MediaPortal Audio renderer - better video playback quality (1 Viewer)

Redemption80

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 21, 2010
    Glasgow
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Yeah, if the driver is saying its 24hz when your selecting 23.976 then it will be slightly sped up, is this a big issue for you, as there will always be a small amount of resampling done using this renderer anyway.

Would be silly that AMD have changed this in their drivers though, as it was a selling point for me when picking a card, as with Nvidia cards 23/24 are both 24hz for me.

mironicus

Portal Pro
    March 9, 2008
    AW: MediaPortal Audio renderer - better video playback quality

I recently upgraded my media PC and of course reinstalled everything. One disturbing thing is that I don't have the 23Hz option in CCC anymore, I don't know how changing the MB would affect that.

Try to uncheck "GPU scaling" in the Catalyst driver. You can also force the refreshrates in the Catalyst driver.

Seeco

Portal Pro
    October 15, 2007
    Linköping
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Thanks for the answers. GPU scaling has been unchecked all along, and adding the 1080p24 resolution in CCC does nothing. Another strange thing is that I still have the 59Hz option under 1080p, but when I activate it the resolution changes to some 720p variant instead. Typically weird CCC behaviour if you ask me. Wouldn't surprise me if it all changed with a CCC reinstall, but I have messed up my system enough times trying that.

EDIT:
    I just noticed that my Pioneer plasma is now identified as a "generic pnp monitor" in windows. Before it has always (as far as I remember) been identified as a Pioneer TV. That would probably have something to do with it, right? I also thought of another thing that's different from before. I am now using the x64 version of Windows 7. Maybe that affects these things?

Redemption80

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 21, 2010
    Glasgow
    Home Country
    Any updates here, been dead for a wee while.

I've ended up forcing direct sound just to keep sync perfect, and tbh i can live with the worse sound quality for now, but looking forward to something new on this, even if most of my issues are realated to my crappy sound card drivers.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Any updates here, been dead for a wee while.

Sorry for not giving any status reports earlier, but I have been a bit busy lately (with other stuff than the audio renderer as well).

I''m currently testing a new binary that should solve the drifting at least partly (with Windows 7 video decoder related workaround as well).

I've ended up forcing direct sound just to keep sync perfect, and tbh i can live with the worse sound quality for now, but looking forward to something new on this, even if most of my issues are realated to my crappy sound card drivers.

Forcing direcsound to be used should have the same A/V sync drifting issue since the resampling etc. are same. Actual rendering is not affecting the drifting.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    But now to the problem: With the current version the sound will stop as soon as a commercial break is over. I guess the change of the sound format causes the trouble. I have attached a sample where the issue appears. The last few seconds of the advertisement for the beer would have no sound and it stays that way. And as soon as I try to skip to another position, MP freezes completely. Same applies for the end of the video file, which is reached very quickly on that small sample. The logs are from such an occasion.

Thanks for the sample, I can reproduce the issue with it when using AC3 audio track.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    But now to the problem: With the current version the sound will stop as soon as a commercial break is over. I guess the change of the sound format causes the trouble. I have attached a sample where the issue appears. The last few seconds of the advertisement for the beer would have no sound and it stays that way. And as soon as I try to skip to another position, MP freezes completely. Same applies for the end of the video file, which is reached very quickly on that small sample. The logs are from such an occasion.

Thanks for the sample, I can reproduce the issue with it when using AC3 audio track.

Hopefully I managed to fix that issue, at least it looks like I cannot reproduce that anymore after a minor change how stream type chnages are handled.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Just a side note: if you have TS files with dropped data you need to keep ffdshow's "jitter correction" setting as enabled, otherwise the A/V sync will break (I guess this is ffdshow bug since the sample times seems to be invalid...).

Redemption80

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 21, 2010
    Glasgow
    Home Country
    Forcing directsound to be used should have the same A/V sync drifting issue since the resampling etc. are same. Actual rendering is not affecting the drifting.

No need to apologize, not like its your paid job.

Weird about the DirectSound thing, forcing it definitely sorts it for me, will mess about with the settings on the soundcard, and some other drivers to see if the issues is being cased elsewhere.

micko

Portal Pro
    May 27, 2006
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    I haven't read this thread for a while, because I thought it may take some more time until that audio HW-based ref clock is ready to be tested. But it really is there already.. great work guys :)

As there is stated it's not currently helping with drifting problem and I can confirm it too. Just glad to know there is something going on with it and I'm ready to test upcoming versions too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom