What type of lipsync issue it is? Audio is constantly ahead or late the same amount? If yes then you can reduce the DevicePeriod setting in registry for the audio renderer (50000 would be 5 ms).

If the issue is that audio sync will constantly drift bigger then current MP audio renderer is just incompatible with Xonar (drifting data is reseted constantly because the clock is not stable on Xonar's drivers - a workaround / different way of handling the drift data reset is already in SVN so the next version should be more compatible with Xonar).

psykix

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 10, 2009
    Wirral
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thanks for the quick reply!

I am using a BDV-E370 (bluray home cinema all in one thing!!) and it has no HDMI in, so I think I may replace it with an Onkyo all in one or similar since I don't use the Bluray player on the Sony any more since I built the HTPC..

I'll give it a whirl over HDMI to the TV later and see if all issues are resolved. If so, looks like I am spending some money tomorrow on the Onkyo!!

Can I just ask.. Does the WASAPI exclusive mode problem affect all Xonar cards? I have a Xonar DS, and suffer with lip sync problems using the MP Audio Renderer.

What type of lipsync issue it is? Audio is constantly ahead or late the same amount? If yes then you can reduce the DevicePeriod setting in registry for the audio renderer (50000 would be 5 ms).

If the issue is that audio sync will constantly drift bigger then current MP audio renderer is just incompatible with Xonar (drifting data is reseted constantly because the clock is not stable on Xonar's drivers - a workaround / different way of handling the drift data reset is already in SVN so the next version should be more compatible with Xonar).

I'm not sure - it doesn't seem to get any worse to be honest, and it is not massive, but it IS noticeable - the wife commented on it, so it must be!!!

I could try the registry setting and see how I go.. would be nice not to have to spend some money just yet on a new surround system!!

I'm made up with the video now, it is rock solid, so thanks for that!

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Thanks for the quick reply!

I am using a BDV-E370 (bluray home cinema all in one thing!!) and it has no HDMI in, so I think I may replace it with an Onkyo all in one or similar since I don't use the Bluray player on the Sony any more since I built the HTPC..

I'll give it a whirl over HDMI to the TV later and see if all issues are resolved. If so, looks like I am spending some money tomorrow on the Onkyo!!

Better test that the GT460 wont have that issue before pouring money to the Onkyo Silent stream / corrupted audio with NVidia HDMI audio drivers - AVS Forum :)

Could all Nvidia card ownwers with a HDMI connection test that issue?

psykix

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 10, 2009
    Wirral
    Home Country
    Hmm.. That doesn't bode well!

I just had a look on the Asus website, and it seems that a new driver has been posted dated 22/10/2010 (and it wasn't there yesterday when I rebuilt my PC) - it doesn't make any reference to fixes for this particular problem, but it may be worth trying.

I'll have a play around later with delay, and also test GTX460 HDMI and see how I get on!

red5goahead

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 24, 2007
    Italy, North West
    Home Country
    Italy Italy

Yes. Xonar DS is affected even DX . Use Ac3filter instead ffdshow. Much better for lip sync. disable HWBasedRefClock (=0), disable WASAPIUseEventMode (=0), put 1551 in ChannelMaskOverride_5_1.
    Xonar have problem with event mode , wasapi excluvive work fine in polling mode.

Hmm.. That doesn't bode well!

I just had a look on the Asus website, and it seems that a new driver has been posted dated 22/10/2010

That kind of news should be posted with care for Asus owners hearts.... :D :D
    pretty sure wasapi issue was not solved.

psykix

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 10, 2009
    Wirral
    Home Country
    Nothing I did made any difference to the lip sync issue. (I tried all the combinations of suggestions posted above)

I have switched to using the GTX460 HDMI (through the TV only) and it is perfect.

I'll give up with the Xonar!

Looks like a surround system that will accept HDMI input is on the cards....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom