MediaPortal Audio renderer - better video playback quality (2 Viewers)

edterbak

Portal Pro
March 4, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Im thinking of abandoning the xonar as well. its crap with wasapi. Red5 and me seem to be proffesionally ignored by the asus team.

just a quick question.
Is the onboard sound on the ATI 5670 any good in this cause?

PS tourettes... Needless to say the xonar isnt working propperly here as well with the new drivers. :(

red5goahead

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 24, 2007
    Italy, North West
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Nothing I did made any difference to the lip sync issue. (I tried all the combinations of suggestions posted above)

I have switched to using the GTX460 HDMI (through the TV only) and it is perfect.

I'll give up with the Xonar!

Looks like a surround system that will accept HDMI input is on the cards....

Try with my registry entries

I'll wait for the Xonar. Meanwhile I'm using reclock and glad to keep test with MP audio renderer.

Attachments

• mpaudiorender_XONAR.zip
      573 bytes

psykix

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 10, 2009
    Wirral
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Well.. I ordered an Onkyo HTX22HD with the extra 5.1 speakers today, and it will be here tomorrow. Hopefully it doesn't suffer from the same problem that the amps do!

Anyway, the Xonar is no longer in my system, and the picture and sound are perfect through my TV over HDMI at the moment.

Fingers crossed!

red5goahead

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 24, 2007
    Italy, North West
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Im thinking of abandoning the xonar as well. its crap with wasapi. Red5 and me seem to be proffesionally ignored by the asus team.
    just a quick question.

If you have an A/V receiver with hdmi there are no problems to use hdmi and multi-channel pcm audio format instead xonar and analog or spd/if ac3 encoded streaming. If you have not and A/V receiver with hdmi but only digital or optical input such as my own one, Xonar remains best choice for quality. Unfortunately there are several issues about drivers and wasapi support don't forget but directsound work fine asio either. maybe wasapi or asio is not considered as primary.

or maybe I'm italian and so I'm less susceptible by the inefficiency :D

Redemption80

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 21, 2010
    Glasgow
    Home Country
    I'm also not far from abandoning the Xonar D2.

While i have no issues with it as a music card, and think the hardware itself is great, as a gaming card it has issues, all caused by drivers, as a card for movies, its ok as long as you don't use wasapi, which rules out perfect use of this renderer, or even ReClock, which has pops and clicks, and sometimes complete loss of audio.

I've given up on ReClock, mostly as i prefer this, but also because the developer seems to be more interested in fixing PAL speedup, than smooth video playback, though i imagine he must get frustrated at all the people using ReClock to speed up 24fps to 25fps:p

I also have a GTX460, so once i get a new receiver i will have the choice of bitstreaming HD audio, or better video playback and PCM over HDMI, even for music i would probably sell the D2 and get a better 2 channel card.

red5goahead

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 24, 2007
    Italy, North West
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    I've given up on ReClock, mostly as i prefer this, but also because the developer seems to be more interested in fixing PAL speedup, than smooth video playback, though i imagine he must get frustrated at all the people using ReClock to speed up 24fps to 25fps:p

I don't agree about Reclock . With new evr owl's renderer the play is perfectly smooth here in pal speedup up and when framerate match the refresh rate .either.

Let me summarize the xonar issues (i've a Dx)

1) channel mask is different than other audio card. this is not a issue because tourettes solve it by registry entry.
    2) xonar support 98 different modes in wasapi mode. the modes supported are similar than other cards.
    3) wasapi event driven mode is not supported very well. it cause an awfull sound. We can't used that mode. I've not yet undestand which kind of improvement could be without event driven mode issue by Xonar driver.
    4) hardware Based Reference Clock seems not work very well. it cause a awfull an a/v synch. but tourettes told us a new version will be avaible soon (am I right?).

final: here with no event driven mode enabled, without hardware Based Reference Clock enabled the xonar seems work . after a lot a minutes there is a little a/v synch issue. this is a problem but it's a personal issue maybe because drive me crazy that stuff :D:sorry:

Redemption80

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 21, 2010
    Glasgow
    Home Country
    Never said playback wasn't smooth with ReClock, i had no video issues with it at all, it was audio issues when i used wasapi with ReClock, gave up trying to find a fix, as i knew it was the card/drivers.

Yeah i saw the same issues your summarizing, and glad tourettes has sorted some of these.
    I've also heard the awful noise that even driven mode makes, and the A/V sync issues that Hardware Based RC brings, that appears unfixable, no matter what delay you set with ffdshow, or my receiver.

I've found that the same settings can kinda work, but still have issues, and while out of sync sound, even by as little as 10ms irritates and distracts me, for some reason i enjoy testing this, so i will just live with it until i get my new HT Receiver:D

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    3) wasapi event driven mode is not supported very well. it cause an awfull sound. We can't used that mode. I've not yet undestand which kind of improvement could be without event driven mode issue by Xonar driver.

Difference between event driven mode and the polling mode is related to the glitch resistant. In even driven mode the HW / drivers are telling to audio renderer when the WASAPI buffer is requiring filling where as in polling mode the audio renderer uses a timer to check the buffer state periodicly. There are two cons of that polling

1) It is not as robust so it is more error prone to have buffer underruns when there is some system activuty (high HD trafic, CPU usage etc.)
    2) It uses slightly more CPU (not enough to make any actual difference)

4) hardware Based Reference Clock seems not work very well. it cause a awfull an a/v synch. but tourettes told us a new version will be avaible soon (am I right?).

Code is ready and in SVN, but I'm currently waiting more test results from the v15 before releasing (and maybe few patches from davidf :)). The difference approach for the drift data collection reset should workaround the bad clock data we get (but the clock data still itself make some errors still - but should be at least better when it comes to fixing the drift on Xonar).

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    just a quick question.

If you have an A/V receiver with hdmi there are no problems to use hdmi and multi-channel pcm audio format instead xonar and analog or spd/if ac3 encoded streaming. If you have not and A/V receiver with hdmi but only digital or optical input such as my own one, Xonar remains best choice for quality.

• HDMI would be better from ATI since it has better drivers (no clock oddities, not as glitch prone since event driven mode works)
    • SPDIF is as good on MB as on Xonar - unless Xonas supports DTS encoding since that is not supported by the audio renderer since there is no open source encoder for DTS only for AC3

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom