MediaPortal Audio renderer - better video playback quality (1 Viewer)

Seeco

Portal Pro
October 15, 2007
Linköping
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
OK, here it goes. The type of fluctuation that can be seen here comes maybe every 15-20 seconds. One thing though - I tried another ripped HD movie which seemed to play fine. But this one haven't given me any problems before, so...

Attachments

• stutter.png
    stutter.png
    744.1 KB

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    OK, here it goes. The type of fluctuation that can be seen here comes maybe every 15-20 seconds. One thing though - I tried another ripped HD movie which seemed to play fine. But this one haven't given me any problems before, so...

Have you checked with DPC latency cheker (DPC Latency Checker) if there is some HW / driver issue? Since the graphs have only "one" glitch that appears suddently I would assume it is something external that steals the CPU/GPU time from rendering process.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    New release available for testing: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/637138-post3.html

version 18 - based on SVN revision 26672

• Fixed audio delay value - delay was always 10x bigger than it was configured in registry. Remember to update the setting if you have used it (set to non zero value).
    • Disabled AC3 encoding when audio stream is either mono or stereo. Improves sound quality when PCM instead of AC3 can be used
    • Fixed AC3 drifting calculations - no more jumpy dirft values
    • Reduced drift allowed window back to 8 ms with 1:1, 1:2 or 1:3 material

Seeco

Portal Pro
    October 15, 2007
    Linköping
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Well since it is only certain files that have these problemsI thought it shouldn't be HW related, but I don't know? I let the Latency tester run for a couple of minutes. The maximum latency was 157 (in whatever unit), and the program said that I shouldn't have any problems. I'll run the video while checking CPU load etc as well. I have a high spec PC so it has more than enough grunt.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Well since it is only certain files that have these problemsI thought it shouldn't be HW related, but I don't know? I let the Latency tester run for a couple of minutes. The maximum latency was 157 (in whatever unit), and the program said that I shouldn't have any problems. I'll run the video while checking CPU load etc as well. I have a high spec PC so it has more than enough grunt.

Oh, didn't see it is only few specific files. In that case it shouldn't be EVR renderer nor the audio renderer related issue at all, but instead something before those in the filter chain. Does those "drops" happen in the same place of the file when you play the file again? Or is it just random behavior?

Also try using non-DXVA since ATI has issues with some "scene" encodings for H264. Also ATI has issues with corrupting some specific DVB H264 content - could be related to this as well.

davidf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 3, 2006
    Scotland
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    red5goahead

Could you try with the attached Renderer (which contains extensive logging), and upload the AudioRender.log afterwards and I'll see if there is any way to make the Xonar numbers fit. Stop playback when you can estimate the drift size and direction, otherwise the file will be huge even when zipped, but at least 10 minutes. That should be enough for me to figure out if there is a pattern in the hardware clock i can use to correct the drifting.

Cheers

Attachments

• mpaudiorendererXonarLogging.zip
      142.1 KB

doornjoostje

Portal Pro
    December 6, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Ok, I've been trying this for a while already and tonight took some time to properly set the config.
    I have Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 with Realtek ALC889 codec under Windows 7.
    With 5.1 analogue sound connected directly.

When I set the audio output settings to output 16 bit integer and enable EnableAC3Encoding using live or recorded TV both stereo and AC3 play perfect.
    But when I start a DVD / HD movie the sound doesn't contain the voices of people.

Then if enable pass-trough the sound if perfect but not lip synced, as described.

When I enable 16 bits LPCM the sound is correct and lip synced, but I can't lower the volume with the MP remote.

Is there anything else I can do to get correct sound, synced correctly and using the MP remote?

Thanks in advance.

davidf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 3, 2006
    Scotland
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    doornjoostje - did the peoples voices only disappear in v18 or has it always been that way? Another thing to look at is the codecs used for DVD vs the codecs used during TV playback in Mediaportal Configuration, is there a difference?

Pass through lipsync, as you know, does not lend itself to the audio corrections needed as the Audio Renderer cannot control the hardware. The lack of volume control through Mediaportal is however a Mediaportal limitation because of the way that the volume is managed in the application. The volume interface has been built but there is no way to use it due to the limitations at present but this may change in the future (MP2).

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005

Analog cannot be used for AC3 encoding. AC3 is digital output format. Or does this mean that you have coaxial SPDIF instead of the fiber cable? -> S/PDIF - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When I set the audio output settings to output 16 bit integer and enable EnableAC3Encoding using live or recorded TV both stereo and AC3 play perfect.
    But when I start a DVD / HD movie the sound doesn't contain the voices of people.

If the connection was analog then using AC3 encoding makes MP audio renderer to reject the incoming formats since it cannot output those to WASAPI device (device will reject those). So, what has most likely happened is that directsound default audio renderer was used.

Then if enable pass-trough the sound if perfect but not lip synced, as described.

Was this done in ffdshow or other audio codec settings? If yes this will also make MP audio renderer to reject the audio stream. It cannot operate on encoded streams like stated in the 1st post of this thread.

When I enable 16 bits LPCM the sound is correct and lip synced, but I can't lower the volume with the MP remote.

Is there anything else I can do to get correct sound, synced correctly and using the MP remote?

This time most likely the audio renderer was correctly used (logs would help :)). Again, the 1st post would have stated that the MP audio renderer is not currently providing volume control support (WASAPI exclusive mode disables all OS level volume control and there is no own implementation yet that would allow the volume level changes).

I would recommend everyone to "find a way" to use the amp's remote to control the volume level since doing it on PC side will reduce the audio stream dynamics and ruins the audio quality (the lower the volume would be set the worser the audio quality would be - this is one of the reasons why I haven't kept any hurry with volume implementation, quality should come first).

doornjoostje

Portal Pro
    December 6, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Thanks for the replies.

doornjoostje - did the peoples voices only disappear in v18 or has it always been that way?
    The issue with the voices is not related MediaPortal Audio renderer (nor v18)

Another thing to look at is the codecs used for DVD vs the codecs used during TV playback in Mediaportal Configuration, is there a difference?
    I use SAF v5 unlocked with the preferred settings. The settings for audio is for Video / TV / DVD all ffshow.

Pass through lipsync, as you know, does not lend itself to the audio corrections needed as the Audio Renderer cannot control the hardware.
    The lack of volume control through Mediaportal is however a Mediaportal limitation because of the way that the volume is managed in the application.
    The volume interface has been built but there is no way to use it due to the limitations at present but this may change in the future (MP2).

Analog cannot be used for AC3 encoding. AC3 is digital output format. Or does this mean that you have coaxial SPDIF instead of the fiber cable? -> S/PDIF - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I mean that I connect the analogue output not using SPDIF.
    The boxes are directly connected to the PC.

Was this done in ffdshow or other audio codec settings?
    ffdshow indeed.

The DVD and the HD I watch contain AC3 sound only.
    If I use 16 integer output, no pass-trough and disable EnableAC3Encoding in register, I get incorrect sound.
    I will try with this settings to watch the HD movie and collect the logs.
    Tonight I will be home after midnight, so go into my bed directly.
    Will collect the logs this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom