MediaPortal Configuration crashing (1 Viewer)

The_Keymaker

Portal Member
February 11, 2014
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hello,

I have a Single seat installation on a PC to which I planned to connect for TV server using a client PC. The Single seat/TV server installation runs fine.

I've installed MediaPortal 1.6.0 (as client only) on the client PC and the install completed OK. However, when i try to start MediaPortal Configuration to configure my installation it crashes.

The client PC is Windows 8 x64, 6GB RAM with no TV cards.

My logs are attached.

Last edited:
February 25, 2014
Home Country
I have same or very similar issue; I suspect possibly related to Win Defender update. Have been through many hoops -- complete uninstalls, adding exceptions to Defender, try of MP1.7, registry checks, etc... but still can't run MP on Win 8.1 x64.

I am suspicious of Defender because after I first installed MP1.6 last week, and all was well. I was getting TV server and channels set (HD HR Prime), getting to know interface (and it looked great!), and looking at some plug-ins.

Then Thursday 2/20 MediaPortal began crashing to SadWindows (the 8.1 BSOD). Looking for answers, I saw the thread here about issues with Defender and started trying the exceptions, no change. Noticed Windows update from that AM and uninstalled it, no change (even after clean uninstall, re-install of both 1.6 and 1.7.

With most re-install attempts I would get config.exe crashing when I tried to open it, but not killing Windows.

Most recent attempt was after 1.7 install and install of MP-TVSeries 4.0.1. Now I can open Config.exe, but launching MediaPortal still brings on BSOD.

If someone lets me know what logfiles or dumps to post, I'd be happy to do so.

I'm looking forward to loving MP, but sure could use some help now! Thanks.

The_Keymaker

Portal Member
February 11, 2014
Home Country
I have another PC available so I will try and install on a NON-Windows 8.x PC and see if that is successful.

Regards.

February 25, 2014
Home Country
I also have some other machines I can give a shot. Started doing so on wife's laptop, and Norton was having a snit about SiliconDust... and I couldn't change the settings without her password. :confused:

I'll try it again today.[DOUBLEPOST=1393347058][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh, one other thing... don't know if it will help, but here is the report generated by WhoCrashed for the BSOD . Again, I'll happily upload specific logs if you tell me what ya need.

System Information (local)
computer name: HAWK
windows version: Windows 8 , 6.2, build: 9200
windows dir: C:\WINDOWS
Hardware: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., SABERTOOTH 990FX
CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor AMD586, level: 21
8 logical processors, active mask: 255
RAM: 8532606976 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 1913192448

Crash Dump Analysis
Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.
On Tue 2/25/2014 3:37:10 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\022514-25890-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: wdf01000.sys (Wdf01000+0x75CAA)
Bugcheck code: 0x10D (0x8, 0x1FFFFCE50FD8, 0x4, 0xFFFFE00002DE6E20)
Error: WDF_VIOLATION
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\wdf01000.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Kernel Mode Driver Framework Runtime
Bug check description: This indicates that Kernel-Mode Driver Framework (KMDF) detected that Windows found an error in a framework-based driver.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

Last edited:

The_Keymaker

Portal Member
February 11, 2014
Home Country
OK.

I was able to successfully install MediaPortal 1.6.0 (client only) and run MediaPortal configuration without crashing on a non-Windows 8.x PC.

The PC has Windows 7 home Basic x86 with 2GB of memory.

Maybe this issue has something to do with MediaPortal's compatibility with Windows 8.x OS?

Any help or suggestions would be nice! :)

The_Keymaker

Portal Member
February 11, 2014
Home Country
I took a stab at looking at the logs on the problematic Windows 8.0 client machine and it seems the Configuration logs stop at:
"[2014-02-25 22:32:14,394] [Config ] [Config Main] [INFO ] - add video database section"

This is a client setup ONLY and I see no reason why it would hang or crash at the video database section.

Can anyone help?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

The_Keymaker

Portal Member
    February 11, 2014
    Home Country
    This is a client setup ONLY and I see no reason why it would hang or crash at the video database section.

Can anyone help?
    It could hang or crash due to a corrupted database. Please post full logs so that we have all the information we need to be able to assist:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/16_Support/3_Forums/2_Log_Files

Use option 3 if necessary - exports existing log files.

Hello,

I tried what you requested, but to no avail. It didn;t work.

When I try to run MediaPortal for the first time, it automatically launches MediaPortal configuration and MediaPortal configuration won't even start! Therefore, The only logs available are the configuration logs I posted.

Attempting to launch MedaiPortal results in a "missing MediaPortal.xml" file because I can't even configure MediaPortal.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom