MediaPortal crash (and restart) on LiveTV after Windows Update (Sep 2020) driver update for Intel HD Graphics 4600 (2 Viewers)

AndreT

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 22, 2012
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hello everyone.

I've run into this issue recently on 2x systems that I manage for friends and family.

Both run MP 1.25 using the same HP EliteDesk800G1 hardware containing a very common Intel HD Graphics 4600 GPU and running Windows 10 x64 2004 Edition.

From about 19-Sep-20 Microsoft Windows Update started pushing out a new driver for the Intel HD Graphics 4600 to version 20.19.15.5126 (dated 21-Jan-2020). This driver causes MP to crash and restart when LiveTV is started.

Device Manager > {device} > driver > Roll back is not an option, nor is removing the Windows Update driver.

A solution for HP. Install sp94725.exe to get an older version 20.19.15.5063 of the Intel driver.

1x system silently re-installed the same newer Windows Update driver again after system restart. Applying sp94725 fixes it again but this is painful. Still researching this one. Not all systems get this updated driver from Windows Update even with same hardware. 3 other identical systems don't get the Windows Update driver. Weird!

I've briefly looked at Intel's website for a later driver but find compatibility issues trying to install it. I get a message something like, to go to your OEM for a driver. HP in my case.

Hope this helps someone out there.

Andre

AndreT

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 22, 2012
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hello again,

I now think this this may be a bug in media portal.

All 5x MP1 systems that I manage with this same hardware spec now crash media portal with newer Intel Graphics Drivers.

Have done some more testing with various Intel graphics drivers for my system up to the latest build 5144 from here: Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.40]

All newer versions of the driver (greater than build 5063) exhibit the same behavior. A MP crash when trying to watch TV.

Included logs, I'm willing to work with support to get a fix or a better work around so that I can enable windows updates and use the forced updated driver.

Hardware is HP EliteDesk 800 G1 Small Form Factor (SFF) PC Specifications | HP® Customer Support with 4x RTL2832U DVT-B

Thanks in advance.
    Andre

Attachments

• MediaPortalLogs_16_10_20__15_46.zip
      727.1 KB
    Last edited:

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    It would be very useful if you could provide more details on the crash, is it hard, does it always happen when you try and play TV or is it only after a specific event, e.g. first time after a system reboot, sleep/hibernate, watching a video or something like that, etc, etc. It would also be very helpful if you would clear all the logs then cause the crash, if hard or note the date and time of the crash and post a new log, with logging set to debug if not already.

AndreT

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 22, 2012
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi Joecrow,

Thank you for replying so quickly.

Using Intel driver build 5144, the latest available but the last 3 version also have the same problem. MP1 client Debug level logging. Old logs cleared.

The issue occurs within 1 second of starting a TV stream on any channel from the TV guide in the client. I usually hear about half a second of audio, a quick black screen (sometimes full screen, sometimes a small window) and then media portal client crashes back into windows and then automatically starts again. Note the configured 10 second delay before restart does not happen. The client restart is immediate. This crash I hope is captured in the first attached logs from timestamp 21:05

I then quit MP and restart via watchdog again and tried to view a recording. Attached log with timestamp 21:14. Same behavior again, crash and immediate client restart.

It does not seem to matter whether it is the first use after a reboot or any number of crashes after that. I can swap the Intel driver back to build 5063 without reboot and the MP1 client is immediately stable again. The 3rd logfile with timestamp 21:23 shows expected normal TV channel watching.

It is also interesting to note that in TV Server Configuration \ TV Channels \ All Channels I can select preview and with in 10 seconds I see and hear the channel in a small window. Same behavior for both Intel driver builds.

Hope this helps.

Please let me know if you need more detail.

Regards,
    Andre

Attachments

• MediaPortalLogs_16_10_20__21_05.zip
      361.9 KB
    • MediaPortalLogs_16_10_20__21_14.zip
      358.4 KB
    • MediaPortalLogs_16_10_20__21_23.zip
      357.9 KB
    Last edited:

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    As far as I can tell the error in the first 2 logs (same in both) above seems to confirm a graphics problem, not sure about the third log but I am no expert with logs so take this with a pinch of salt.
    Clearly the fact that all is OK when you roll back to an earlier graphics driver, certainly points a finger but is it only with MP? Are you able to play any other (non TV) vids or a DVD on the problem PCs either from within MP or via a different player?

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Unfortunately, the two members of the MP team who have some knowledge of this area are both occupied with real life at the moment, so I think that the chance of a fix in the near future is unlikely. :(

Two possible workarounds:

(1) Re-install the driver that works, and then permanently disconnect those systems from the internet (thus preventing the bad driver being re-installed).

(2) Install MP2. Although MP2 uses the same "TV Server" code as MP1, the problem with the display driver occurs during playback, and MP2 might have different logic that avoids the problem. But note:

(a) There might be a culture shock when you move from MP1 to MP2 (I have never used MP2, so I cannot speak from personal experience).

(b) Another MP1 user tried recently to move to MP2 (due to a show-stopper problem with MP1). He found that it was necessary to uninstall MP1 completely in order to get MP2 to install, but then could not solve the networking problems, so he re-installed MP1(which then worked for him). Your network might not suffer from the problems that he had, or you may be knowledgeable about networking and be able to solve the problems.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Unfortunately, the two members of the MP team who have some knowledge of this area are both occupied with real life at the moment, so I think that the chance of a fix in the near future is unlikely.
    @CyberSimian Do you know for certain that the cause of this problem is in MP1 because you are asking the OP to make significant changes to multiple PCs when it could be that the next driver release or even a setting change could fix it?

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Do you know for certain that the cause of this problem is in MP1
    No, I don't know (because I am not one of the two people who know anything about this area). However,
    I think that it would be unkind to allow the user to believe that an MP fix would be forthcoming in the near future.

Perhaps the user should report this problem on the Intel web site to see if Intel acknowledge that there is a problem with the Intel driver?

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

AndreT

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 22, 2012
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    As far as I can tell the error in the first 2 logs (same in both) above seems to confirm a graphics problem, not sure about the third log but I am no expert with logs so take this with a pinch of salt.
    Clearly the fact that all is OK when you roll back to an earlier graphics driver, certainly points a finger but is it only with MP? Are you able to play any other (non TV) vids or a DVD on the problem PCs either from within MP or via a different player?

Hi there,

From the Videos section in MP I can play all sorts of varying quality content (and origin) with no problem. I can also play the same TS recordings on the same PC outside of MP1 on VLC with no problem,

I had a look at the Codecs set for TV vs Video. All set to LAV filters. Updated to 0.74.2 and same result. I don't understand enough of the advanced settings to make a settings change in any particular direction with confidence.

Also had a play with MP2. Yeah it's different. On first look I hate it, after 10 or so goes at it I can almost work it out but it's not friendly. I can't get any videos to even appear in the video library. Will play some more and see if I can replicate the issues in MP2.

Appreciate any help or suggestions.

Yes have paused Windows Updates for 30 days to end of October, WU will then auto enable and re-install bad driver and then I can roll back again and pause update for another 30 days.

Yes I'll post on Intel's fourm, but I know the response. Install the driver from your OEM.
    So then I'll post on HPs website where their latest driver is the one that works but it gets replaced by WU. They will say the PC is no longer supported. EOL.
    I'll then post on a Windows forum and get crap from M$ haters telling me to use Linux as it is a real OS.

Probably easier to buy a cheap LP video card (AMD, NVidia) and go down that path.

Fun and games. I'll post back in about a week with an update.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi again

Understood regarding the Intel-HP-MS situation, typical!:rolleyes:
    I do have a couple of suggestions for you:-

LAV are you really sure you have a 0.74.2 because the latest release I am aware of is 0.74.1. Please take a look in the LAV Video Configuration (Windows Start menu) and enable the options highlighted (the rest should be default) in the screenshot below if not already enabled, you can also select for an additional test DVAX2 (Native) which should also work with Intel for TV but can cause problems with other formats so please don't leave it that way.
    (Unfortunately VLC does not use LAV it has its own integral filters, so your test using it was useful but does not eliminate the codecs.
    Lav.jpg

There is a very useful freeware program called DDU which will completely uninstall and clean up display device drivers and it also has an option to inhibit the Windows Device Manager from installing driver updates. If you want to give it a try run in safe mode and enable the setting shown in the screenshot below. Please note you must disconnect from the internet completely until you have installed the new driver or Windows may still install its own driver if it sees none installed.
    Untitled.jpg
    It is still possible for a driver update to be included in a regular Windows Update so the above may not be 100%. If you have Win 10 pro then it is possible via the Group Policy Editor to disable Windows Updates (see viaGoogle), it will still run updates if you click on the "Check for Updates" but at least it gives you full control over when if not what. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom